iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling cottonwood

Started by Crossroads, August 09, 2022, 04:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Had a customer drop off some cottonwood logs last week for me to mill into 2x10's. Started on it yesterday morning after I finished filling a couple of small Doug fir orders and finished up before noon today. When it was all said and done, I had 3129 bdft in 10 hours milling with no crew. That stuff is heavy and I'm tired, but it's done. 

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Walnut Beast

I would rather be on the producing end than the receiving end unless the stuff behaves 😂

moodnacreek

That is good footage for one man.

Crossroads

Lol, it behaved well coming off the mill. It will get cut into 4' pieces and spend its short life stopping axes. 

Thank you, it didn't seem like it was going very fast, but the smallest log had 260 bdft and the largest had 500. So, it added up pretty quick 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

Holy hernia Batman!! That skid steer is your best friend...Ya??  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

OlJarhead

wow!  good work!

Cottonwood is one of those I tend to think isn't worth milling lol it just moves much!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

KenMac

Way more than I can cut by myself!! I'm sure you are tired.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Crossroads

Yes sir, love my skiddy and so does my back! I'm beginning to like the board return as well 😁

When the gentleman called me about milling it, I was about to explain the horror stories I've heard about cottonwood moving as it dries, but he beat me to it and told me it was just going to be targets for throwing axes. 

moodnacreek

I just did aspen 6x6 for ax throwing. I had been giving them spruce. Wanted to see what I could get away with as the blocks are just wasted. They don't know and either do I. They tell me they wet them. It is like a bowling ally and they also have a liquor license. They invited me over, if I go I will go early :).

Crossroads

Yeah, throwing axes and drinking beer! What could possibly go wrong? 

DWyatt

The perk of cottonwood is give it 15 minutes and it will weigh half as much and probably be all twisted :D I suppose you could call that a perk.

barbender

Well it sounds like the axe throwers will be all twisted at about the same time, so I doubt anyone will notice😁
Too many irons in the fire

moodnacreek

When I first started sawing [1980] cottonwood and sycamore was about all we had. Did a small hay barn, small horse barn, old horse barn and 6 box stalls with the stuff. We did use treated for posts. Used a lot of carriage bolts.  Today with the p.p.b. I would have to borate everything.  If thats what you have, thats what you use.

Thank You Sponsors!