iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shot in the dark where did this hub come from

Started by Wayne_Stevens, August 12, 2022, 02:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne_Stevens

Anyone seen a hub like this? It a brake drum too. It's on a log arch I picked up from a friend. His father pieced it together from scrounged parts. Never seen a hub like this.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Patrick NC

Maybe early airstream camper or other trailer of the same vintage. Drop type axle maybe?
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

YellowHammer

It looks almost exactly like the wheel hubs off my old rusted hay wagon, and also like the hub on our corn planter wheels.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Oliver05262

Can you make out the numbers on the casting? Any sign of a trademark?
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

GAB

Personally I have never seen a hay wagon or corn planter with brakes.
Now I must admit I seen them all.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

YellowHammer

Oops, I didn't catch the part about the brake drum.  Yep, yer right, I ain't got brakes on my hay wagon.  But the front of the hub looks exactly the same, even with that little bearing cover.  I guess there's so much rust it all looks the same.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Horse drawn wagons have brakes on them, often it's a hand lever you pull to activate it. 

That is a slow speed bearing cap for sure, my planters and drills use the same design on the coulters. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Gere Flewelling

That looks a little like the rear axle set up on an old Chrysler mini-van from the 80's I used to have except that the axle has been cut.  Possibly from a smaller front wheel drive car.  Are the lug nuts metric?  Possibly from a foreign car.  That might explain the intense rust. ???
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Wayne_Stevens

I'm thinking it is European, says 182 mm. Has a 13" tire/wheel on it, 155SR13. Has to be over 40 years old. 4.5" lug spacing. Lugs are part of the drum. Would like to find new wheels and bearings somewhere.

Thank You Sponsors!