iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how to install a hydraulic valve in existing circuit?

Started by Ed D, June 08, 2022, 04:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed D

I would like to install a double acting hydraulic valve to actuate a hydraulic cylinder that will control the existing manual lever that actuates the moveable blade on a baker edger.
I am at a loss to determine how to plumb the hydraulic circuit along with the standard push-pull selector and the flow control valve to the conveyor.  ???
Thanks for any help from the hydraulic guru's! 
Ed

Southside

My brothers wife's sister is married to an electrical engineer at a hydraulic shop. He said tomorrow he will check with lead installer whos son is dating a girl that might know the answer to what it is you are asking us.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

You're trying to adjust a lever using a cylinder? If so I don't think that'll be precise enough. There is an EF, Excess Flow port on the flow control valve. 
Catalog Cover & Back 2013_PCG.indd (baileyhydraulics.com)

I'm wondering if an electric linear actuator would work.

fluidpowerpro

I can help you. Do you have a hydraulic schematic for the machine as it is now.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

customsawyer

Call Baker. They probably know what you are wanting to do and know how to do it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ed D

Thank you all for your efforts and replies!!  :)

FPP - I do not have a hydraulic schematic :'(
The two valves shown control the entire circuit. 
The pink line into the flow control valve (prince RD 100 series) is from the pump.
The orange line is to the two conveyor motors (1 "in" and 1 "out" conveyor motors)
The red line is return to tank which is connected to a "T" at the push-pull selector valve.

Right side of edger showing the two conveyor motors and the pump below the left motor.

I estimate that the lever I want to actuate will have to move about 6-1/2 inches. 
I suppose there should be a flow control on any valve that actuate that lever (so it is not fast or jerky)
Thank you for any ideas or suggestions!!
Ed

beenthere

per DonP
QuoteI'm wondering if an electric linear actuator would work.

Thinking the same.. if 12v power is available.  Move slow, can pick the stroke and the force needed.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Linear-Actuators/DC-Linear-Actuators/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ed D

Hi All,
Success with the modification to a Baker Edger by adding a hydraulic action to the secondary blade and also adding lasers to it.

Hydraulic valving - new controller valve on the right

Cylinder and Lasers activation

A BIG THANK YOU to @fluidpowerpro for his design and suggestions, without which we would still be fumbling around.

Thank you Tom!

Ed

fluidpowerpro

Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Thank You Sponsors!