iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weld teeth to a transmission chain?

Started by Satamax, August 18, 2022, 02:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody. 

I have some nice 12B3 or 16B3 chain and sprockets. That i would like to use to make a double chain log turner. 

Do you think i can weld teeth to that chain? 

Thanks a lot. 

Max. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

JoshNZ

I've seen it done, don't know how it would compromise the chain, i suspect there would be some distortion of the rollers which would cause it to fail earlier, but you're not loading it up hugely.

Id go as fast/hot as possible. Stick to the middle of the links. They're probably spot welded in factories when they're adding flights to chains.

Gere Flewelling

If I were to try welding teeth onto a hardened (or likely hardened) chain link, I would keep the teeth as narrow as possible to keep away from the chain link bushings.  I would use a small wire feed welder with either inner shield wire or mig type.  I would only weld on the top and bottom edge of the link and not on the sides of the link.  I would have a pan of water ready to immerse the welded link into to cool down ASAP.  I would then either immerse the link in some penetrating fluid to displace the water.  I prefer the inner shield wire as the welding tip is much smaller and easier to see around.  Also the weld will be smaller with less build up.  I think most chain links are not really designed to be welded on, but possibly one can make them work.  I am not a scientific or formally trained welder, but I have been learning the hard way all my life and have had some success.  Good Luck with your project.  GF
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Ventryjr

The chain log turner on my mill appears to be homemade (came w/ mill).  And looks like #80 (?) roller chain with 5/8 wide slices of angle iron welded onto the links. I  haven't measured the exact size of the angle pieces or chain.  Just off my head.  It's like 2x3x1/2" angle iron slivers with the 3" side laying onto other links for support while the "tooth" is biting into a log and turning.
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

jpassardi

I wouldn't get too concerned about distortion. Not like it needs to rotate with great precision or 1000's of continuous cycles.
I'd take a piece give a try and see if it rotates after.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys! 

I only have stick. But i've run a fair bit of thick welds in my life!  ;D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Ventryjr

Quote from: Satamax on August 18, 2022, 09:22:28 PM
Thanks a lot guys!

I only have stick. But i've run a fair bit of thick welds in my life!  ;D
I went to school for welding and there's. I thing you can't do with a stick welder.  Get some 3/32" 6011 and that should do the trick.  

ladylake

My mill came with a no 60 chain  which wasn't  strong enough.  I bought 10' of 60h chain and welded on some u shaped pieces of metal every 5th link to the top of the links which stands up real good.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Satamax

Quote from: Ventryjr on August 19, 2022, 05:57:25 AM
Quote from: Satamax on August 18, 2022, 09:22:28 PM
Thanks a lot guys!

I only have stick. But i've run a fair bit of thick welds in my life!  ;D
I went to school for welding and there's. I thing you can't do with a stick welder.  Get some 3/32" 6011 and that should do the trick.  
Thanks a lot Ventryjr. For that, i'd use 312-16, 312-17 (if i could find some) or selectarc 29/9.  Dissimilar metal rods. And far softer than 6011 I don't know if we even can find something similar to 6011 in France. I have some 7016 that i love. But too big.   I was checking the Safer G48N which is ubiquitous over here is a E 6013.  

Satamax

Quote from: ladylake on August 19, 2022, 07:30:15 AM

My mill came with a no 60 chain  which wasn't  strong enough.  I bought 10' of 60h chain and welded on some u shaped pieces of metal every 5th link to the top of the links which stands up real good.  Steve
Purfect! Thanks! 

longtime lurker

Weld mounts to the chain links and the cleats can then get bolted on... it's a lot stronger than just a stitch on the outsides of a raised lug that way.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Satamax

ladylake

Quote from: longtime lurker on August 19, 2022, 10:58:29 PM

Weld mounts to the chain links and the cleats can then get bolted on... it's a lot stronger than just a stitch on the outsides of a raised lug that way.
My mill came with links kinda like that, bent over fast.  A u shaped piece of metal welded to both sides of the link holds up way better and is a lot faster.   in actual use.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Vautour

No problems on mine yet,.. #80 chain
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

ladylake

Thats exactly what mine looks like, stands up a lot of abuse.  Steve

Satamax

Hey guys, here's what I have chain ans sprocket wise. I was thinking to cut the second one, to make the two I need.  

ladylake

I think a single No 80 chain would stand up and work better.  Steve

moodnacreek

2.609 pitch sprockets [or 1 sprocket and an idler] with steel '78 0r 188 chain is what is really needed. The chain can be found with the teeth already on or because this heavy chain is soft steel you can weld on it with confidence. I know this sounds ex.pensive but you need so little for a log turner.

Satamax

Ventryjr

Keep us updated on the build Satamax!  Take pics!  

Satamax

Quote from: Ventryjr on August 22, 2022, 05:20:26 AM
Keep us updated on the build Satamax!  Take pics!  
Ouch! 
You know, on another forum, my handle, title or whatever you call it, is procrastinator in chief! :D 

Thank You Sponsors!