Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Norm, You should keep it and get yourself a Rapunzel!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

scsmith42

Norm, before you spend money buying cables, chains, or hiring others, I have a better idea...

Spend the money instead on a Barrett 50 cal, and a few hundred rounds of ammo.  Shoot the blocks out and let it collapse onto it self.  

At the end of the day, the silo is down, and you have a new toy, oops I mean tool that you can keep!

Besides, I'm not sure if a shotgun slug would do it, but a 50 sure would...

<grin>
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jeff

Yea, but Patty's up there now! :o

scsmith42

Well, she's gotta come down sometime, doesn't she??!  Shoot it then!

Paul_H

Fill it with water and use it as a pool for the Summer then let it freeze during the Iowa winter,and then after the Spring thaw......

...ram it with EZ's $50 car :D

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bro. Noble

Think of how much fun it would be to make an elevator with a hand powered winch 8)  With a good rest,  you could pick off coyotes in the next county with your .50. ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

Hey Norm, if ya fill it with water ya think ya can get Patty to let ya get some of these?

Norm

Holy cow I'm keeping it if she does!

Like this one Scott.  ;D

If you think your shoulder would be sore with 00 buckshot it'll fall off taking it down with 50 caliber, well that and the shells are kind of pricey.

I've given up on doing it today, the wind is gusting around 35-40 and too dangerous for my taste. It has steel bands on the outside, I tried hooking a chain to one hoping it would cut through it but just popped it instead. I'm scared of heights so the observation tower idea is out but if you guys would like to have it for yourselves I'll gladly give it to you for the cost of freight....and incidentals. ;)

sawguy21

The racket from that toy...er...tool might gather some unwelcome attention from the law :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Patty

Dream on Jeff..... ::)

I asked Norm why it was me up in that tower and not him. He said it was because I was so beautiful. Now how can you argue with that sound logic!  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

ElectricAl

Norm,

It will be a while before Rapunzel has enough hair to let down.

Better yet, whip up some home made spaghetti, then tell Rapunzel dinner will be

served when the silo is on the ground.

My thought is she's ready to go ;)

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

UNCLEBUCK

The clay tile silo I took down still had the steel cap on top but the tiles were rotten and flaking off but it took 2 boxes of 00 buckshot 12 gauge and I shot from the hip . Went up a few layers ,left all the bands on and just started shooting it apart ,working my way towards the half way mark and it fell just like a  tree and not straight down , dug a hole next to it and pushed it in ,put the gravel in and then the black dirt and had a nice hill when I was done .  I dont think your tiles look as rotten as the one I had because I didnt dare drive anywhere near the silo I had .

You can atleast take a few shots and see how rotten the tiles are but once you shoot out that one special tile out it will come a crashing over .

Maybe a 10 gauge might be the ticket . You will be suprised after a few shots .  You guys be careful down there .

Could always use a few scoops of tile for structure in the bluegill hole  ;D

UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

UNCLEBUCK

List it on ebay that you will spray paint anything on the silo to the highest bidder just before filming it being rammed by EZ's 50$ car !  Might make the tonight show with that one  8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

scsmith42

Norm, you're my hero.  Nice Barrett!!!   <grin>

Tell you what - you ought to throw a BBQ "Silo busting" party, and the price of admission for everybody is to bring 20 shells - 15 for them to shoot in your 50 and 5 for you and Patty.

Betcha that silo would be on the ground in no time and you'd have ammo left over...

Norm

I'm too chicken and don't have any insurance on the backhoe so I'm going to go with UB's and Scott's advice and have some friends over next weekend to blast it apart. By then I'll the barn mess cleaned up and burned so I can just push it into the hole and bury it. Hopefully I can get some pictures of it going down.

Thanks for everyones advice. :)

Mr Mom

I would watch out for ricochets when you shoot at the blocks. That would end the day on a bad note.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom.

gary

They use backhoes like that to tear houses  down around here. I would just start at the top or as high as I could reach with that backhoe and tear it down. Knock the tiles into the center so they are not coming down toward the backhoe. I would be more worried about a ricochet killing someone than a little damage to that backhoe.

Patty

With the 50 calibur there should be zero richochets. Those shells should scream right through both sides I am thinking.

The back hoe is way too precious to sacrifice for a stupid old silo. My vote is for the big gun party!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Paschale

Quote from: Norm on May 28, 2006, 05:25:22 PM

If you think your shoulder would be sore with 00 buckshot it'll fall off taking it down with 50 caliber, well that and the shells are kind of pricey.

It's cracking me up that the gun's in the KITCHEN!!!!!   :D :D :D

Scrambled eggs anyone?  Oh...don't mind the gun.  Just move dat outta the way and sit yourself down at the bar.   :D :D :D

A guy I know who was a sniper in Vietnam let me shoot one of those .50's before...practically knocked my shoulder into the next county, but sure was fun.   ;D

Norm, be careful! 
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

treecyclers

Hmmmmmm....My good friend Mr. Barrett....heckuva fine firearm!
I do believe that it would be more than sufficient for removing numerous tiles with each individual round, and with the kinetic energy that those rounds have, please please please be SURE of your line of fire, and that there isn't ANYTHING within half a mile that could possibly be harmed should a round go errant.
I would also suggest a small berm to shoot from, so that you shoot down into the base of the silo, further protecting the path of the round, so that it's as safe as possible without negatively impacting the operation.
Hmmmm....Operation Silo Smash.....has a nice ring to it I think!
Alternatively, you might contact the local National Guard unit to see if they'd like to use it as a demolition project exercise for their troopers, law enforecement might be interested as well.
They get training, and you get it dropped for free!
How neat would that be?
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Norm

The backhoes' reach is 22' the silo is at least 40'. Stetched out I'd be right next to it, odds of wearing a 40# block from 40' up is darn good.

We live out in the bonnies and there is nothing down range. It'll go right through the silo and hit in our bottom crick area. 00 buckshot and slugs don't richochet, they don't have enough umph behind them to do it after hitting soft clay tiles.

Jeez guys where's your sense of adventure.... this is lots safer than my first idea of nitrogen and diesel fuel. ;D

Jeff

DanG, this is almost worth a drive to Iowa to save the fair Patty from the Tower before the seige of Bangor begins!

beenthere

Lost the last post I made. DanG
I like the shooting plan. Gonna convince dem neighbors their wild suspicions were right all along  ;D

I'd suggest a backstop in the silo to keep from blasting out tile on two sides, just to keep the notch for a directional fall intact. Thinking that blasting tile on two sides might not cause directional fall, and the silo just settling down a few inches or feet at a time (which would give more shooting time  :) ).  A few barn timbers or boards piled in to stop the bullets from exiting would seem to give more control. 

Get the princess out first, however.

Sounds like a party, for sure.  Any excuse for a party, is my motto too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

RichlandSawyer

Must be an Iowa thing.

"Prairie Poodle Pounder"

Its not gonna make as big of dent as the 50, but i would love to take pictures for you.
I do have a 50cal. but its a muzzle loader, we would be there all day.
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

Thank You Sponsors!