iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bringing Down The Silo

Started by Norm, May 28, 2006, 08:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I just read through the whole thread today for the first time.
Amazing.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Texas Ranger

I posted the post on the silo with the sledge hammer, did not pay attention to the language, but some one did and deleted it, rightfully so.

But, Google "taking a silo down with a sledge hammer" and you will find it.  Bad language and all. :snowball:
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Norm

Quote from: Patty on June 01, 2006, 08:01:28 AM
This farm was a rental farm for over 50 years before we purchased it. It was run down and neglected, with virtually zero up keep all those years. The old buildings were poorly constucted to begin with and were rat infested shacks when we moved here. The old house was full of coons and awful varmits. In the 5 years we have owned this farm, it has flourished. Down came the old shacks, away went the rats, and we replaced them with items of beauty, such as my house. We tore down fences, cleaned up huge piles of garbage. I believe every tenant on this farm used the place as their personal dump. This farm is a living place and it has done well under our watch. It was dying when we bought it, and now it is alive and well, and Norm & I reap the benefits daily with the beauty she gives back. When the last old barn came down, we discovered a scene we had never had the opportunity to see....we now can enjoy the crick line and all the pretty trees, that were formerly blocked from us. When the silo comes down, it will open up another view that has been denied to us. Silos and barns are not God's work. Trees and creeks, and hill are. I choose to see the trees rather than broken down old buildings that have outlived their usefulness.

I read the whole thread again myself. Patty always had a special way to say things...I miss her so much.

Roxie

I miss her very much too.  She was one in a million, and I feel very lucky that, however brief, she was in my life. 
Say when

thecfarm

I had to quote this line,
Norm & I reap the benefits daily with the beauty she gives back.

"she" should be replaced with Patty.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

That was quite a saga. The demolition method would raise some eyebrows here. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Seaman

What an awesome thread. Thanks for bringing it back for we newbees.
Norm, I feel for you brother, hang in there.
Patty obviously was and IS an Angel.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

drobertson

Feeling it here too, Norm thanks so much for sharing that day with us.  I too just read the entire thread for the first time, got to say you folks have a fine history, lots of laughs shared for sure.  Take care Norm, thanks again.  david p.s. thanks jeff for getting the video up for us as well,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

cfg500

RichlandSawyer,

I know it's been a while, but I would like to know how usable your silo tile blocks were.  What percentage was whole, usable blocks that could be used for other building projects?
I have a tile silo that I'd like to salvage, but don't think a cut off saw will work.  Collapsing it may be my only option.
What do you think?

Mooseherder

I hope you record it for us. :)

ND rancher

I was sent a forward of a guy taking down a silo with a sledge hammer.Some one told him to do it like a tree and that's what he did. He was lucky, the hammer was in the rubble. Can't post it cause of all the swearing.
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

red

This is definitely an all time favorite posting/adventure to bad the video is gone 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!