iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

About.com

Started by Texas Ranger, July 21, 2001, 10:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

The Forest Forum at About.com is having a world of hurt right now.  Steve Nix is discouraged with the forum, and the forum is degrading on a daily basis.  You may have a surge of national and international visitors on the way.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

RavioliKid

Gee, Don,

I'm sorry to hear that things aren't going well over at Steve's place, but it is nice to hear from you!
How are you doing? Take it easy!

Kim
RavioliKid

Gordon

Wonder why it's in a world of hurt? Glad you could stop by and say hello. Don let me ask you this, why would you only come to this forum as a second choice? If you don't mind me being so bold as to ask.

If the posters aren't posting on the about com site then where are they posting?

Just a couple of questions
That had me wondering
Gordon

RavioliKid

Gordon,

You took the questions right out of my mouth!

RavioliKid

Texas Ranger

I don't post here for a number of reasons, foremost is the area/region. Texas has little to do with Michigan, although the folks are just as good/fun as those over at about.com. There are a number of us cross overs here, but yall have different plants and critters, problems and solutions.  As a forester I have a general interest in all things trees/timber. But limited experience in yalls neck of the woods.  I particularly enjoy the plant ID end of it, one of my little areas of pleasure in working in the woods in plant ID.  A challenge from the frozen north.

Another reason is I periodically have a real problem signing in.  Worse than About.com.  Although I may have it solved, for now.  

I visit here often, but feel my input in a Michigan problem is not to the best interest of the asker.  If it is a general area, I'll jump in.

And lastly.  I have limited time on the computer.  Got to make a living and all that and I LOVE the computer and the access to incredible amounts of information.  I research a lot here, and frankly, got to limit my time.  This forum is one that takes the brunt of non attendance.  But I'm improving.  Or I wouldn't have written here, now.

HI, RAV, hows things?  Every thing fine in Texas, work is slow, darn near dead till the big boys straighten out their ownership, but we will survive.

Hey, Every Thing is FINE in Texas. (Regional self promotion intended!)

Bruce

If you have more people post there comments on your site, requesting help or a greater understanding, who with great insight will respond?  V/R BWH
Bruce

Tom

Maybe you could be a little  more specific, Bruce.

Bruce

I don't sell trees but ESA effects everyone.  I requested input relating to roadless area comments, yet one of your members expressed he could not respond to my letter to USDA Forest Service unless I join your group.  How can I join if I don't sell trees?  You can't respond because you are the host.  If more people seek suggestions in order to write letters to USDA Forest Service from Proffesionals in Forestry and those proffesionals are unable to respond, how will that help inform the public or the one seeking a better understanding on issues relating to forestry.  At the minimum, your members might write there own roadless area letter, post it, allowing others the opportunity to endorse your members point of view.  I'm sure such a letter could be better then anything I could write, although I made an attempt from every report I've read.  V/R BWH
Bruce

Tom

I'm not sure I understand why you may have been told that you have to sell trees to become a member of this group.  Perhaps you misunderstood.  There is one member of this group who is a grade school teacher, one who assembles log homes, a young man who is still looking for himself and you may have seen some of his handy work on this site.  Some are sawyers, some are corporate foresters and some are Government employees.  One who posts here regularly is a Data Processing professional.  They don't sell trees. Some help others sell them. Some depend on trees for a living and some don't have a thing in the world to do with trees except that they like them.

Because you have ask for endorsement or aid or tried to get assembly doesn't mean that anyone here has to get on your band wagon.  That also doesn't mean that they agree or disagree.  There are many more avenues for someone who is pro your ideas to follow than yours.  Perhaps you may plant a seed or perhaps you will be ignored but the way to obtain compliance from me is not to beat me between the ears and try to work me with a tight rein.

I have my own agenda, way of life, goals and approach to communicating with Government.  I will probably read or listen to your rhetoric for my own benefit but don't expect me to respond or become involved.  

Your pages, while well written, sound like a "Castroesque" speaker meaning to incite riot.
I know you must believe deeply in what you write,  but If I came upon a speaker on the street corner who preached with the same "force", I would cross the street or go around the block. What you, as that speaker, should acknowledge is that I may be on my way to the Senate when I walk past you.

Perhaps you could gain a larger, honest following if you didn't come on so strong and weren't so quick to condemn.

You have a web site.  Why must you publish all of your rhetoric elsewhere? Wouldn't an invitation to your site be enough, and wouldn't that be the friendly way to do it too?

Now I extend an offer for you to be a member of our group whether you sell wood or not.  I don't expect anyone to come on this site and commandeer and condemn.

Those are my personal as well as my administrative views.

Jeff

Bruce,
First of all, I am begining to feel bad that I offered you a place to post your stuff. Reason? You are so focused on your sermon, you didnt take time to meet the congregation. You first came in making posts willi nilli with out regard to our format. Now, you take offense, and you dont know anything about us. Bill, who said he could not comment, Is Canadian. Thats why he said that. Why should he comment on U.S. matters? Did you know that? NO!

I am the moderator of this board. I created it, I babysit it, I take care of it. You should be glad it is my decision to remain out of this, and let you or anyone else side their views(within reason). Others have not answered because of the way you entered our forum. You don't just go to somebodys house for the first time unannounced, and walk into the kitchen and make a sandwich.

If you would have taken the time to come here, read some posts, learn a little about the people that you were asking to help you, yes help, you asked for comments or feedback, and that is help, instead of barging in and making pasted posts you would have gotten an entirely different response.

Don't judge the members of this forum until you know what your talking about. If you really want some feedback, your going to have to back up and start over, or turn around and leave.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

No need to buy or sell trees in order to participate in this forum.  It is open to all.

If you want comments, put up a specific post.  Best to keep it pretty well in scope so that we can home in on what you want comments on.

ESA effects even government plans.  We had a local government who wanted to put back a dam that had been taken down years ago.  They wanted a lake and a park.  Problem is, it was the home of bog turtles.  No park.

ESA wasn't around when DDT was banned.  I'm sure they would have some impact.  Pennsylvania now has more bald eagles than they have had in the past 100 years.  Is that good or bad?

There was no ESA in the 1800s.  There was total elimination of native white tail deer, elk, bison, wolf, and mountain lions in Pennsylvania.  Most was due to habitat elimination, and the balance due to over hunting.  

Other species that were severly impacted included beaver, fisher, bobcat and black bear.  Many of these species have come back, but not to their earlier prominence.  

ESA can be good or can be bad, depending on interpretation.  I think the concept is good, but the implementation may leave a little to be desired in certain areas.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bruce

Dear Tom, Jeff and Ron:

When I was in the Navy I visited many countries in the Pacific Ocean.  Before I went ashore, I learned about the customs of the people of each country I visited, explored the environment and approached every recreational activity with caution.  One morning I went water skiing in Subic Bay, Philippines.  I remained on my skies for over an hour and when I was brought to shore, the owner of the boat, an elderly man, invited me to a family dinner.  When he was talking to me I noticed this man was blind.  Accompanied in the boat with this man was his 8-year-old son serving as his eyes.  Had I known this man was blind I would have chosen another boat for my afternoon ski.  This man opened my eyes and I went skiing behind his boat many times.  

Gentleman, I did not intend to introduce a sermon to your forum nor encourage you to endorse my sermon.  Although I have studied many reports on the environment, energy, trucking and natural resources, like the blind man who drove his boat with the help of his son, I too need help understanding why USDA Forest Service refuses to thin the forest or allow private forest within the national forest thinned or roads constructed allowing access to private lands within the forest in order that timber may be harvested, thereby decreasing wildfires.  

I reviewed many post by your members but I could not find member introductions, yet some members have web sites and those I viewed are informative.  I know for every action there is a reaction and when we may mistakes were often too proud to admit them.  If I've offended you Tom for my lack of insight, please forgive me as I only desire further knowledge.  I have more time then most to read or explore the web.  In 1985, I fell from a roof and broke my neck.  Being a QUAD has not stopped me from learning or being involved with construction, trucking and energy efficient devices and products.  Last year my speedboat hit a bridge in Redding, California as we were driving down the highway when the hitch came loose.  I enjoyed driving by speedboat at speeds of 60 mph and being in the middle of the lake was an inspiration.  I must rely on others and when they make mistakes, it can be costly.  A driver for example, drove one of my semi trucks hard and the outcome resulted in a blown engine.  I too make mistakes.  I sent an email to you Tom, "How do you become a member?"  I received no response, so I explored your web site and from the membership information I reviewed, assumed your membership was open to those involved in the Forest Industry.  I know it is not the responsibility of others to educate me, so I have investigated, researched and studied many things and have written many books on aforementioned subjects.  My letter to USDA Forest Service may be deleted the minute it is emailed.  Who will ever know since there is no accountability?  I hope one day were allowed to publicly post our comments, solutions and recommendations when public comment is requested by Federal Agencies.  
Bruce

Jeff

Hello Bruce, Glad to meet you! Welcome to our forum. If you have any questions on how any of the forum functions work, give a holler, and somebody will help. We welcome your opinions in conversation form. This board is meant as a way to carry on a conversation if you will, it just may take time to complete one :)

I think that most visitors to this site beleive the national forests need to be maintained and managed at a level that best utilizes the resource. Leaving it to go wild in my book, is wasteful.

Gordon

Hello Bruce, I agree that the forests need to be managed for not only best output but safety as well.

My wife works for a quad as an aid, as a matter of fact she is working right now. The bad thing of this is I've got to feed the eight puppies. Oh well life goes on.

Gordon

Tom

Had me going Gordon :D

Who does your forestry forum typing Bruce.  Are you able to.....is it time consuming?

Gordon

I just reread my previous post and I'm going back to edit it. That just didn't come out right. Jeezzzz I give up. ;D

Gordon

Bruce

Hi Gordon:

Your no stranger to the demands a disabled person puts on another.  I like puppies, yet I've never been able to train a dog to obey my commands since i've been in my chair.  They grow up, listen to no one and I end up giving the dogs away.  Cats are so independent; often they forget they were buddies when they were small.  My cat liked playing on my 14 feet long desk and sleeping on my lap until it became friends with a mail cat, know it lives outside.  I almost gave up on cats when years ago two kitty cats were sleeping under my chair, and I woke up myself from a nap, and ran over my buddies.  I was sick at my stomach and cried for a week and refused to allow cats in my house for nearly a year.  I thought about buying a monkey or accepting a trained monkey.  One of my friends a few years ago was involved in a state sponsored program where they would train a monkey for three years.  The state would then give the monkey away to a QUAD.  When I first broke my neck, my roommate in the hospital hit the Broadway Bridge driving at the speed of 100mph celebrating his birthday.  He was pretty bad off.  He was moved into a nice QUAD Home next to the Emanuel Hospital, Portland, Oregon.  Last time I visited with him in 1994, he had a monkey that would retrieve his viedos or other items as along as they had different color ribbons or felt attached.  He had a cage in his room and the monkey would open the door to the cage any time he wanted to go in his little home.  They were real buddies.  Well, as long as I keep my wife happy and my employees paid, I won't need a monkey; but I can tell you, in the 16 years I've been disabled, I've had over 500 hundred employees and a monkey would have been better then some whom chose to allow drugs to destroy their lives.  If I can ever help your wife's client in anyway, don't hesitate to give him my website.  My diet, chiefly fruit and vegetables are the key to health and a positive attitude.  Although I am not happy being a QUAD, I am pleased to be alive and who knows, maybe somewhere along the way, I have touched someone in a positive way. V/R BWH
Bruce

Bruce

Hi Tom:

When I was in the Navy, I learned to type and speed-read.  While aboard the USS CORAL SEA (CV-43), an aircraft carrier, I was a Yeoman.  I now read faster then when I was 18 years old and I can type with either both hands or one using a pointer I hold with my fingers and thumb.  My fingers don't work and typing with one pointer is slow but believe it or not, with one hand I can type around thirty words a minute, using my other hand to push the shift key rather then use a pointer.  Of course paste and click off the Internet is pretty fast.  I'm working on my environment and natural resources chapter on my web site and today several chapters were posted but around 50 links didn't work, so I had to test everyone, paste and click and then email the list to my sister.  I think it's at her end because the links work in publisher.  This 280-page report was first compiled in word and over 400 web sites were reviewed and for the most part read by me.  Many web sites have hundreds of pages and those with thousands, well, can't read everything but I have studied enough to be able introduce to anyone information on nearly any environmental, natural resource or energy related topic.  I don't know the answer to everything but I can tell you we have the technology to become energy efficient and we're not moving very fast toward accomplishing a sustainable future.  V/R BWH
Bruce

Tom

Well, by golly, I'm glad you have that typeing thing down pretty good. What would a fellow today do if he can't type...at least hunt and peck. I was lucky enough to have accidentally ended up in a typing class in high school.  They can teach you the keyboard, "qwerty" She called it, but not accuracy.  It's a good thing the guys on this board can read in-between-the-lines because my accuracy isn't too good. That's what happens when I get in a hurry.  

I spend an inordinate amount of time on the computer and on this site but it all happens on the run, in between trips to town, walks in the woods, maintenance on the equipment, etc.  When I am sawing a heavy schedule I'm usually gone since I saw "on-site".  Then I have withdrawals till I can get back and see what everybody has done that day.

Have you read "Behind the Forum"? Jeff leaves some notes there about what he is doing and where it is headed.

I like one he encourages us to try and that is not making big solid paragraphs.  It is easier to read broken up and we aren't testing composition. :D

I'm not much on pets. Have a cat..a big solid black fixed tom. He thinks we belong to him and is pretty demanding. Every once in a while he brings a snake, mouse or lizard to the back door.  I guess that's his way of paying rent. Pretty cheap rent.  We live in the woods and my lumber stacks harbor all kinds of vermin.

I have a customer who has two Ferrets for pets.  He swears by them.  They are real cuddly but when they decide to investigate something, are gone in a flash.

U.S.N. here too. Sonar Technician. Tin Can Sailor.

Gordon

Bruce there is one thing that I've learned over the past few years about taking things for granted.---DON'T--- There are many things that I take for granted everyday that is a major undertaking for a quad. But with the help of Easter Seals he gets an aid thirty hours a week to help out and take him places.

My wife is much smarter than the wheelchair repairman that they send out to his house. She now is also pretty good at working on an electrical circuits as well.

He goes hunting, fishing, crabbing. He can hunt for deer with a crossbow. Had to make a pipe stand on the chair to steady the bow. Also had to make a special trigger pull for the crossbow. He has gotten a couple of deer with that setup. Bad thing is he gets only one shot, he can't reload the bow. To go beach fishing I took webbing and stapled it to furr strips. Made up three of these, that way he is on one and the other to can be moved forward to allow him to drive over them with his chair. Then once on the beach he has a little room to move around with three of them put next to each other.

He doesn't have a computer but I will tell him about the offer. Has very limited funds per month.

About the puppies their mother had to have an emergency C-section and passed away on the table. Very sad. She had ten of her puppies just fine but was acting like she was still in labor. So the Mrs. rushed her to the vet. They did an x-ray and she still had four more puppies inside of her. Gave her drugs to try to get the puppies to pass. No good. So did the C-section and Heiligh passed away on the table. The vet was very broken up about it and my wife I can't put that into words.

She had ten puppies and two of them passed away in the first couple of weeks. My wife had to bottle feed them, make them do their business---everything, she is the mother. Now they are eating wet puppy chow. I'm glad of that the formula bill was getting terrible. Right now I'm looking at five chocolates and three black labs. All doing well thanks to my wife.

So that's been the fun around this house the past month.
Gordon

marc

I am having problems finding the forestry forum at about.com, can someone tell me where to find it.
Thanks for any help :)

Jeff

Marc, if you were over there wanting to come here they would ignore you.

The address to the forestry part of the site that includes links to their forum is:
www.forestry.about.com

Have fun!

Gordon

Marc Jeff is right on that one!

Gordon

Texas Ranger

Sorry, Jeff is wrong on that one.  There are a number of cross overs here, and I found this site on About.com forestry.

But I would advise Bruce to take Tom and Jeffs hints on how to watch the forum before jumping in.  We can be a particularly responsive bunch, but not always to the liking of the poster.

Both are good sites, this one is getting bigger and better, and about com has problems.  

Time will tell where we all end up talking.  My idea is an ether net bar, bar keep keeping order, Rav can be the bar maid, Tom the bouncer.  Supply your own booze, and jump up on the bar every now and then and spout off.

Jeff

Don, sorry about that They reference. I know you and others would tell the way back here. It's the management that seems to be a little insecure over there these days.

Thank You Sponsors!