iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

About.com

Started by Texas Ranger, July 21, 2001, 10:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Gordon

Your disabled friend sounds like a resourceful guy.  Years ago I designed a pivoting gun mount for my wheel chair.  It moves up and down and side to side.  It was designed to mount on the front of my wheel chair like the sliding hitch on a pickup - the vertical steel holder is adjustable.  The nice thing about this device is it moves with the chair once the 2 inch square tube hitch is installed on the front of the chair.  Sounds like your resourceful as well.  I used this device once and couldn't handle the noise of the gun.  Made me jump.  I've never tried a bow.  Your friend has my vote.
Bruce

RavioliKid

Don,

So you want me to be the bar maid, eh? :D

That sounds easy enough, if it's BYOB!  ;D
RavioliKid

RavioliKid

Bruce,

My father is interested in learning how to use the computer, but his hands have a wicked tremor. He's afraid that he would be unable to use the keyboard.

Do you know of any special devices or resources for people who need help using a computer?  He has thought of trying to use a pointer, to  minimize the tremor. I will just have to get him in here and make him try it!

RavioliKid

Don P

He's gotta try it! One of the best machinists I've known had a bad tremor but could "lock it in" to make fine machine adjustments, then as his hand left the machine it was shaking all over the place again. You just don't know what the body is capable of till pushed. Bruce types way faster than me...I clock in at minus 5 wpm when errors are deducted :D

Jeff

Rav, there is always voice control software. Its gotten cheaper and better. I think probably good program for around $149
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bruce

RavioliKid

Greetings:

Your father could easily operate the key boad with a pointer if the pointer was designed like mine.  Each end is rounded and the pointer is 6 to 7 inches long.

XXXXXXX
XXX  (C)        XXX
XXX              XXX
XXX              XXX
XXX              XXX
XXX              XXX
XXX              XXX
XXX              XXX
XXX              XXX
XXX              XXX
XXX              XXX
XXX              XXX
XXX              XXX
XXX              XXX
XXX              XXX
XXX              XXX
XXX  (B)       XXX
XXX XXXXXXX
XX
XX
XX
XX
XX
XX
XX
XX
XX
XX
XX
XX
XXX
XXX
XXX (A)
XXX

It weighs around 6 ounces and is made out of
Titanium.  The pointer is actually round at the base where it touches the keys (A) and the diameter is the size of the keys yet the shape of the pointer as it extends to the area that is round (B)ends up to be more narrow.  Area C is where the thumb and fingers hold on to the pointer, the thumb pointing up threw the pointer.

I bought a device for $50.00 that alows you to talk into the computer without using the key board.  It really works but I havn't had the time to study all the different commands that are necessary inorder that the computer will receive the proper input for symbols, i.e., !, @, #, $, %, ^, &, *, (, ), _, +, =, etc.  I will fax you the actual drawing of my pointer in your interested.  I have two of them.  I could loan you one in order for you to have one built.  Linn Benton Community College made mine for me at no charge
Bruce

RavioliKid

Thanks for all the suggestions!

My father has made a "lady friend" that is urging him to get online. I think that is probably all the motivation he is going to need! ;)

It kind of amazes me that he's put himself "on the market" so quickly. I'm happy for him - I guess...

RavioliKid

Texas Ranger

Rav, it is all part of the healing process.  He had wonderful years with your mother, and misses the contact, the companionship, the support he had then.

Be happy for him.  

My mother went the other way, no male friends, no contact with the men of her age.  Resists the most minor of efforts to communicate with her.  She is in a shadow of life, with no joy what so ever.

Be happy for him.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

RavioliKid

Oh, I am happy for him, Don.

It's just kind of odd - Not bad, just odd.

I'm sure I'll get used to it shortly. I haven't seen him so happy and relaxed in years. He can do what he wants, when he wants. He doesn't have to sleep with one ear open.

I know he loved taking care of my mother, but it was hard.

He deserves all the happiness he can get his hands on!

RavioliKid

Thank You Sponsors!