iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tommy's House

Started by Tom, August 01, 2001, 06:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Mr. Tommy is a customer and friend who lives in St. George, Ga.  I am sawing for him now and ate lunch yesterday in this little cabin he built in his backyard for entertaining friends.  He likes to feed people.  He has a really outgoing, bubbly personality and loves to visit. A hard worker at 70+ he does all the mill tailing himself. He thinks that "help" just gets in his way. :)

This entire cabin was built from one SYP tree.  It is the one on my picture site labeled Charlton County's biggest tree.

The interior is also paneled with 16"-20" boards and the tables are made out of one board each.  The big table in the background is made of 2 22" boards. (All from the same tree)  This is one of his friends in crime, Mr. Bill on the left then Tommy and a youngster that is Mr. Bill's adopted grandson who tried to help a little.

Everything was made from that one tree but a few 1x4's on the porch and a few of the chairs.  There was lumber left.  Some is still stored and some has been sold or given away.  It was a huge tree.

Labeled by the owner, Mr. Raulerson, as "Charlton County's biggest pine", this loblolly was unofficially admired and recognized as the county's champion loblolly until it died unexplainably.   

Being next to the road, Mr. Tommy had to drop it in the swamp and then skid out what he could reach with his farm tractor and chains.  Much of the top was left only because they couldn't reach it.

RavioliKid

All from ONE tree? WOW! :o

That is one neat house!

RavioliKid

Don P

I was getting pictures ready to show you guys of one of our members efforts when your post came up Tom. So I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread and making it neat cabin day. Sawtooth has been doing a log cabin/poolhouse/trophyroom this summer and we've corresponded back and forth on a couple of details. He's sent me pics as it's progressed and I stuck 'em up on the log tutorial site.He's planning a green metal roof. Looking good Hugh!

http://www.geocities.com/windyhilllogworks/hugh.htm

RavioliKid

That's really cool, too!

You guys make me want to build something!

RavioliKid

Thank You Sponsors!