iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile Dimension

Started by MWnBC, October 25, 2009, 09:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWnBC

This my first post.Have an older Mobile Dimension and have used it a bit,cut about 50,000 bdf.,5 yrs ago. What is everyones opinions on these units?
For those not familiar,it is a 2000cc VW,30" main with adjustable edgers.Teeth are 3/8 ",in holders,like a big head saw.
  Since I own it,this is good to go,or sell it and get a WoodMizer or other band mill.

Mark

Tom

Dang, and some others here, have Mobile dimensions and like them.  I've seen DanG use his and it does a good job.  His opinion is that it is accurate, fast enough and operator friendly.   That's good enough to me to go with what's paid for.  :D

The other style mills have positive points too, but you have to want them.  Yours will cut everything it takes to build something and you don't have to turn the log either.

I'm a bandmill guy, but I can sure appreciate the Mobile dimension, Double cut, standard circle mills and swing mills.  I think I'd just crank it up and make sawdust.  Use it to make the money to buy another mill.  :D :D

Welcome to the ForestryForum.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum!

You didn't mention what you wanted to mill. The MD and the bandmill each have their own advantages. The MD will saw a much larger log without turning, and the WM will saw out a wider board, and give a higher yield, due to less kerf, on higher value logs. I like the idea of paid for equipment. If the MD will do what you need, I'd stick with that, unless the financial aspect is lower on your priority list, then get what makes you happy. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DanG

Hi MW, and welcome to our little forum.  I'm glad to see another MD owner joining our growing ranks of MD operators! 8) 8)

I'd be willing to bet that you have a model 128 saw with the 1835cc engine, which was the biggest one they made.  Your main blade should carry 5/16 teeth and your edgers will use 1/4 teeth.

In answer to your question, yes the MD is the best mill you could have if the product you want to produce is what the mill was designed for...dimension lumber.  There isn't a band mill available at that price that will even think about keeping up with it for pumping out 2x4s and 2x6s.  That being said, I wish I had a bandmill sitting beside it to cut the other stuff.  Like Tom said, use it to make the money you need to buy a bandmill, then keep both of them. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

solodan

Keep it, it's paid for! Even if you bought a band mill I think you should keep the MD. I run a swing mill, and will probably add a band mill one day, but I could not cut half of the board footage sitting in my yard right now with just a bandmill.  lots of the logs I get are under 30" and a band mill would work, but 4' + logs are not uncommon for me, that's why I need a mill to cut bigger logs. Swing mills have advantages over almost every other mill in the sense that with some work you can actually cut almost any size, but your MD is probably better at cutting dimension lumber up to 12" wide. and a band mill is better at cutting very wide boards and large cants. I agree with Tom fire up your mill and use it to make some $ and add a bandmill.

Also what is the configuration of your mill? MDs seem to have been sold with a variety of setups, some with or without end frames, some on trailers,some with log decks ect.

ErikC

I have helped a couple of my friends run their MD mills. I can't see why you'd get rid of it if you have it paid for. They are the best thing out there for one guy to make a big pile of dimensional stock in short order. They may have a weakness in consistently small logs.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

karl

All well  said.
I'd like one of each.....but....
I'm kinda a believer in  paid for in the current economy.
We run an older model MD and added a resaw  instead of selling/buying a bandmill. Figure we have some advantages of both worlds now. Have a friend with a WM if we need wider stock for any reason.
Just MHO.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Thank You Sponsors!