iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If Southerners lived up North ...

Started by LOGDOG, February 11, 2010, 07:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LOGDOG

I'm just shaking my head down here in Louisiana tonight. It's snowed all day here. We got a couple inches of accumulation. Other areas got up to 5 and 1/2 inches. The most accumulation is supposed to come overnight. Not sure what that will end up being. But here by me they just announced they're closing the bridges and they're considering closing I-49 North and South and I-20 East and West. The weather people are saying "don't leave your house if you don't have to".  ::) It's a couple inches of snow people! Can you imagine if they lived up in WI, MN, or maybe the U.P. of MI? They'd starve to death in their homes.

The snow sure is a pretty sight. Haven't seen this much in since I moved down here from WI. Love how the snow on the ground illuminates the woods and you can see all the wildlife running around in there whereas normally they're camoflauged by all the brown and gray tones. I'd love to see us get dumped on tonight. We'll see....... :)

Tom

If Southerners lived up North... there would be a lot of well-fed Northerners.

We don't admire snow like some.  It's an experience once every ten or twenty years, to be able to throw a snowball, but I prefer the knee deep muck in the swamp and black water full of bream, bass, gators and snakes to a blanket of snow and wildlife running around looking for a place to get out of it.  :D

That storm is unnatural, to say the least.  The weather guessers said that it was moving east and would follow the coast almost to Jacksonville, Florida.  I sure hope it runs out of steam before it gets here. :)

rick f

They would be just fine here in downeast Maine right now. No snow on the ground right now with no snow in sight. I sure wish that there was some on the ground here.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

ibseeker

Hi Rick,
We visited your neighborhood a couple of years ago, downeast Acadia. That is some really pretty country. Blueberry fields and pines right down to the ocean. The trees were glowing with color, that was first for us and we'd stop off the side of the road and just look at some of those trees. My wife and I really enjoyed it, met the nicest folks and had a bowl of clam chowder every day! I'm still trying to figure out why it's called downeast acadia?
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

LOGDOG

Tom,

You're right about the northerners being well fed if southerners lived up there. My wife and I have considered moving in the past and it's still on the table. One of the things under the "pro's" on the "pro's vs. con's" list is the food here in the South. It's awesome no doubt about it. I was lickin my chops reading about your ham bone soup with butter beans. THe south has more variety of peas and beans than I've seen available for eating anywhere else.

Gotta say I'd take the snow over the blackwater, bream, bass, snakes and gators. I've got all of them at my place. The last cottonmouth I shot was in November this last year and he was about 5 feet long. I've got a picture on my phone I need to post it on here. Took his head off with the 300 mag. His body was as big around as my forearm. Those things give me the willies. It was nice to take the dogs out tonight on the blanket of snow and have the peace of mind that no snake in his right mind would be out in this weather on that snow. The Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries shot a 12 foot gator just downstream from me about 2 years ago. I think he rode the flood waters down. Down here you just don't know what's in the water.  smiley_deadheader alligator The only place I've been swimming in the last 9 years is my pond and I ended that lest year when I ran up on a snake that was about 6 feet long and he slipped in the pond.  smiley_thumbsdown That was that for me and especially my wife.

Supposedly this storm is heading a little further south than they thought. All the schools are cancelled for tomorrow already. Temps dropping and it's sticking.

LOGDOG

DanG

If Southerners lived up North, we would straighten that place out!  That being said, a large percentage of our "drivers" have never hit a patch of ice on a bridge.  We haven't had an event like this down here in close to twenty years, and many of our young people have never seen such a thing before.  Those are the very ones who still think they are ten feet tall and bullet-proof.  It won't be too bad tomorrow, while the snow is falling, but the temps are supposed to be below freezing for a lot of hours right after that, and only reach the mid-thirties all day.  That means icey bridges and lots of dinged up cars.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

LOGDOG

You're right DanG,

Folks need to just slow it down. You know folks up north don't have an option, their bridges are icy and snow covered 4 or 5 months out of the year. The last week is definitely making memories for snowfall for the eastern part of the States.

LOGDOG

Banjo picker

Southerners moved up there in mass in the 50's , 60's and even early 70's ....as soon as they could retire most got the flack out of there and came home.... Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

old joe

DanG you're back!!!  I'm in the path of this storm too.  Born and raised in the North, but when it snows down here,  I stay home!! Never know what the other guy will do.

Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

beenthere

DanG
Throw an extra log on the fire pit, and slide a little closer to it.
Shoes? maybe now is the time to find where you left 'em.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

"LC.......   Yo'r-a standin' on a hot coal with yer foot."

"Which one Pa?" :-\

timberfaller390

Here in the hills we kinda have the best of both worlds. We get a little snow almost every yer but not enough to be a big deal. I love it when it snows because everybody around here holes up next to the stove and me and all my buddies hit the roads in the jeeps/tractors/ATV's/horses and go where ever we want cause no one else is on the road. Also a good time to make a few bucks with the tow chain
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

CHARLIE

I is a Southerner that lives in da north..................... :-\
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

LOGDOG

It's still coming down out there. All the limbs on the trees are stacked up with snow. Should make for a pretty morning and some good pictures. Looking forward to the morning.

Qweaver

When I was a kid, most of the streets in Weston, WV were brick and they did not get heavily plowed or salted.  So we were driving on snow most of the time.  The city often closed off center street and it was a great place to sleigh ride.  Now they are all blacktop and the trucks start plowing and salting as soon as an inch of snow falls.  I liked it better back then.  I actually enjoy getting out on snow covered roads with my 4 wheel drive Jeep or Chevy pickup.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Tom

Charlie, you've been sacrificed to the Great White North in an effort to keep those folks from running themselves to death. It's been difficult, I know.  They put that confounded watch on your wrist and it got short-circuited with your eyeballs and now you can't take your eyes off of it.  You really don't have anyplace that you have to be, honest.  :D

SwampDonkey

The only time I wear a watch is working in the bush. Just so I know enough to stop work before supper hour instead of 9:00 pm. :D

The only thing ya'd have to worry about around here is sitting your lunch sack down somewhere for all the field mice to lug off your niblets. They were some thick last year, see them crossing the road in the headlights. Caught quite few in the house to, darn varmits. Stray cats ain't no good, that's why the foxes moved in. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LOGDOG

Well this morning we're covered in white. Got about 5" here +/-. Some got as much as 7" so far, others as little as 2". The weatherman just said that 240 flights are cancelled out of Dallas (DFW) airport today. This kind of event just makes those meteorologists giddy. Wife and I got up at 5 a.m. to take the dogs outside. She came inside and exclaimed "I wanna move someplace where it snow all winter!". I have to admit - it's pretty. Nice to see everything white and clean. Every tree limb covered in snow. Been a long time. Reminds me of home.  :)

LOGDOG

woodmills1

Here is a trick I learned from my dad....don't unhook the tow chain till ya get the money in your hand. :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

Even better, don't even hook on until cash in hand. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Another tip don't take cash unless your a wrecker service and have the insurance for it. If you charge them and do damage to their vehicle then it gets nasty in court. If you volunteer your services and let them hook the strap to their vehicle then there's less chance of getting taken to the cleaners in the courthouse.

fishpharmer

If Southerners lived up North we would see Nascar on Ice,  :D :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sawguy21

Hey, car curling is fun. That is where the car does slow 360's down the street taking out everything in it's path. :D Speaking of Nascar on ice, we do that on frozen lakes. It's a hoot.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

stonebroke

You guys never heard of ice racing? Its even better with motorcycles.

Stonebroke

LOGDOG

Dallas has 11" ...that's impressive. I went for a walk this morning. Thought I'd just take some pictures with my phone camera quick so I wore my slip on shoes. Next thing I know I had walked over a mile and made the complete loop around my property. Wet feet for sure. ut it sure is pretty. It had been so long since I had "cut a fresh track" from a deer in the snow. Brings back good memories. When I got back I set to cleaning off the cars, shoveling the walk, shoveling the deck.  ::) I remember now what mornings were like before work up in WI. It's amazing how much brighter that white makes things. What was a drabby, dank vista two days ago is now brilliant white and beautiful. Now if we could only get the ground to freeze and get rid of the mud and the muck. Not a snake in sight this morning. Jeff, if ever there was a time to visit - this is IT.  ;D

Take 'er slow this morning if you're driving in the South. Dallas has had 200+ accidents already supposedly.  :o

LOGDOG

Thank You Sponsors!