iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rolodex program

Started by Paul_H, October 31, 2010, 03:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

At our shop we have customers with chainsaws,lawnmowers,tractors.tillers etc and we'd like a card file type of program to keep track of their information such as Name,number and type of machines and belt sizes or bar length and chain sizes as well as model and serial #'s.

Is there a simple inexpensive program where we can store this information and bring it up to view or add info as we go along?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

JV

Open Office is a free program that includes a data base program similar to MS Access.  Not quite as versatile, but the price is right.  It can be customized to your requirements.  I use it for inventories. 
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

IMERC

another vote for Open Office...
look to their libraries for more choices and expandability...

OO is a free program...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Paul_H

Thank you both,I'll have a look.

isawlogs

Is Carla not keeping up ???   ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Paul_H

Roxie

If you have Microsoft Office, Excel can store and sort information any way you'd like. 
Say when

isawlogs

Good help is hard to come by !!!   ;) :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

MartyParsons

We use Quick Books Point of Sale.
Gosh it aint free though.
We also keep our inventory, purchasing, receiving, etc. etc.
It works well. I have not figured it all out. I yell for Lisa when I get in trouble.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Norm

Paul, Quicken Quick Books Point of Sale is not a bad choice. It does have a learning curve but unless you want to learn database programing I'd shy away from the others.

SwampDonkey

As Norm said, unless you want to be a computer programmer, get something already made. If you have a database program, you still need to create the database or customize any that might be provided as a sample with the database program.  ;)

Here is a list of "try before you buy" and freeware programs.

http://www.newfreedownloads.com/find/rolodex.html

"Manage Your Contacts 5.3.1.007" looks promising and free.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

I sure don't want to get into programming and I'm not afraid to spend for the right program so we can concentrate on what we do.
I'll look into Quicken today.I think Roxie is on to something too.Our rental price list is on Exel and it's easy to make additions.

Better go work on some worn out snowblowers.Thanks again

David Freed

I couldn't program something if my life depended on it. Setting up a database with Open Office seemed fairly easy to me.

IMERC

Quote from: David Freed on November 02, 2010, 10:27:50 AM
I couldn't program something if my life depended on it. Setting up a database with Open Office seemed fairly easy to me.

you and me both...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Roxie

Learning to use Excel is not difficult, and it has real advantages.  You have the standard alphabetical listing of customers, but suppose you wanted to offer a special to Stihl customer's with 16" bars.  You can sort the entire database for those parameters.  You can sort by any parameter that you record, whether it's name, address, brand name, model name, accessories, etc.  It's worth the learning curve, and it really isn't that hard.   :)
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!