The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: My timber frame build  (Read 89739 times)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: My timber frame build
« Reply #620 on: July 25, 2022, 03:15:40 PM »
i want the steel blade that is light for doing dust off the slabs and lumber without bending over.  it takes two passes with a broom and a blower does not move the wet stuff as well.  the Lowes is just what I want, but did not find it the other day.  but they claim to have 3.  Thanks all.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #621 on: July 27, 2022, 01:07:47 AM »
Quick update 7/26/2022:

Came up this morning and started fabrication on my beam lifts.  Here's the first pair.  Step one is to drag the beam from where the SkyTrak could reach:

17'9" 2x8 with a Harbor Freight 1,000 pound boat winch and a 1,500 pound "lifting block" hanging off of some random brackets from receiver hitch units. 

After some fussy work, I lifted the beam half.  Pretty much at the limit of the boat winch - not the greatest quality but I needed 4 and needed them now.

Tomorrow the other half.  In the mean time, I was sitting outside my trailer and heard the snapping of branches coming up the hill.  My resident buck.  He sleeps just down the hill from my trailer.  Picture taken with my flip phone and 8x zoom (digital).  He walked by less than 20' from me.

Is he just a 4 point or does that little nub on the right antler make him a 5 point? (4.5?  ;))

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #622 on: July 27, 2022, 10:32:48 PM »
Update 7/27/2022:

I'm using my T-Mobile phone as a hot spot so I can do updates while I'm up here.  Seems to work pretty good uploading photos.

So I rigged up the second set of hoists and learned a few things.  Like, raise the beam with the top half of the scarf joint first!  Really annoying to get it over the lower half.  Almost there:

Place all the braces (tied up):

Drop it down:

Looking at all the brace pockets and how close they are together, I was getting worried that all those braces would make it feel a little claustrophobic.  It's massive so, no worries!

The north half did not set down all the way.  The beam is up about 1" on the far corner post and maybe 1/2" on the next one.  The braces are tight but not sitting all the way into the beam.  What looks like shadows on the 3rd pic is the gaps.  The south half just took a little persuading to set down.  The north half went down as far as it did with very little help.  Once I get it set down, then it's time to add all those Simpson plates :-\  So many nails.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #623 on: July 27, 2022, 10:40:55 PM »
Looks good! Is that a concrete wall your building on ?

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #624 on: July 27, 2022, 10:58:12 PM »
Actually, Faswall blocks.  85% recycled pallets, 15% Portland cement.

The start

Midway done

Water proofing

Some of the details

And the slab pour
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #625 on: August 10, 2022, 12:59:58 AM »
Update 8/9/2022:

Last week I reset the west wall beam.  I had messed up the brace pockets (cut post angles instead of beam angles) so I had some uncomfortable work to do on the beams up top!  But, its done now.

I also finished the north half of the "mid beam" (perlin) but then I was rained out on Friday before I could put it up top.

Today, I put that half beam up top and winched it over to the west side to be ready to hoist up when I finish the 15 posts and 10 mini tie beams necessary to complete the next phase.  With that beam positioned, I was able to remove my lift rigging and put it on the east side.  Took a while to move these 18' 2x8s.  Use the winches to lift them up so I could teeter-totter them over the west beam, carry over to the east side, rotate 180 and reverse the teeter-totter and winching them down into position.

Ready to go first thing in the morning (after I triple check the brace pockets!):

John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #626 on: August 12, 2022, 10:54:14 AM »
Update 8/10-11/2022:

Well, good thing I checked the brace pockets.  I cut both north half beams at the same time and at least I'm consistent! ::)  The four pockets on the north half were too shallow of an angle.  I used the winches to flip both beams over and recut the four pockets.  I touched up the other four on the south half that had shrunk a little since it had been sitting so long.

Flipped them back over and test fit the north beam without braces - fit great.  Added braces and it was lifted a little in the middle due to two tight (too long) braces so I trimmed just a bit.  Test fit again and a minor trim again.

Then on to the south beam - fit without the braces with a little gap on the middle post.  Added braces and again one was too long so trimmed and good.

Bear in mind that for each movement of the beams it's down and up the ladder a few times to adjust.  At 12 rung per direction, I think I got 10,000 steps in Wednesday! :-\  I had to get the scarf joint to sip together but it wasn't happening.  Ran out of daylight.  So wait til the morning.

I pondered on it all night.  I raised one winch on each beam at the scarf ends and no go.  It was so close.  As I thought about it, I hear a thump - it dropped into place.  Lowered it all and good to go.  Next was to remove the winch boards - heavy, long and awkward.  I managed a controlled drop off the side - no damage done.  By 9:48 am - good!

Yes, the sky is that blue up here!

Started on making posts for the loft area.  I finished up one 12' (NW corner) and tried to layout the center post from a 19' 8x8.  But the knots were aligned just so that no matter how I shifted it up or down or reversed, it just wasn't happening.  So it will become another 12' (NE corner) today.  I've got a wack of 8x8x7' beams for the cross beams sitting up on the deck so I'll probably work on those (10 required)  I have an 8x8 heart centered timber I could use for that 19'er but debating on waiting for my next log delivery (next week) and use FOH so I don't get checking.
John Sawicky

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #627 on: August 13, 2022, 05:38:50 PM »
I love it.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #628 on: August 26, 2022, 12:34:48 AM »
Update 8/25/2022:

I've been up working 4 or 5 days at a time the last couple weeks.  I need to put down a floor on the main floor and put up temporary joists so I have a complete second story make a safe work environment to erect the top half of the bents.

So, I made up five 10' long x 42" wide pallets from reject 4x6 & 4x4 and 2x6's.  Pretty heavy duty!  On four of the pallets, I sorted my 2x10 white and red fir boards trimming of the checked ends.  I'm going to run them over to a guy that will run them through is 4-sided planner and make me T&G flooring.  I'm going to borrow the truck and trailer I use to haul my tractor last year.  On the left, bottom is 13' (trimmed 14s&16s), a double stack of 12' on top.  On the right is a double stack of 10' and a pile of 8's on top (and an empty pallet on top).  I figure I need an empty to take the output of the planner as we process a pallet load.  Total of 2,235 linear feet.  Here's the load:

And the cutoffs:

I had a bunch of reject boards (too thin/too narrow) and I SkyTrak'd them up to the loft:

I'll do the same with these 2x6's:

I got two loads of Ponderosa Pine delivered last week:

I've also been knocking out posts and little tie beams.  So far, 5 of 15 posts and 8 of 10 beams.  Whittling down the big pile of timbers I milled up last month.
John Sawicky

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #629 on: August 26, 2022, 08:04:04 AM »
I have been waiting for your update John.  Many small steps add up.  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Iwawoodwork

• Share Post
« Reply #630 on: August 26, 2022, 04:41:40 PM »
Yes, thanks for the update.  I really look for your next posts to see your progress, have enjoyed the whole build along with the good buys you find. 

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #631 on: August 26, 2022, 09:58:59 PM »
Final update to this week's work.  The last load of pine I got from this guy was apparently Unicorn logs.  They were big and straight with very little knots.  These a just "good" logs but I should get some fair wood out of them.

I made up two more of the mini-tie beams this morning before I left at noon.  Nine down, one to go.

On the left will be number 10.  On the right is 5 posts.  Three are 8x10 for the middle 3 bents east purin supports.  You can see the housings that the above mini-tie beams will fit into.  Also on the very right, two 8x8 posts for the corners of the north (1st) bent.  Sitting on top is my pair of test braces to check my brace pockets.

John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #632 on: September 01, 2022, 12:18:56 AM »
Update 8/30-31/2022:

I'm still up here til the weekend so there should be more progress...

Yesterday was hot.  I got up here around 8:30 as usual.  I knocked out the 10th mini-tie beam.  Thought I'd show my short cuts/cheats to make the process go faster.  The tie beams are cut from a 6' 8x8.  They sit 9' above the loft floor.  They have one brace pocket that braces the top of the middle post (19'), a 2x6 tenon that plugs into the mid-purlin post and a 2x4 tenon the plugs into the middle post (one from each side, stacked).

So there is a LOT of wood to remove on the ends.  Normally I would cut a series of kerf cuts and pop off the excess wood.  That takes a lot of cutting (and fuel for the generator) and makes a big mess.  Since these are small and fairly light, I decided to try something different.

I mark out all the cuts and when I cut the beam to length, I also mark the ends.  Here is the 2x6 tenon end.

I make all the shallow cuts (2") with my DeWalt 20v saw.  I then break out the beam saw for the next deeper cuts and finally do all the full cuts from the ends at full depth (6-6/16") to make the smallest uncut areas possible.  Lots of rolling of the beam.  When it all goes well, it ends up like this.

If the grain is good and straight, I can pop off the waste with some wedges.  Sometimes I need to use a hand saw to complete the cut on stubborn wood.  Then it is just a matter of using a slick to clean it up.

I spent the rest of the day using come-alongs to snug up all the joints getting ready to do the oak pins and drill for where I have to install very long bolts in the braces.

Today, I re-installed the 5x9x12' loft joists in the 3rd bay that I took down last month.  When I put them in initially, the 4th bent that defined that bay was not plumb and the joists were too long.  They prevented me from adjusting the bent.  So, with those back up, I also installed some temporary joist hanger so I could install some 2x10x12' across the open 4th bay and the east half of the 3rd bay.  This will make installing the top half of the bents a little more safe, not to mention, doable. ;)

The near bay I will shift the boards to the right and fill the current gap and over to the right with 2x8 short pieces.  The next bay I trimmed the left end of the boards where they land on a 5x9.  Again, I will use 2x8 short pieces to to from that joist to the left two joists that you can't see in this pic.

The hangers are for store-bought 2x10s so they are 9.5" x 1.75".  I didn't care about the height but I had to plane down the thickness at the ends of the 2x10s so they would fit.  You can see that in this pic.

I used up all my junk 2x10s.  I need to toss the 2x8's up there and finish the temporary floor.

All of this will allow me to set up some scaffolding on wheels to do all the upper work, including setting the rafters.  The top of the ridge beam will sit 20+' above this floor.  I will be installing some 2x4 "curbs" at all the edges of the flooring to keep the scaffolding contained. ;)
John Sawicky

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #633 on: September 01, 2022, 07:29:05 AM »
Good idea on the curbs.  We don't want to see you in the Did Something Dumb thread with a picture of your scaffold in ruins on the ground.  The build is coming along nicely.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #634 on: September 01, 2022, 11:38:43 PM »
Update 9/1/2022:

SkyTrak'd my pile of 2x8s up top and filled in the gaps.  Only a few left over boards.  I had some Ponderosa pine in there.  The pine is easily 50 to 70% heavier than the red/white fir boards!  I put one screw in each board/joist crossing.  The dance floor is now open ;) Just have to trim up the near ends and install the curbing.

Down at the far end is a couple 4x6 for blocking.  Now I have a place to put the posts and beams that are cluttering up my work area.  The floor over the 5x9x12' 30" O.C. loft joists is rock solid.  So I'm stacking the posts and beams on the real loft area.  The floor over the temporary 2x10x12' 18" O.C. joists is a little bouncy when I jump on it.

I was running low on screws and used up nearly four 5 ahr batteries.  The little impact hammer got really hot!

John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #635 on: September 03, 2022, 12:51:36 AM »
Update 9/2/2022:

Installed the curb and moved all the completed posts and mini-tie beams up to the top.  The mini-ties I just carried but the 12' 8x10s were heavy and needed my timber cart.

That freed up the work area so I lifted up some timbers and laid out the first 19' 8x10 center post and did my quick cut on the tenons.  Till next week...
John Sawicky

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #636 on: September 03, 2022, 10:45:47 AM »
ljohnsaw
Do enjoy you keeping us up to date on your timber frame build. You are a work horse when it comes to getting things done, and hope it all continues to keep coming together.
Always anxious to see your progress.

As to your timber cart, I copied your design and built a cart for bringing deer out of the woods. Found two matching bikes within minutes after seeing your build, and was soon re-building them into a cart quickly for $10 (spent more than that for the pipe handle). thanks
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #637 on: September 20, 2022, 08:22:42 AM »
Hopefully we can get an update.  I suppose that you will soon be buttoning things down and readying everything for the snow loads?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #638 on: September 20, 2022, 11:48:59 AM »
Well, not much of an update from my last work/post on 9/3.  The Mosquito fire broke out on 9/6, about the same time we had the heat wave come through.  So I stayed home for almost a week due to excessive heat and then almost another week due to very poor air quality up there from the fire.  I went up last Friday, 9/16, with better AQI numbers due to wind patterns changing.  Saturday there was a strong smell of smoke but it was clear air and breezy.  I wore a N95 mask all day as smoke would blow through.  I'd pull it off and sniff the air and put it back on.  A storm was due to start Sunday night and the plan was to work until rain or dark.

Sunday morning, 3 am I woke to the sound of very short downpours (like 15 seconds) with 2 or 3 minute breaks between.  At 4 am it switched to a continuous heavy rain until 6 am.  So I slept in.  Around 8 it stopped sprinkling but dark clouds.  So I packed my tools back in the shed.  I used my Roust-a-bout to de-stack two of the 8x10x19' timbers down onto my mare & colt saw horses.  The timbers are probably 300 pounds?  I laid out the end tenons and brace pockets on it.  Then the sun came out ::)

So I got my tools out again, hauling them back up on to the deck, and did my saw cuts on the pockets (4) and use the Sawsquatch on the tenons.  It got progressively colder and windier as I worked cleaning up the two tenons.  By 3:30, the big, dark clouds were rolling and starting to spit.  So I packed up again and headed home as the rain started.

So, progress was limited.  I finished a 8x10x12' and a 8x10x19' post and halfway through this 8x10x19' post.  Total of 7 posts completed of the necessary 15 to set up the second floor bents (50% :)).  I do need 20 braces to set them all up but I can do them pretty quick, like a days work as I have the stock all ready.

It's raining now and expected to continue through tomorrow (Wednesday) in the high country.  Really helping out with the fires.  The low is still stalled sitting off the north coast spinning moisture inland.  Each day they seem to add another rain day to the forecast as it just isn't moving.  Yesterday a main squall line went due north just west of Sacramento.  It dumped 4" of rain on Woodland.  A second band of rain continues just east of me dumping on the Mosquito fire.

So, I'm still shooting to get the bents up (before any wood moves...) before I winterize.  I have one of the three main beams ready to go up to lock them in place - though I noticed the north half has bowed a bit :-\  Winterizing (full) usually must happen between Halloween and Thanksgiving.  Before that, I'll have to drain the water systems as soon as the temps drop to freezing overnight.  The forecast for the end of the week is low 80's :)

The ironic twist is when I came home, back on 9/3.  I don't remember doing anything out of the ordinary or excessive straining.  About two days later, I got bad tendonitis (Tennis Elbow) in both arms.  It was to the point I couldn't push down on anything, and its still there.  I use a hand crank boring machine for my brace pockets and mortises so pushing is a necessity.  I work hard all summer and when I take a break, things start hurting?  I powered through the pain this past weekend and they feel better but not 100%.  Go figure.
John Sawicky

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
First Timber Frame Build

Started by aguaman99 on Timber Framing/Log construction

27 Replies
Last post February 02, 2019, 03:24:33 PM
by aguaman99
xx
First Timber Frame Build - Gazebo

Started by tadamson on Timber Framing/Log construction

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2021, 09:11:33 AM
by tadamson