iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jointer Jig

Started by ancjr, December 26, 2013, 04:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ancjr

This is my jig for "jointing" or nibbling boards on the tablesaw.  It's basically 2 pieces of plywood, ripped wide enough to allow for clamping and attached at a 90 degree angle.

Attached and ready to use:

So, here's the gist of what this does.  The long horizontal piece is ripped very carefully to make as near perfect fence as you can make.  Then, you rip it again at -1/32" but not for the full length of the board.  Attach a vertically oriented piece via glue and screws to allow for clamping it to the tablesaw fence.  Once glue is dry, clamp the jig to your tablesaw fence. Adjust the fence such that the jig's outter edge is precisely in the same plane as your lowered tablesaw blade.  Finally, you cut the "space" in which the blade will operate by turning on the saw and raising the blade through the jig.

Here is the result at the back of the blade:

Here's the front of the blade:

ancjr

Once attached, you then run your boards past the blade in similar fashion to using a vertical jointer.

Here are some 12ft boards I produced using this jig:

Maybe not as perfectly straight as you could get with a "real" jointer, but the edge has a finish that is smooth as your blade can produce.

SawyerBrown

Very clever, thanks!

I guess another advantage is that your effective "table" (plywood straightedge) can be 8' long, which is longer than a lot of joiner tables.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

ancjr

Quote from: SawyerBrown on December 26, 2013, 06:42:33 PM
Very clever, thanks!

I guess another advantage is that your effective "table" (plywood straightedge) can be 8' long, which is longer than a lot of joiner tables.

Exactly.  This one I made, I kinda wish I made it longer on the outfeed side.  I make all my jigs from scrap and "by eye".  :)

Another similar type of jig I've seen combines a straight edge above the blade with a corresponding straight edge clamped, screwed or glued to the workpiece along the desired cut line.  I haven't made one of those yet.  :)

Jemclimber

A great idea and as said, it would be much better than a jointer for long boards because of the long fence and the horizontal orientation against the fence. I think it was Jake who was asking about making his jointer blade vertical and this would be a great alternative.  Thanks for posting.    Jason
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!