iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

And some other days

Started by Peter Drouin, December 28, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I had a customer buy some 12' lumber  36 boards [all he could fit in the van] all I had was 45 and he needs 80+. So he asks me If I would sell him 14' for the 12' price, I said I am but the 14' have more wood in them  , that's why I get 1.20 more for the 14s.  ;D ;D ;D
But he thought I might give him a break , he was cutting 2' off
I said no and will make them Monday and that's it
I don't think he likes it  :D ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Beefie

In some cases the customer is not always right. If he comes back on Monday for the new lumber then good deal.

Beefie

dgdrls

Really??? the customer is unhappy because you won't eat $42 in lumber.

I bet 99/100 other lumber shops/mills or box stores wouldn't either.

DGDrls

barbender

Well gee, you can take a 10' piece of oak molding at Home Depot and cut off 9". Can't you just sell the other 2' to someone else? ::)
Too many irons in the fire

red oaks lumber

on a deal like that i split the differance with the customer, its not like he intended on getting 2 ft. free. is $40 bucks worth having a customer spreading negative remarks? i know for my operation i need customers way more than they need my operation. :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

21incher

I would think that for that many boards of a specified size the customer should call and place a order. That way he would only have to make 1 trip.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Cedarman

Go to any lumber yard and ask for 11' lumber.  You will get 12' and you will pay for 12' or you walk out without any lumber.
If I am filling any order and am only a few boards short than I may at my choosing put a few longer boards in to save myself the time it takes to make just a few more boards of the right length.
This is where knowing how to be a salesman comes into play.  You have to convince the buyer that they are still getting a great deal by taking the longer boards at the higher price.
Learn about the monkey.  The customer that wanted free wood, put the monkey on your back by wanting you to sell long boards as shorter boards.  Not your monkey.  Put that monkey back where it belongs.
Lets say your profits are 20%.  High, but for the sake of this example.  When you lose that $42.00 you have to sell $210 more wood to equal that $42.00 that you just lost.  If your profits are 10%, then you have to sell $420 worth of wood to put those $42 back in your pocket. 
If those long boards may set forever in your shed, then you should consider making the deal.  But if you know you will sell them in a month or so, then don't sell. 
Several things to consider here.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

sealark37

From the buyer's point of view, someone gave you the logs, you have the mill, and all you have in the deal is some of your valueless labor.  Why shouldn't you give him a deal just to get his cash?  The only reason he came to see you in the first place was price.  Tell him you have customers who buy the 14 footers at full price.  Saw him what he wants and get your money.  Inform him that the best price goes to customers who bring their own logs and help with the sawing.  Keep smiling, and having fun.  Regards, Clark

Peter Drouin

I do that Cedarman, I had a customer buy some 24" x 1"x 10' pine. He wanted all but 2 all he needs. So I gave him the last 2 for free. He was a happy guy  :D :D
This customer ask me if I had junk 2 buy for blocking. I told him all the junk goes in the chipper  :D but I did have a pile of cull 2 by 4 6 8 " in it for 200.00 . That's .45 a bf cheap. No he did not want it. He's just looking for the best deal
A&P saw Mill LLC.

manoverboard

Maybe you should build the mans project as well, since you time appears ::) to be of no value... Seriously, I am amazed at what people, in general, try to get away with... >:(
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

GDinMaine

I would have limited patience for people like that. They are cheap when buying and feel proud about it too.  no_no they would not give you a break if you needed their service, whatever it may be. 
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Bill Gaiche

I believe you did the right thing. Some people have no idea of how much you have invested in your operation, no matter how small or how large it may be, its yours to manage how you choose. A man's time is his to use how ever he chooses to use it, if he wants to work very hard or play as hard as he wants, its his. If someone wants to bargain for your time and product, its the american way. Just because someone ask to bargain doesn't mean there is a deal in it for him. For most sawyers they have to manage very closely in order to stay in business so the customer gets a good deal. If the sawyer gives a break to the customer then he has done that because he see's farther down the road a possible chance for a better deal for himself or maybe he just likes the customer or you have a big heart. Anyway its hard to please everyone no matter what you do. Lets hope that he becomes a good customer for there is a need for them. bg

Peter Drouin

Yeah the other 1/2 of the story, the customer saw the banded slabs . He has a store some place and sells camp wood, and he was all over that  :D :D so we talked about price on that too   ;)
See last year I had calls for slab wood to boil sap for Maple syrup , and I had 0. 
I chip everything but this year I'm putting up some bundles  :)

A&P saw Mill LLC.

lyle niemi

Quote from: red oaks lumber on December 29, 2013, 07:25:07 AM
on a deal like that i split the differance with the customer, its not like he intended on getting 2 ft. free. is $40 bucks worth having a customer spreading negative remarks? i know for my operation i need customers way more than they need my operation. :)
I agree red oaks, Having a costomer leave with a smile is worth alot more then 40 bucks. Always remember, justice rides a slow mule

Peter Drouin

Quote from: lyle niemi on December 29, 2013, 04:35:28 PM
I agree red oaks, Having a costomer leave with a smile is worth alot more then 40 bucks. Always remember, justice rides a slow mule

Well guys when a customer gets to know me  they mostly like me.  :D They know I do what I say I; m going to do. I always have the wood when I say I will have it ready for them. And that to me means a lot. My word.
So the price is the price, The profit margin is not what it use to be. with the way thing are in Washington  ::)
When you work for your self as long as I have I have seen them all . I can read a customer and know what kind of customer they are 2 min after they open there mouth. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

lyle niemi

Thats good Peter, I can usually read the costomers also. If both parties are happy then you got a good business relationship 8)

Cedarman

Quote from: lyle niemi on December 29, 2013, 04:35:28 PM
That is $40 profit.  You will have to sell from $200 to $400 worth of wood to just break even on that $40 loss. 
If your goal is have every customer leave with a smile by giving them your hard earned money then you should have a lot of smiling customers.
One of my jobs is to be a salesman so that they leave with a smile.
Supplying a quality product in a timely fashion makes price tertiary in a customer's mind.  Too often we think we have to cut prices to sell product.  That may work with commodities, but no so with custom products.

Peter Drouin

And the guy was to be here at 10 am to get more wood , had to have it now . I got it cut and he's a no show. :D :D :D some days .
But I knew that I can read a customer  ;D I cut it because I said I will
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Cedarman

When a customer comes and wants a unique order I always say, "Lets go ahead and get settled up now, that way if I am not here, my wife or daughter can get you loaded up" If they don't want to pay all, then I get half.  I sleep a lot better at night when I do that.  And you will never hear the phrase, "Well, I changed my mind".

coxy

would any one sell me 14 ft logs for the price 12 fters I know I get paid more for 14 fters

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Cedarman on December 30, 2013, 04:35:44 PM
When a customer comes and wants a unique order I always say, "Lets go ahead and get settled up now, that way if I am not here, my wife or daughter can get you loaded up" If they don't want to pay all, then I get half.  I sleep a lot better at night when I do that.  And you will never hear the phrase, "Well, I changed my mind".

He'll be back  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

As I say in my little world. A friend of my wife's was going to make a killing selling free range turkeys. They had at least 10,maybe 20, I forgot now. Going to sell for $2 or 3 a pound. I asked if they was all sold and they said yes,then I asked did you have them put down a deposit. No was that answer. Come close to turkey day there many that was never picked up.  :( I guess some could not multiply $2X 15 pounds is $30. Some said that is too much too pay. Get them to pay at least half.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

He called be here 11 am , the storm stop him from coming  :D :D :D ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!