iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Steep ground

Started by Woodboogah, July 19, 2014, 09:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

Tried taking some picture of the ground I am working on.  I dont think the picture does it justice

Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

SPIKER

I know when I take pictures of some of my land and walk it I'm like ya tractor in to grab this log, or rock no problem.   Then get in the seat and pucker factor is got me glued to the seat well enough that I could roll it upside down & hang there without a belt  :D

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

redprospector

That's a pretty good slope. How long is it, and how much ground like that do you have to do?
Be careful, and keep her pointed straight up and down.  smiley_thumbsup
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

jwilly3879

The 240's can certainly climb.

Woodboogah

The whole property is really rocky and steep ground.  This particular spot is probably 6-700 feet until it somewhat levels off.  Next week I am going to see if I can work it from around the bottom of the hill and have less of a steep skid.  It will still be uphill but not like that.

timberlinetree

I get nervous going up the hills like something is going to snap and start going back words. I don't like going up hills in the winter with chains all around hitting ice and sliding backwards. Hills are very very dangerous. This picture doesn't show the slope very well either, but doesn't look like we have it quite as bad as you! Good luck and stay safe 

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Woodboogah

That's pretty steep.  For whatever reason today I was backing down in 1 low and my gear shifter popped out of gear not once but twice.  11 tons gets moving real quick on that steep slope.  Thank goodness for emergency brakes.  Pucker effect for sure!

cutter88

That's a wicked hill but you got the right skidder for the job :) nice machine
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

SPIKER

Quote from: Woodboogah on July 21, 2014, 01:13:09 PM
... I was backing down in 1 low and my gear shifter popped out of gear not once but twice.  11 tons gets moving real quick on that steep slope.  ..

My tractor does same thing & I think it is because of way gears are cut, the revers is not meant to PULL or HOLD much load it is designed to go the other way and the gears push themselves out of gear.   Driving forward (PULLING) the gears set into themselves better, I have also had mine when going DOWNHILL have the load overdrive the tractor and PUSH it out of gear (same thing that the gears are working wrong way.)    That was NOT fun I had load of logs on trailer that weight was maybe 1.5~2x what tractor weighs.    :o   NOT fun, the trailer was hooked to 3pt box blade & FEL that I dropped onto the road to stop, brakes were useless.  left a small ridge in the road that I see & reminds me not to do dumb things every time I drive by it... ::)
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

tj240

the 240 will do it i have the twin but mine a a 6 cyl duetze, most stable machine i ever ran i put it places i shouldnt
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

Thank You Sponsors!