Sponsors:

Those Nocturnal Bucks

Started by Ron Scott, September 11, 2014, 08:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Interesting. An odd one for sure!
~Ron

newoodguy78

I watched that a couple times is it just me or does that antler appear to wiggle a bit? Definitely an odd injury 

Walnut Beast

Jeff

I think it's busted off at the skull. Hopefully not including the skull. I stiil want an up close look! Im out here now. First time to take the camera hunting this year. Now, time for a nap.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Walnut Beast

Hopefully the little guys ok

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

newoodguy78

Guess it could be possible there isn't, but seems like there would have to be a piece of skull attached. They are tough animals. 

JJ

maybe it's shot through.
Still has his girl friend smiley_gorgeous

olcowhand

It may not be an injury at all, save for maybe an impact that jarred it loose prematurely...
I've seen and heard of bucks in the UP that shed their antlers pretty early, and he may have hit a tree or tangled with another buck, and it's just hanging by some soft tissue waiting to separate. I occasionally get to hang with the guys at a Hunting Camp not too far from you, Jeff- and they've had antlers come off in their hand as they're dragging their deer (this time of year).
There's only one way to find out. Jeff, harvest that beauty (he definitely meets the Antler Restrictions requirement), and do a forensic analysis. Is it a traumatic scull injury, or is nature taking its course?
Please advise.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Magicman

Several years ago I found a "shed" that had a small tear of skull attached and plenty of blood around.  Of course I have no idea whether another buck helped it come off nor what it looked like the next year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

I had a buck with a broken antler around the house last year.

Chuck White

I'm thinking the video buck has broken a small section of skull and in time the antler(s) will fall off and the left side will have skull bone attached, and the broken skull will heal over time, and next year (if he survives) he won't have a left-side antler!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I feed the deer in the winter time. I went to do the nightly feeding and saw a short branch on the ground. That was no branch!!! It was a horn about 2 inches long about the size of a quarter. Somehow the horn got broken off but grew. The broken off part was smooth. I thought I saw a buck with one horn for a few nights, that must of been the one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HemlockKing

Cfarm that antler won't last long before the squirrels or anything gets to chewin it lol
A1

SwampDonkey

Nothing like that lasts up here. Even the coyotes will chew on it in winter after they eat the other 99% of the critter. ;D

I was kicking around the woods trail this fall to throw limbs off the trail and found a small part of a bone right there by luck and didn't look real old and weathered. You guys know I have lots of bears and coyotes. It's a vicious world. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Never no bad encounters with bear or coyote SD? 
A1

chep

<brjust checkd a camera i set out a week ago. I already took my buck in vt so ill find a doe with my muzzleloader hopefully 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

thecfarm

HemlockKing, that horn is probably on the stepson's dinning room table. He has quite a pile of sheds that I have found. He gets a lot more enjoyment out of them than I ever would. His hunting buddies come over and they get them out and talk about them. As sawmpdonkey said, I found a shed in the summer too. Was not chewed up much. Looks like only a mouse had found it. He really liked that one too, to add to his collection.
I have been feeding deer for 20 years here. Only in the last 3-4 years I started to find sheds.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!