iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Collector Design And Material

Started by Pepe_Silvia, February 18, 2020, 03:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepe_Silvia

First of all, it seems like "collector" is used to mean a couple different things around here.  Some use it to refer to the 'window' that the sunlight passes through, while the Virginia Tech design refers to it as a painted piece of material that the sun hits after passing through the 'window', as seen here:

For my kiln I thought to slightly modify their design.  The idea is that the angle will be more incident to the sunlight and provide better absorption.

Are there any flaws in this concept?  I've drawn it out below.

I also cannot find much reading on what material is best for the collector.  I plan on painting it with the same roofing sealer I used on the walls.  Is there any material choice that would be better than another, or is having a surface there all that matters?
Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Planman1954

That is very similar to the Pineywoods and my solar dry kiln air flow, except it flows the opposite direction. Also the backup facing metal is screwed under the rafters with clear glazing on the top. This provides a heat producing plenum for the air to heat and recirculate. Check out "solar dry kiln construction."
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Pepe_Silvia

I like that design, thanks for sharing.  
Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

Thank You Sponsors!