iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Propagating historical but controversial tree

Started by Rsimmons, July 07, 2020, 05:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rsimmons

I'm growing a few trees for a museum complex in my Dad's/grandparents' hometown.  They're grown from a prominent honey locust the property.  My thought was to donate them since they are in keeping with history.  Some have said this is a trash tree.  Just looking for your input.

Southside

It's beautiful lumber. I don't trash the ones we have. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

I also think that it is a beautiful tree if you can deal with the thorns.  Some horticultural varieties are thornless. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Rsimmons

The tree I got the seed pods from is a spineless one.

WIwoodworker

Honey Locusts are nice looking.trees with a great canopy. The lumber is excellent as well. I'd have no issues with planting them. Here in Milwaukee it's a common city tree.
Peterson 9" WPF

ID4ster

Go for it. We have the Idaho state champion Honey Locust in the town I live near. Beautiful tree, tall, stately and drought resistant. Just make sure your seeds are from good genetic stock.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

ppine

They are susceptible to wind damage especially when open grown as ornamentals under irrigation.  
Forester

woodworker9

Honey locust makes nice looking lumber, and makes great firewood, too.  I just finished cutting and bringing home about 6 cords of honey locust.  Splits easy, is hard and dense, and burns great.  Burns slow and with a lot of heat.  Lots of it available around here  and I get it for free if I go pick it up.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!