iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edging lumber

Started by D6c, July 16, 2020, 08:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Other than putting it back on the mill what do you use to straighten edges of dried lumber that has more curve than is practical to run over a jointer?
Love to have an edger but they seem to be pretty pricey.

btulloh

Back on the mill usually. If it's just 2 or 3 pieces, I fasten a straight edge to it and run through the table saw. I've used a circ saw free hand in a pinch and got a decent edge to run through the table saw.

Some people use a track saw, but I don't have one.

For me, I just pick the quickest way from  those options that get me to the finish line. If I have to do a bunch I just take a over to my sawmill.  
HM126

Larry

I usually adjust my jointer to remove 1/4" - 3/8" which cleans 90% of the boards on the first pass.  A few will take two passes.  If a lot of wane it will cut 1/2" just as easy.  I run a power feeder on my jointer so its pretty easy work.

I used to use a table saw sled which was not quite as fast and more walking.  With a glue line rip blade it gave good results.

I also used a worm drive circular saw with a clamp down fence and a Festool TS-55 track saw.  The circular saw was by far the worst method while the Festool was only a slight step up because of the nifty track.  Both were slow.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

btulloh

Glad you reminded me about the edging sled. Been meaning to make one. Doesn't take long either. 

My jointer location makes it awkward to use for edging. Not enough floor space to get everything situated right. New shop planned. 
HM126

YellowHammer

We used to edge miles of wood on a table saw with a very long 8' fence.  Run one side, run the other side, then re run the first side.  Both sides will end up surprisingly straight.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

busenitzcww

We use a sliding table saw with a 10' stroke, which is super quick. Haven't messed much with longer stuff.

firefighter ontheside

Some I throw back on the mill and some I use my track saw.  Depends how I feel.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!