iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dealing with snow covered logs .

Started by Quebecnewf, March 11, 2022, 04:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

A bit of a story .

This past fall we cut 370 logs and stacked them in the woods with intentions of moving them down and stacking them by the shore line as soon as we had enough snow cover to run our snowmobiles.

One of 6 small piles we cut.

Things of a medical nature intervened and we were delayed in starting until mid Feb . Naturally we had about the most snow we've had for many years in Jan.

These mounds you see are just 3 of the six piles buried under 4 ft of snow . 

So the work began . We dug of the top layer of snow . Rigged up our snatch block and winch and began the slow process of pulling them from their snow hole . Restacking them then moving them with our snowmobiles and piling them at the landing to tow home with our boat later this spring . Was a lot of work but I had help from a couple good friends . 

One of the landings with about half of the logs .

We will splash and tow these as soon as breakup occurs.

You gotta love it or your crazy . At this point I'm not sure which applies 

Quebecnewf

olcowhand

Quote from: Quebecnewf on March 11, 2022, 04:46:39 AMYou gotta love it or your crazy . At this point I'm not sure which applies 

Can't you do both?
Great Post; I (and probably others...) was wandering how you're doing.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

thecfarm

I kinda get the same thing here. 
Some think I am crazy to do what I do.
It's the love of the land and the wood that does it to ya.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

Crazy for sure! Just like the rest of us. :D  Thanks for the pictures.
How cold is it up there in mid February? It looks like cold difficult work.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

hacknchop

Qh well look at the bright side,with that much snow there should be lots of water for floating the logs home.
Often wrong never indoubt

sealark37

doc henderson

can you describe how they are staged?  it looks like some lines over the top.  I would like to imagine that you have a secret mechanism where you pull on the lines, and the whole mess rolls into the water.   :)   that would be genius.  I will not be disappointed if it is not that magical, but still curious how you do the next step after break up.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Quebecnewf

Some answers . 

The logs roll into the water when we cut the ropes . It's not a landslide type of thing . Some roll in right away the rest we coax in . 

The snow has no effect on the water level . It's the mouth of the river . It's tidal . 

Working in the cold is not that much of an issue . We're used to it and we have the gear for the cold . It's not really that cold . We have been as low as -28C but it runs around -15 to -20 C most days in Feb . 

Lots and lots of snow Thus winter . Another 30cm forecast tomorrow . Back cutting after that I guess . Will start sawing as soon as the weather warms a bit 

Quebecnewf 

Thank You Sponsors!