iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Got Mugged

Started by Magicman, May 09, 2021, 01:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Scammed, hacked, or whatever it is called.  With my email (and cell#) on my website I guess that it was expected and I guess that it is a miracle that I have survived this long.  Anyway starting yesterday, I am being bombarded with advertisement emails from every imaginable source. 

I have always occasionally gotten some and simply "unsubscribed" but this is ridiculous.  With these I don't know whether to unsubscribe or just delete them.  ??

I did create a new email address but I can't simply not use this one. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Sorry to hear that Lynn. How many are you receiving?

Stop hitting unsubscribe!  That just confirms that it's a legit address! It will raise your status and guarantee more spam. Also can take you to a website that wants to implant malicious code, although being an apple user makes this much less of a problem. 

Good luck weathering the storm. 
HM126

Jeff

Quote from: Magicman on May 09, 2021, 01:55:13 PM
I can't simply not use this one.
The sad thing is, sometimes that is all you can do. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Quote from: btulloh on May 09, 2021, 02:26:35 PMStop hitting unsubscribe!
I kinda wondered about that because they want you to input your email address and they already know it.  That is only verifying that I am a real person instead of an un-monitored site.  I will just X them off.  Thanks.

I have sent to and received emails from my new email address.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I get a slew of them too.  I take the time to block each and every one.  They just come back from another email address, but I still block each and every one just on principle.  I get 20 or more a day I bet.  I concur with your frustration. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

I've had a web site and the same email address for over 20 years.
My in box is full every morning with crap.
Like Danny I block, not that it seems to work.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

I have gotten 3 this morning.  It was sorta strange that until a few days ago I had never gotten any.

I think that one of those folks wanting to "redo" my website did it after I sent a "STOP" message.

HemlockKing

My email has been hit so hard by that kind of junk, every once in awhile I go through some and list as junk and then my email account will "get a hint" and start sending them to junk, but there's always new ones that come along. 
A1

Magicman

I used Google and learned how to block the emails and label them as spam.  We shall see. 

I got 4 from ADT yesterday.  They were concerned about my home security but not my computer security. :-X

Magicman

Blocking the unwanted emails and marking them as spam has greatly decreased the numbers.  I am only getting 2-3 daily now.  ADT Home Security continues to be the worst offender.  It's probably "resellers" of their service but to me it does not speak well for the company.

btulloh

Sounds like you're getting it under control. 

Those emails are not from ADT or anyone they claim to be from. They grab the logos and make them look real, but the links will be redirects to fake websites aven though they appear to go to the company. That's what makes them so dangerous. 
HM126

Magicman

Apparently Blocking/Spamming works.  (Knock on wood) but I have not had one in over a week now. 

HemlockKing

Quote from: Magicman on June 04, 2021, 11:04:22 AM
Apparently Blocking/Spamming works.
You meaning to tell us you been spamming the spammers back and it Works?  :D 
A1

WDH

I still get a flood of them.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Renewed my Florida fishing license online and have been receiving all kinds of fishing related email since.  Renewed my atv online in Maine and get almost daily emails from Maine Dept. Of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.   I don't know if they sell the information or the freedom of information exposing you to the muggers.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Mooseherder on June 04, 2021, 08:30:10 PM
Renewed my Florida fishing license online and have been receiving all kinds of fishing related email since.  Renewed my atv online in Maine and get almost daily emails from Maine Dept. Of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.   I don't know if they sell the information or the freedom of information exposing you to the muggers.
They do. Your searches is data they sell off to marketers and they can target you better based off your searches(what you're interested in).
This doesn't really work for me as when I'm crammed with advertisements or ads I go out of my way to avoid that product/company.
A1