The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: The 'Buried My Equipment' Thread  (Read 3186 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: The 'Buried My Equipment' Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2021, 11:48:46 AM »
seed heads over the cab, yup.  it counts, youre in.   8)
Psalm 37:16

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2021, 09:54:30 PM »
Got this from a friend this evening. New guy in the excavator had a rough morning.

No damage, buddy had him back up and going in a few minutes. 

Online Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2021, 10:02:44 PM »
Easier to plumb the machine for a wrist than to try and dig on that angle....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2021, 10:21:31 PM »
 :D

Offline Kim_Ked

• Id Rather Be Logging!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2021, 07:13:52 AM »
Got this from a friend this evening. New guy in the excavator had a rough morning.
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

No damage, buddy had him back up and going in a few minutes.
This one makes me think....
I'm currently putting a road across one of my fields. There is no bottom either. Just as far down as I can dig in clay and soil, no rock of any kind.  I'm ditching as I go and piling the the ditching material on the road in front. Pack down, advance a few feet and repeat.  It was a bit jelly like at the bottom of the field but firming up as I go. Iv done this once already on another field and after the road dried out hardened, it was good year round.
1995 Daewoo Solar 130-3, 2001 Customized Arbro1000, 1995 Case 685, Patu525, Chevy C10 383Stroker!

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2021, 09:07:36 AM »
making mushy clay hard is a very slow case of drying it out and keeping it dry.  dig it up, pile and windrow in sun and wind, roll it around, get it to dry out more.  replace it in lifts with runoff pitch and then compact it with the tracks then let it get rained on and dried out before adding the next lift.  

truly dry clay is about as hard as the orange square flue pipe inside a chimney.  if you can keep the water rapidly shedding, its as close to a conrete road as any dirt will get.  with hydration its like butter.  removing hydration of something that gets rained on and doesnt really ever dry beyond about 6" of crust, is the challenge.  

mechanically compacting it takes a sheeps foot or some sort of small point rammer.  a flat plate just wont work, itll make a thin skin over uncompacted dirt.  but rain will remove the voids on your lift.  its just a slow slow case of waiting on weather.  gosh i think im almost 3 years into it for making an acre of fill buildable. 

Offline Kim_Ked

• Id Rather Be Logging!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2021, 06:41:48 AM »
making mushy clay hard is a very slow case of drying it out and keeping it dry.  dig it up, pile and windrow in sun and wind, roll it around, get it to dry out more.  replace it in lifts with runoff pitch and then compact it with the tracks then let it get rained on and dried out before adding the next lift.  

truly dry clay is about as hard as the orange square flue pipe inside a chimney.  if you can keep the water rapidly shedding, its as close to a conrete road as any dirt will get.  with hydration its like butter.  removing hydration of something that gets rained on and doesnt really ever dry beyond about 6" of crust, is the challenge.  

mechanically compacting it takes a sheeps foot or some sort of small point rammer.  a flat plate just wont work, itll make a thin skin over uncompacted dirt.  but rain will remove the voids on your lift.  its just a slow slow case of waiting on weather.  gosh i think im almost 3 years into it for making an acre of fill buildable.
I guess its not completely clay. Basically I scrape off the sod, pile it back behind my ditch. Then I dig up the ditch, place it in front of me and advance a few feet. I can drive on it immediately after making a few passes with the excavator. Last years road was hauling on the day I built it and continued thought the entire season in all messes of weather. Its kind of baffling actually. I live on the South Mountain of Nova Scotia. Its known to be particularly rocky and impossible to deal with. My property happens to be over a drumlin which sticks up about 30 meters higher above sea level than the surrounding land scape.  Anywhere on my land, I can dig a hole as deep as I like and never hit solid bedrock. Now I've only dug down about 25 - 30' anywhere, but in those test holes, I saw exactly the same thing I am seeing when putting my roads through. Its a fine red soil. Very little rock, you would swear its all been screened, with really no solid bottom. This continues well past the fields and through the forest. I can scrape off the surface rocks and stumps, then dig in to a material that packs very well with minimal amount of rock through it.  I'm just amazed at the geology. I can dig like this at my place, but at my fathers, literally a stones throw away, I cant get the bucket in the ground, its all solid rock and anybody wishing to build a foundation usually ends up building an entire yard up to cover up the basement walls. 
1995 Daewoo Solar 130-3, 2001 Customized Arbro1000, 1995 Case 685, Patu525, Chevy C10 383Stroker!

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2021, 07:45:18 AM »
From what little i have gathered about dirt... since clays, silts and sands will all slake and more or less liquify in the absence of binders like quartz and silica, they will flow with heavy runoff then settle out in any pool or eddy where the water velocity is too slow to keep them in suspension.  Rains wash them out of any disturbed dirt leaving behind rocky soils for ray to pave bogs.  

This mud flow is how tennessee has such even slabs of sandstone for example.. They were stages of liquid mud deposits rolling downhill with the rain and settling in pockets.  If the drying action was calm they can be slab smooth.  If it was windy theyll have ripple.  Different compositions make different colors.  But binder was present to make them into rock.  Im working on a garden accent wall right now and some of my pinker slabs can turn totally back into sand in your fingers for lack of binder. Some are quite hard.

A lot of times you see a smooth flat slab at a steep slope.   That was once horizontal like a big stone hockey rink, before it got pushed up.  Pretty amazing.

I had to look up drumlin.  It is possible that whenever the ice was retreating that something caused a pocket which collected the flowing clay and silt mud deposit that eventually left you with a sweet fill hill.  Maybe a pocket in the melting ice itself.  In time the dirt edges will round over like pits and hummocks in the woods.

I can hardly set a fence post or bury a dog without bedrock.  My burial plot is gonna need fill.  im thinking maybe just save the trouble and rototill my ashes into the garden.  

Offline Kim_Ked

• Id Rather Be Logging!
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2021, 08:42:33 AM »
From what little i have gathered about dirt... since clays, silts and sands will all slake and more or less liquify in the absence of binders like quartz and silica, they will flow with heavy runoff then settle out in any pool or eddy where the water velocity is too slow to keep them in suspension.  Rains wash them out of any disturbed dirt leaving behind rocky soils for ray to pave bogs.  

This mud flow is how tennessee has such even slabs of sandstone for example.. They were stages of liquid mud deposits rolling downhill with the rain and settling in pockets.  If the drying action was calm they can be slab smooth.  If it was windy theyll have ripple.  Different compositions make different colors.  But binder was present to make them into rock.  Im working on a garden accent wall right now and some of my pinker slabs can turn totally back into sand in your fingers for lack of binder. Some are quite hard.

A lot of times you see a smooth flat slab at a steep slope.   That was once horizontal like a big stone hockey rink, before it got pushed up.  Pretty amazing.

I had to look up drumlin.  It is possible that whenever the ice was retreating that something caused a pocket which collected the flowing clay and silt mud deposit that eventually left you with a sweet fill hill.  Maybe a pocket in the melting ice itself.  In time the dirt edges will round over like pits and hummocks in the woods.

I can hardly set a fence post or bury a dog without bedrock.  My burial plot is gonna need fill.  im thinking maybe just save the trouble and rototill my ashes into the garden.  
Come to think of it. The only cemetery around is just off to the next property. Its old... Really old. I'm guessing they picked this spot as it was the only dirt they could get a good depth on with hand shovels back in the day. 
I made a bigger cut across the field than I originally planned on. My dad thinks I'm building a highway. With the wide road and the ditches it looks like a lot of loss of good clear acreage but, the fields don't make me 5 Cents and I needed a better access to the land behind it, as well, just accessing the fields was a challenge as there was only a goat path to it. The road certainly isn't as pretty as the nice carpet of field grass that was there yesterday. I keep thinking that if the old guys that cleared this field could reach out and smack me now they probably would. I'm told that for the last couple hundred years they worked at maintaining these fields and grew massive crops to help feed the community. We inherited it (the property) and fixed it up as the house was literally at life's end without some repair and upkeep. We have lots of fields like this one for any real purpose that may present itself, but esthetically, I'm thinking Ill need some trees along the new road to make it look a bit better. I'm placing the sod back on the road banks to help with washout, it helps look a bit more natural but it certainly makes me think twice about if I should have did it or not. Too late now though. Iv only a couple hundred feet left till I'm connected with last years road I built. 
Ill post some pics once its complete.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2021, 08:47:43 AM »
a good road is worth what it costs ya, and no one knows what they cost until they build a bad road before they redo it a few times.   Wider just means more room for ditching and accents/asthetics. 

Youll appreciate the width when youre sideloading something one day.  

Offline Iwawoodwork

• Share Post
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2021, 12:34:43 PM »
I like a road wide enough to be able to half track it , that way I can keep the road more level rather than just 2 ruts/tracks.

Online Roundhouse

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2021, 01:53:07 PM »
a good road is worth what it costs ya, and no one knows what they cost until they build a bad road before they redo it a few times.   Wider just means more room for ditching and accents/asthetics.  
So true, I picked up a lot last year and road building has been job #1. In line with the topic here is a photo from last fall. No match for some of the larger items more buried seen earlier in this thread, but it took me many hours of jacking and piling of wood beneath the wheels to get it out:

Now that the saturated ground of last fall has subsided I'm back to filling in all the low spots. The trail is an old skidder trail that I'm improving, farther into the lot the trail crosses a small ridge where there is an old cut just wide enough for a skidder to come out with a hitch:

In the above photo you can see a new culvert positioned where I would soon plant it in a low spot along the road. The birch tree that forks into two stems seen at left is where the cut is set to be widened.
This month I was able to get my skid steer in to this spot. As I dug into the side of the cut I used the dirt to build up the fill on top of where the new culvert was placed. The below photo is looking the other way though the cut. The birch tree has been cut (although a tree beyond gives the appearance that the stem on left is still there, it is not). I've cut away the ground on both sides of the stump and will see how much the rain and weather works away at it by the next time I return to this project. 

Wider is better.
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1988 F350 dump, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Buried logs

Started by Ianab on General Board

9 Replies
Last post February 14, 2004, 05:52:59 PM
by Frickman
xx
Buried in Sawdust!

Started by altonwoods on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2010, 08:26:40 AM
by altonwoods