iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slicks

Started by John S, July 03, 2021, 09:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Looking at Barr slicks and wondering which one to purchase for paring.  Any one here have experience? Thanks.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

flyingparks

I have the "large slick" from Barr. While it is a magnificent piece of steel, I hardly ever use it. Maybe my technique is wrong, but I use my framing chisel for everything including paring. That said, if I knew how to use it properly I'm sure it would work great. Everything Barr makes is such good quality. I haven't found a chisel that works as well.

John S

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

swmn

FWIW I prefer a slick (not a lot of experience) with a little bit of "belly" on it, some visible curve on the underside of the blade, as well as some crown on the edge.

A perfectly flat slick with no crown on it works fine in beautiful straight grained wood, but once I get into knots and curvy grain, I want some belly and some crown.

My only slick is an old Underhill with about 1/8 inch of belly in 8-9 inches of run and a bit less than a quarter inch of crown on its three inch width.  I have been in grain wild enough that I have sometimes wished for more belly, and grain perfect enough I have sometimes wished for less belly.  So I figure it is pretty close to ideal for me and my local trees.

I love my Barr framing chisel (I have the 1.5 inch) and have pared with it.  If I was going to buy a Barr slick I would be torn between the scarf slick with a bit of belly like I already have since it will probably be a good fit for my local trees, and the large slick which will increase my blade geometry options in the slick fleet, or maybe the small slick for when I get into something knotty.

The Fat Boy doesn't tempt me local, but if I were to move someplace with different trees I would sure be tempted.  

At the end of the day you will not go wrong with a Barr tool.  I have been hanging with some chair builders lately who rave about his adzes and scorps too.  Once you cry once on the price you will have a good tool, with excellent resale value if you need to try a different shape later.

Not much help, but it is what I have to offer.

EDIT: Sharp.  A sharp slick of any geometry is way better than a dull slick of ideal geometry.  

Thank You Sponsors!