iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole Dance

Started by Jeff, July 11, 2021, 08:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This is the second video recording how I'm going to put a roof over the tractor on a budget, like, with no money. ;) If you are going to make a video about digging three holes, and putting posts in them, there is going to have to be some sort of bizarre creative effort.

BUDGET EQUIPMENT SHELTER at our rustic U.P. cabin. Part Two. Pole Dance. - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

Jeff,

After I got over my initial disappointment in finding this thread was not what I was expecting ...

I am envious when I see you dig holes like that and never saw you hit the first rock. Around here on the 2nd jab we'd have heard that tell-tale "clunk" and grabbed the spud bar and started chipping away.

BTW when raising really big, heavy poles we often place the end of the pole next to the hole, put the spud bar in the hole, then lift. The end of the pole will hit the spud bar and it will slide along it to the bottom and not dig into the side of the hole. Once the pole is vertical just pull the bar out and tamp or cement in place. Another tip is I saw you pulled the rope/string between the 2 end poles to keep the third one in line. We used to put up chain link fence and we'd first set the end posts, get them plumb from both directions and cement them in place. Once set we'd come back and pull 2 strings like your one with one high and one low. When we dug the holes and stood the posts up we'd make sure they just about touched both lines and that would have them plumb on that side then we just had to take the level and plumb them from the other axis and they'd be perfect plumb both ways. Of course we were running a lot more line posts so it was worth the extra effort and less so when just setting a single line post like you guys were doing.

Nice video. Cute add-ons. I was wondering if the bathtub was going to become  a Hillbilly hot tub or something.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

I built a "shed" to put my tractor in. My property tax went down when I finished it.  ::)  The only cost I had in it, was nails and door hinges. I used a rubber belt I got from work for the roof. The belt will out last the shed.  :D Does not leak.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

@thecfarm ,

If I were planning on doing much work as a carpenter type contractor I am not sure I would advertise that property tax drop as a big selling factor to hire me. Although, truth be told, some of the ones I have built might qualify as such too. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

aigheadish

I watched without audio, is it mentioned what kind of poles those are? I'd like to do similarly but I'm worried about the poles rotting out. They looked like just logs? I can't afford the amount of telephone poles or 6x6's I'd need but I can cut down some trees...
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

HemlockKing

I found the music and animations funny. I might need to be doing something similar soon. 
A1

Jeff

Jeff

WITHOUT AUDIO??

you lose! ;),

thecfarm

I had some old steel roofing I used for the sides. There are a few 2x4's used, but only short ones, 4 feet long. Trees was used for rafters and the sides. My FIL called it 2 by tree construction.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Sounds kinda like my plan, but i need 3 more posts. What do you guys think about the dead Tamarack?

chet

Do you have any access to any White Oak. Or how about some of your local White Cedar. Untreated I would think the Tamarac would rot at the ground line fairly quick. 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Cedar is my best bet. No white oak. I dont have any big cedar.

chet

another option is stop by yur local electric utility provider. They are always replacing poles. Avoid da office, talk to da lineman.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

barbender

There has to be some hippy trout in that stream?
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

I put the corner posts into the ground, than all the others are on cement blocks. I used some fir for the uprights. More than 20 years ago.

WV Sawmiller

Jeff,

Any chance you have any black locust up there? That is the best I know of where it is available.
Howard Green

Jeff

Absolutely none. I could not even tell you if it exists in Michigan. Boreal Forest species is what we have at the cabin, northern hardwoods here.

Thank You Sponsors!