iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder chains

Started by Hogdaddy, August 22, 2021, 05:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogdaddy

I bought a 548E  grapple skidder last year that had chains on the front. It was the first one I had ever run with chains. Well, I always thought, man, this thing goes well. Then yesterday I removed the chains because they were worn out.  Now I know that it was the chains!
Anyways, Gonna have to get some this week. Ring or bear claw style. Whats the best brand you guys think? Where's the best place to order? Do I need a tensioner to put them on with? And, whats the best way to put them on, tips/tricks.                    

Thanks in advance 
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

Hogdaddy

And, is the multi ring chain better versus the ring style?

BargeMonkey

What size tires do you have ? What type of ground do you normally work ? I HATE ice chains on a grapple skidder with a passion, cable skidder they work. If you buy rings buy the "tight", usually 3 links not 5. They all have advantages, rings don't like frozen ground, like ice skates and ride rough, all depends what you want 🤷‍♂️

Hogdaddy

Mostly hilly clay with rock ledges and such. I try not to work when its super wet, i've found that its just not worth the trouble.  @BargeMonkey.  28Ls and not much frozen ground. Yeah, you can get by with a cable skidder not using chains I guess, but not with a grapple.

Maine logger88

Chain tightener is the best way by far but you can get away with sucking them together with a choker chain through the rings then pulling up on the chain with a loader
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

BargeMonkey

Your going to run 1 set or 2 ? I watch FB marketplace like a hawk, you can find a NICE set of low hr chains or buy 2 sets for what 1 new costs, I just bought NEW 24.5 close rings for 1200 less off a guy. 

I've got 3 styles of chain Jack's, the screw, slide and ratchet jack, I will find the link for you of the place in Maine, they where including a jack for free with 2 sets a while ago. Personally I prefer the short handle farm jack style. 28Ls you really want a loader there to put them on, or someone with a strong back and weak mind. 

Hogdaddy

It looks like Stahl's has the best prices. I was really wanting to find some within 300 miles of southcentral KY, so I could go pick them up.... but will probably have to order them

Ed_K

Look up "tire chains required" out of Maine. They have good prices and sales going on all the time. I use the short handle farm jack also.
Ed K

Hogdaddy

Thanks for the replies... went ahead and ordered from Stahl's, 2k plus shipping   Cheap as I seen listed by a right smart. I like doing business with them too.   I'll try to remember to post pics when I get them put on.

timberjackrob

I got a set from la grand years ago they still in business I see their add in logging magazines they have held up good 
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

mike_belben

Delks has a forestry partout yard in jamestown TN, just fyi. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!