iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I got a skidder Tree Farmer C4D

Started by Grappletractor, September 01, 2021, 08:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grappletractor

I got a skidder Tree Farmer C4D, not sure what year as the data plate is missing. Machine doesn't run. Electric fuel pump not working so I installed a new one and blead up to the injector pump. Tried bleeding the pump but nothing is coming out. I suspect the pump needs rebuilding or replaced but thought I would seek advice here 1st.

hacknchop

if it's a 353 detroit check to make sure the emergency shut off isn't pulled or tripped
Often wrong never indoubt

Grappletractor

Its a ford diesel but omg I bet you are right and I should have known to check that. Thanks I will check it in the morning.

mike_belben

post a picture or type out the info on the injector pump tag and we can be a lot more helpful. 
Praise The Lord

Iwawoodwork

As Mike B has mentioned in another post check for a tiny fuel filter in the banjo at the fuel pump if there is such a fitting, I had one on my  D3 cat an that was a bugger figure out and find.

mike_belben

hidden rock catchers, broken transfer pump springs, delaminated internal fuel lines and in dodge's case, melted fuel heater pins will all cause you to chase your tail for quite a while until you know about them.  
Praise The Lord

Grappletractor

mike_belben

i do now. own enough broken machinery and i guarantee you'll get the education you never asked for! 
Praise The Lord

Grappletractor

mike_belben

Id be glad to try but i dont know what injection pump you have, thats why i asked.  
Praise The Lord

Grappletractor

Simms. I took a couple output lines off separately and turned the motor over. Each one spit out a small bit of fuel which only shot up a few inches. 

leeroyjd

Is there a shutoff valve on the fuel tank?
I have a Ford tractor with a Simms. Had loss of power, then stall.
During trouble shooting including filter change, bleeding filter, injection pump, and injectors, I was concerned it was a faulty pump.
 Then I went back over things and realized it was barely dribbling fuel out of the tank. Put some compressed air to that line and after a quick blast the fuel flow was strong and steady. Bled again and ran great.

tacks Y

Quote from: leeroyjd on September 03, 2021, 04:17:14 AM
Is there a shutoff valve on the fuel tank?
I have a Ford tractor with a Simms. Had loss of power, then stall.
During trouble shooting including filter change, bleeding filter, injection pump, and injectors, I was concerned it was a faulty pump.
Then I went back over things and realized it was barely dribbling fuel out of the tank. Put some compressed air to that line and after a quick blast the fuel flow was strong and steady. Bled again and ran great.
I would suggest look at all the simple things first.

mike_belben

I have never heard of simms, a quick search makes me think this is a CAV type pump which i dont have any internal experience on.  If its got any fuel at all coming out the high pressure delivery side i consider that a sign of hope.  I would put the pipes back on the pump, manually fill them with diesel using a clean syringe then loosely put them on the injector and prime again until solid fuel squirts out and slowly snug them on while cranking.  

If you are lucky it will start farting to life as the injection pipes get full of fuel.  These mechanical injection systems are basically hydraulic setups with no ability to purge air.  So if youve got air in the hardpipe it compresses and prevents the line pressure from achieving the threshold where the injector pintle is hydraulically unseated to fire in its shot of fuel through the discharge nozzle.

Dont let the starter get too hot and if its slow to crank file up all your copper lug connections from batt to starter on both sides,+ and -

If it doesnt have a negative wire from battery - to starter bolt you should add one.
Praise The Lord

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

cutbank

My fathers old C4D had a 254 ford industrial motor with a simms pump. The Simms pumps are great but you cannot have any air in the lines. there are two bleed screws that are about 3 inches apart on the horizontal about an inch down from the top., just crack each and pump the hand pump that is located near the ring gear for starter. When you get all the air out push the shut off in to the run position hold fuel peddle to the floor and push in on where the shut off cable connects to the fuel pump. This will double the fuel and make it much easier to start. if the engine stalls on startup you will have to repeat the procedure. Also if the machine has set for awhile you should change the oil in the injection pump there is a fill plug near the front of the pump that takes a 3/4 wrench a drain plug on the bottom that takes a 1/2 wrench and a fill level plug thats about half way up on the pump that takes a 1/2 wrench . drain oil and fill till it comes to the fill level. the oil in the injection pump gets diluted with diesel fuel over time.

barbender

No diesel can tolerate air in the lines. As an aside, I think that I would be a contender for "worlds fastest" for cracking lines open on a 906 Mercedes engine and getting it fired up when ran out of fuel. Lots of practice 😁
Too many irons in the fire

Gary Davis

Grappletractor

Grappletractor

mike_belben

Be a handy little bugger to have in the woodlot. 
Praise The Lord

Grappletractor

tacks Y

So someone took a rod out and covered it up?

Grappletractor

No, the worn destroyed rod bearing in the photo. 

Iwawoodwork

an older cousin was a commercial fisherman and his 40' boat had a 6-71 Detroit engine that had an issue with one cylinder so he ran it on 5 cylinders for years. 
If Costly engine repairs are  an issue you could plug the oil hole and back off the valves  and fuel for that cylinder and run it with some loss of power. 

RLD65in24

New to the Forum and not sure how to post individual questions. 
I have a C4B skidder that I am looking for a brake master cylinder or an overhaul kit. Would appreciate where I could look into buying one, preferably in Canada but would also look into cross boarder shopping. 

barbender

If it is a Gearmatic winch, the last time I looked there are parts available on the web for the brake master control. 

C5C Tree Farmer

Quote from: RLD65in24 on December 03, 2023, 09:36:15 PM
New to the Forum and not sure how to post individual questions.
I have a C4B skidder that I am looking for a brake master cylinder or an overhaul kit. Would appreciate where I could look into buying one, preferably in Canada but would also look into cross boarder shopping.
The brake master cylinders on the early Tree Farmers were the same as ones used on some Ford truck applications. Try the Raybestos MK1 repair kit. If you find you need a complete master cylinder those should still be available as well.

barbender

Sorry, my mind went right to the winch control and the OP may be concerning actual brakes😊

Gary Davis

I did not know they came with brakes

barbender

That's what we use the blade for😁

Thank You Sponsors!