iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

arborist saddle

Started by Danausplexippus, March 01, 2022, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danausplexippus

Does anyone have any tips on what to look for when buying an arborist saddle? Brands to look for or brands to avoid , good companies that sell them, anything else I should know when buying one?
David

mike_belben

if you have never done it, the first thing you should know is that standing on gaffs in any saddle for hours with gear hanging off you is gonna hurt like hell and invent muscle pains you didnt know you had muscles for.  dont even try gaffs without steel shank high heel loggers imo.  

i have only had one saddle.. a basic weaver i think without a butt board, just a padded lineman belt with leg loops.  its been reliable in that sense that i didnt die, but i dont know any other saddle to measure it by.  @chet  is probably a good resource to ask on this.  i know there are more guys who climb but i cant remember screen names right off. 
Praise The Lord

chet

First off as Mike eluded to, climbing is very physically demanding. To first start climbing at the age of 65, I hope you know what you are getting into. As far as what gear to recommend , a whole lot more needs to be known as to your intentions. Is it meant for safety gear in your bow stand, are you climbing for pleasure, do you plan on trimming trees, do you plan on tree removal, is it meant for bird nest studies and such, are you planning to do high angle recues. Do you plan to use gaffs,  ascenders, or free climb? Do you plan to use ropes, safety straps, buck straps, or a combination of them? What type of gear do you plan to carry and weight of it, as you climb. How many hours do you plan to be in the gear before you take a break? Not trying to be personal, but what physical shape are you in, and your body type. Last but not least, how much are you willing to spend?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Danausplexippus

Chet, I will be climbing primarily as part of my enjoyment of nature. (maybe I will see a tree frog, an interesting insect, or a nest up there.) I might take up a small hand saw, in case I see dead, damaged, or diseased limbs.
I am in fairly good shape- go to the gym 3 days a week, can do 4 chinups. No deer stand. I plan on climbing with ropes, ascenders, double lanyard flip line once I am up ( but I am here to learn, if you recommend buck strap), prusic knots, foot wrap and maybe foot loops, body thrust. No gaffs, as I know they hurt the trees. No limb walking.  I plan on spending a lot of time practicing 3-4 feet off the ground, getting very comfortable with it, before I go up.  5'11", 185 lbs. Feel free to get personal.
David

chet

I sent you a personal message on what I would recommend based on what you told me. It is a well designed, comfortable saddle at a reasonable price. You could spend many hundreds of dollars more, but it is not necessary for your planned usage.  The company linked to is one of the best in the industry and can supply you with anything you might need.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

mike_belben

just gonna put it out there.. you wont be flip lining without gaffs.  that is a phenomenal way to get killed.  

if you are in anything other than gaffs you are setting a rope in a crotch or big limb and climbing the rope like an inch worm.  and it sure is a workout. ive only done it one or twice with prusik rigged to my belt and another below that with stirrup slings that my feet were in.  

climbing is fun, youll like it if you can endure the pain. i speculate that a butt board saddle is the way to go for just dangling around enjoying the view.  with mine its two choices. stand on gaffs pushing away from the tree and into the belt thats biting into your love handles, or suspend from a pair of D rings that is akin to sitting on a wooden fence top rail under the thighs.  they both hurt and you alternate as needed. 
Praise The Lord

mooleycow

Right up my alley.  Sherrill arborist supply, Wessrur arborist supply, and Bartlett arborist supply to name a few.  ARB Climber magazine back issues and articles( Aerial Arboriculture, PPE,Climbing, and Cutting Equipment).  The fundamentals of Tree work by C F Beranek.  Tree climbers companion by Jeff Jepson.  Tree Climbers Guide by Sharon Lilly.  Go slow, stay safe, and enjoy yourself. 

Thank You Sponsors!