iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Worm Drive Saw Oil?

Started by kantuckid, July 17, 2022, 12:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

After seeing that the Milwaukee worm drive saw I bought is a tad low on oil I find it for sale at a ridiculous price of ~$22 per 8oz.
 Lots of searching for a replacement oil gets me to it being a heavy gear oil and if I go for the non-Milwaukee version, my saw will blow up.  

Best I can tell 140-wt gear oil is similar to worm drive saw oil? - and far, far less money, plus I keep that on hand anyway.
 What's in this barely used saw I bought looks and feels like heavy gear oil. I also have a pressure washer oil that heavy but wt.'s not marked.
 Lucas sells a Hub Oil that's very heavy weight but also unmarked for weight. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

doc henderson

have you priced other worm drive oil?  maybe cheaper.  I bought the skil 16 inch + circ. saw.  I just bought the worm drive oil with it, and will prob. never use it.  I have 2 other worm drives, but do not use them much.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I found it for 19 bucks on ebay, and other brands for 13 but wonder if you ewill even use it all in your lifetime.  where did you buy the saw?  I would expect it to come ready to use and maybe they will work with you on some replacement oil, if it is worth that much to you.  at some pint cheaper and more time efficient to just buy what you need.  Keep it with the saw, and if you ever sell it, most will see that you took good care of the saw, and you may get paid back for the oil.

it does not give info but wonder if there is an msds sheet that spills the beans.  It would be nice to supplement with stuff you have on the shelf.  I still try to save a buck when I can as well.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Tom King

9.99 on the shelf in Ace hardware, or 10.65 delivered from Amazon.

doc henderson

same skil saw tube i got, 6.22 at Menard's!

kantuckid

Quote from: doc henderson on July 17, 2022, 12:40:49 PM
I found it for 19 bucks on ebay, and other brands for 13 but wonder if you ewill even use it all in your lifetime.  where did you buy the saw?  I would expect it to come ready to use and maybe they will work with you on some replacement oil, if it is worth that much to you.  at some pint cheaper and more time efficient to just buy what you need.  Keep it with the saw, and if you ever sell it, most will see that you took good care of the saw, and you may get paid back for the oil.

it does not give info but wonder if there is an msds sheet that spills the beans.  It would be nice to supplement with stuff you have on the shelf.  I still try to save a buck when I can as well.
Used from FB Marketplace with a Prazi Beam cutter attached and a bunch of saw chains. I discussed this saw in another thread FWIW, just not the oil It isn't dry, just not full. The saw is, as I said, barely used and was a great value. I saw the links mentioned, but thanks.
 Ebay ad sellers has Rigid worm drive oil says its sold only in 55 gallon drums or multi gallon pails by Mobil. He's reselling it in small btls- says it meets the ISO Viscosity Grade 680 which matches the Milwaukee specs.. 

The tell tale info is this: ISO 680 is equal to 140 wt gear oil, thus it's a ripoff item which is covered by many common gear oils sold by the quart in Walmart & AP's stores.

But of course, a qt of gear oil is much higher than once was true. Either way I keep that oil in my shop.

I was doing my new tractors 50 hour service recently and learned oil had gone up the hard way! Two pails of hydraulic and then some!  And two btls of gear oil for the front axle alone! 

FWIW, I have no Menards near me, closest is 135 miles one way, but I like their stores.    

Tom King

I can't believe gear oil would hurt anything.  It's not like a rear end differential pushing thousands of pounds up and down the highway several hundred miles a day.

doc henderson

sounds like the base is mineral oil.  I have a gallon I paid 18 bucks for and use it on charcuterie boards as a food safe finish.  I would think you could top it off and watch for a good deal on the stuff designated for it.  

Don P

I put 90 wt in Dad's, seemed to work.

kantuckid

Dino or synthetic gear oil is what mines getting- as that I already have. BTW, they are not edible :D Doc...

My concern at the get-go was what weight oil to use and that is 140wt. which has multiple brands. My memory tells me that a qt of full syn gear oil was around $13 before it became a plus $20 btl. 

Oils gone up far more than fossil fuel since covidism has taken over our billfolds. 

The Lucas Hub oil at 250wt is too heavy per the Milwaukee spec. 

doc henderson

a pint of MO is 2 bucks at Walmart.  I agree.  I have lots of MO around so that is what I would use if I did not have the skilsaw dedicated worm drive oil.

CJ

Use the Skil gear oil. $8.99 in Canada for the same size tube. It'll do the same thing as your overpriced Milwaukee oil. I don't like the fact that manufacturers stipulate that you have to use 'their' oil. They exploit the consumer in a lot of cases.

Don P

That and the sneaking suspicion that they are all filling those jugs out of the same fryolator drain at Mickey D's. Kinda makes one wonder if the fries are full synthetic  :D.

kantuckid

My worm saw uses Walmart full syn gear oil from a qt jug I keep around. Not very likely I'll pay those prices for oil. My knees need a lube job way more than my saw.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: kantuckid on July 18, 2022, 08:57:42 AM
Dino or synthetic gear oil is what mines getting- as that I already have. BTW, they are not edible :D Doc...
Food safe ISO 680 gear oil is hard to get and very very expensive. ;D When I looked the manufacturers were out of stock, I got the ubiquitous 8 oz bottle from a high end food processor retailer in Ontario. It's something that a home owner would rarely need though. One seller on Amazon selling, immediately replied they don't have any and it would be months from the supplier. Lots of characters on Amazon that don't have anything they sell, they basically use Amazon's subsidy shipping and is mostly drop shipping.

Amazon ships so much that they dictate the rates, just like pulp mills do on trucking. Both can ship and truck for half the rate I can. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!