iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm thinking of buying a dedicated slabber -------

Started by DR Buck, November 04, 2011, 08:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

Recently I've had a few calls for bar top sized slabs.  I still have few from the huge oak that were made on "GA Boy' s" Peterson with the slabber but I don't have away to cut anymore since he sold his mill.

I've been considering the 56" Alaskan from Baileys.  At just under $800 its a way to get started and see if I can make a few bucks off of slabs from other species like maple, walnut and cherry.   I have a Husky 385 that will handle the long slabber bar.    I can imagine its a lot of work to push through a large log.   

I don't expect all of what I would slab to be 56", but if I get the larger mill, I will have that option. 

Anyone have one of these that they have used?   Is it worth it?    I realy like the Lucas dedicated slabber, but at $12k its not in the current budget.   :o    Maybe if I can make enough at slabbing  with an Alaskan I'll invest in one latter.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Dan_Shade

Dave, I had an idea once to fabricate an alaskan style slabber that was powered from a small engine rather than the chainsaw power head.

The challenge would be the weight of the small engine.  The engine could be centered over the bar, and the chain run off of a shaft powered by a pulley.  You can use the pully to get the chain speed up. 

A winch setup can be used to control the throttle and pull the apparatus through the log.  (I don't get to use that word very often so I seized the opportunity).

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

zopi

Cat down in tejas has a seventy two inch and makes monster slabs...I guess he makes pretty good money building and selling bars and boardroom tables...powers it with an 090..

It is a buttload of work though...even with small logs...

I have had some inquiries about bar slabs too...one yesterday.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DR Buck

$&^%(*(@#&**@ DANG !  

My session timed out and I lost my entire reply to your post Dan.     I'm logged in from a shared computer at the day job.   Let me try and remember what I said......... ???

----------------------------------------------------------------------'

I thought you'd be one of the 1st to reply to this thread as I know you have a 36" Alaskan.

I like your idea about the small engine.  It sure would save wear & tear on the chainsaw powerhead.  If I understand the arrangement  you described, my thought is that on your "apparatus" you would need to somehow vary the placement of the top pully on the vertical shaft to allow for different slab thickness.  Maybe the shaft would be keyed and locked  after adjusting for thickness.   Does this make sense?

Nomad

Dr Buck, I started out with an Alaskan slabber.  The biggest log I ever slabbed with it was a 45" cherry butt log.  Followed by a 42" pecan.  (I had to trim the swell on the cherry to get it to fit.)

You're correct when you think it'll be a lot of work!  But not real slow, and a good sharp chain doesn't leave a bad finish at all.

I've still got it, but it hasn't been used in a long time.  Neither has what's left of the 3120XP I was using to power it.  (Consider that a hint.)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dan_Shade

That would be the general plan, Dave. 

the downside to the chainsaw is the noise, and not enough HP.  I thought the chainspeed was too slow on Mark's slabber to be useful.  I also didn't like how close one had to be to the saw bar.

a winch setup can pull the bar through the log. 

We'll have to catch up one of these days and I'll draw it out on a Napkin, haha

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DR Buck

Quote from: Dan_Shade on November 04, 2011, 10:38:06 AM
the downside to the chainsaw is the noise, and not enough HP.  I thought the chainspeed was too slow on Mark's slabber to be useful.  I also didn't like how close one had to be to the saw bar.

Yea I agree.   That's why I realy like the Lucas dedicated slabber.  I just have an issue with the price.  ::)   

a winch setup can pull the bar through the log. 

Captain had a posting a while back showing how to pull through the log with a boat winch and pullys.   Seemed to be a good idea.

We'll have to catch up one of these days and I'll draw it out on a Napkin, haha

My place is on the way to WV.  Just let me know when you want to stop.    Did you get my invite for the Shooting Event?

Dan_Shade

i'll have to swing by one of these days.

I'm probably not going to make the shooting event, I have too many side projects going on right now.

JV

Dave

I have the Alaskan 56" on a Stihl 084 with a 60" bar.  I have slabbed up to 48" with no problem.  I have thought about a dedicated slabber but the price stops me.  I don't have a large enough specialized customer base.  I bought all used on eBay or Craigslist and saved some bucks.  Does'nt require much space to store.  Once the mill is hanging from the rails, it's not that hard to push through even a big log, just time consuming.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

logboy

I keep busy with my Lucas Slabber. Even at 10k (I already had the mill) a guy can justify it in the long run. A lot of my customers are guys that own a bandsaw or commercial mill and cannot slab a 50" log.  The tricky part is finding enough logs that size to keep feeding it. I'm afraid a lot end up getting dumped, especially the big crotches and such.

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

DR Buck

I had an occasion to use my big saw today.  Thats my husky 385.   It's the best thing I have for bucking large logs and I got to thinking that what if I was to use it as the powerhead on an Alaskan and I burn it up.   :'(    Now I find myself rethinking this whole slabber idea.  Maybe I should just start socking away some cash until I can buy the Lucas dedicated slabber.   As long as I don't break anything  on the Wood-Mizer, the tractor, skidsteer, trailer or something else expensive  ::)  I should be able to stash enough cash to get one by spring.  ;D 

Thank You Sponsors!