iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame Workbench

Started by Brian_Weekley, March 30, 2013, 07:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

I just bought another antique radial arm saw on Craigslist (DeWalt MBF).  My plan is to put this one in the timber frame workshop I'm building.  I was thinking about building a complementary, heavy duty timber frame workbench with the radial arm saw built into the table as the center piece.  The total length of the workbench will be about 16 feet.  I figure this configuration will take up less room then a separate table saw in the middle of barn.  I'll use heavy duty, adjustable leveling feet under the saw and each table leg so I can make the entire work surface perfectly level and flush with the saw table.  Just putting some thoughts down on paper--it will be sometime before I have time to build the workbench.

Anyone want to share their workbench designs?

e aho laula

Jay C. White Cloud

Nice bench design.  Looks similar to the one that Peter Ferick had back in his shop at "Green Mountain Precision Frames," in the late 70's and 80's.  You could roll the timber on the bench or off.  How will you get a big timber up there?  Won't that post in the middle of the shop get in the way?  Have you found one of the 12" or 16" Deltas yet?

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

WDH

If you put cabinets with doors under the table tops instead of a shelf, you will have much less of a dust problem.  Open shelves are a huge dust magnet in a work shop and major clutter collectors.  At least with cabinets and doors, you cannot see the clutter  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on March 30, 2013, 08:57:14 PM
How will you get a big timber up there?  Won't that post in the middle of the shop get in the way?  Have you found one of the 12" or 16" Deltas yet?

Jay, "timber frame" workbench in the sense that I will build the workbench with 4x4s and mortise and tenon joints.  I have no plans to use the RAS or table to cut large beams on it.  It's a workshop for building furniture, cabinets, and the like.  I use saw horses and hand tools for my timber framing.

WDH.  Good point about enclosed storage.  I was planning to add some drawers, but will consider doors also.
e aho laula

beenthere

Mine isn't a "timber frame" but rather built up 2x4's.

There are four of the same size, but different drawer and door combinations. Each on wheels, and planned to have a interlocking 20 2x4 to clamp in each of the four benches, such that the fence would be straight and have the effect of making the four into one unit. (four kids, so figured each may end up with one if desired some day long in the future).
Here are pics framed, and one as the doors/drawers were being constructed. Behind one "door" that is an awning style is my planer that is on a shelf that pulls out with the DeWalt planer. It operates at that lower level when needed, or can be carried off to another location being it is portable.
I had the plan to have the miter chopsaw mounted at a height between the windows on a 12" shelf for just under eye-height and above & out of the way of the bench tops. That is yet to happen.  ::)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jay C. White Cloud

I understand now, very nice, the doors are a good idea too.  Radial arm tools in a shop like that can be very nice.  You will enjoy working in there, I'm sure. ;D
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Thank You Sponsors!