iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aforestation of the stickery kind

Started by mesquite buckeye, April 15, 2013, 11:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Thought you might like to see a different kind of tree farm.

It's tough to work in an ugly place.

Neighbors.

Small trees.

Staging for planting.

The results speak for themselves. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Jay C. White Cloud

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

mesquite buckeye

Thanks Jay. We are working on it. The redtail pair keeps bombing us while we work though. We will work it out. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

Yes it is a mighty fine looking place. Must grow "trees" for a living? Sell all sizes?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

Beautiful pictures. I imagine it's a little on the warm side but very rewarding.
Allan

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

Well put. We started in 2007. Hoping to have 3 footers in 3 more years. After that we will produce 3-6 footers. Long wait for a paycheck, but we hope it will be worth it eventually. Thanks for the kind thoughts. ;D

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mikeb1079

Twenty feet high in the side of a cactus
I see a hole where the butcher bird stays
If mortals could choose and if heaven should ask us
Here's where I'd want to spend all of my days

now if someone can id that lyric (w/o googling it  :) ) i'll send them some walnut.   ;D  your post made me think of this song, one of my favorites.

great pics btw
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

mesquite buckeye

Thanks guys. I'll update as they grow up. :)

enigmaT120

I did have to google those lyrics.  I love Marty Robbins but I've never heard that song before.  Thank you for sharing it.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

1270d

I was in your town last Sunday mesquite.   Beautiful weather this time of year.  Been in AZ almost three weeks and not quite ready to head back to winter yet.

mesquite buckeye

mikeb1079

QuoteI love Marty Robbins but I've never heard that song before.  Thank you for sharing it.

yep, marty robbins is the man.  if you like him you should get the album return of the gunfighter, which is where that lyric is from.   i picked it up on vinyl for like $3.  there are some absolutely sublime songs on there.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Paul_H

Nice forest.
I was in Tucson in the Spring 1971 visiting family friends,it's funny after all those years in my mind/memories I can still smell the desert smells just like it was a few minutes ago.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

mesquite buckeye

The best is right after a thunderstorm in the summer, or after a slow, warm, winter storm.

SwampDonkey

Nice operation. I don't know what the market is down there for cactus, but looks like an interesting venture.

There is an old doctor from up here who always kept Christmas tree farms here and had wood cut off various woodlots he bought over the years and also planted spruce and had thinning done (brush saw work) on some of the cuts. But he always wintered down in AZ every year. He's probably down there to stay these days as he would be real old now. He used to practice medicine in northern Maine, but his name is a common one in the area he owned land on. I don't know if he came from here, but I think so. He has family in southern NB, so I assume they were from here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I watched a program years ago,Dirty Jobs,?? and they was digging up catus plants and putting them on lawns. They would dig up whatever size that someone would pay for. Seem like the ones I saw was 8-10 feet tall. I forgot how they dug them out.

mesquite buckeye

For the big ones like that they build a tipper/cradle on the back of a truck, back up to the cactus, secure to the cradle, and dig it up. They don't need a lot of roots to recover. They just do the reverse when they plant them. Smaller stuff like we are growing a couple of guys can just pick up with some garden hose or old carpeting.

JohnM

Quote from: thecfarm on April 21, 2013, 08:56:44 AM
I forgot how they dug them out.
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on April 21, 2013, 10:42:10 AM
For the big ones like that they build a tipper/cradle on the back of a truck, back up to the cactus, secure to the cradle, and dig it up. They don't need a lot of roots to recover. They just do the reverse when they plant them. Smaller stuff like we are growing a couple of guys can just pick up with some garden hose or old carpeting.

Huh...I thought the answer was "very carefully!"   ;) :D  Very cool (hot?) operation MB. :)

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

mesquite buckeye

That is correct.

There is no way you can work around them all day without getting stuck a bunch of times even if you are careful. I always come home sore. :)

mesquite buckeye

Back out at the Ranch this weekend.

It's springtime in the desert.

Got up yesterday to a tarantula hawk draging a tarantula toward its lair. By the time I got the camera all I got was the lair.

Been having trouble with packrats. So we called the exterminator.

He started checking things out Saturday.

Saturday sunset.

The neighbors' kids are growing up.

But the parents aren't getting any friendlier.

Sunday night the desert smelled like rain.

Got a nice two incher.

Beautiful sunrise this morning

Oh Yeah!

Exterminator seems to have succeeded, but forgot that now he is thicker.

Very thankful to be freed from the chicken wire. ;D

Next, he headed straight for under the rattlesnake exterminator neighbors. And so it goes.

Jay C. White Cloud

My Brother in Law and I both really like snakes.  He had tons of them around a few ranches we worked, not rodents of any kind around.  Nice to see you didn't kill him.  Having them around can keep you on your toes, but you don't have to worry about your plants getting chewed on.  Loved the pictures, I miss it.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Stephen Alford

Great pics , thank-you.  Glad you found my tape measure.  ;D
logon

thecfarm

Thank You Sponsors!