iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Want to buy air dried oak, southern California

Started by Mark Gibney, September 13, 2015, 09:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Gibney

Hello, does anyone know where I can buy air dried oak in southern California?

I want to steam bend the oak for bent lamination. I'm open to another wood if it steam bends well.

Right now I need only about 10 bdf. If the project works out well I will need more in the future.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mark Gibney.

How about an intro thread in the General board and telling us about your woodworking interest.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gfadvm

A banjo and guitar maker who buys wood from me said that Hackberry is the MOST bendable of all the woods.

WDH

I have sure found hackberry to be bendable.  It bends itself in the sticker stack  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

How does sycamore bend? Anyone ever use it? I thought I heard it was pretty flexible.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mark Gibney

Okay, Magicman, I'll go look for that place to tell you about what I do.

In the meantime if anyone mills and air dried oak or another bendable wood in SoCal, please let me know! thanks

drobertson

tulepeak lumber is pretty far southern, and might be a very good resource
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Mark Gibney

Drbertson, you're right, I should call Tulepeak Lumber.

tule peak timber

If it grows in California, I have it in stock. I would suggest air dried ash.  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

tule peak timber

Go ahead and E-mail me for an appointment. I will help you out with some wood if you make a donation to the FF.  Rob

Warped

Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

beenthere

Thanks to Tule Peak for keeping the FF in mind here...  smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mark Gibney

Hi Rob, I made a donation to the forum, but I'm not looking for free wood from you. I have a few projects in mind for this steam bending, so I'll be getting more from you than I figured last week.

Soon as I know I have time to drive down to you I'll email you and go from there.

Thanks to all for your advice on this topic.

tule peak timber

Thanks Mark for the FF donation- a good bunch of folks here. I was thinking about our conversation and have a few more options in oak to suggest for you. I look forward to your visit.  Rob

Thank You Sponsors!