iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is there something called tension in a log?

Started by Glenn1, September 12, 2015, 07:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn1

Quote from: Magicman on September 13, 2015, 09:12:32 PM
Quote from: Glenn1 on September 13, 2015, 04:30:56 PMDo homeowner sawmills such as the LT series offer three dogs to help keep the log still?
I do not see the need for more clamps.  Orient the log properly for the first face opening and watch the cant carefully as you open the other faces and remove boards.  I would rather see the tension released and saw accordingly.

Thanks Lynn
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

losttheplot

The quality of the logs you are providing the sawyer will have an influence on the quality of the boards he is able to cut for you.

Something about chickens and pies comes to mind  :D :D
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

4x4American

Quote from: losttheplot on September 13, 2015, 11:38:06 PM
The quality of the logs you are providing the sawyer will have an influence on the quality of the boards he is able to cut for you.

Something about chickens and pies comes to mind  :D :D

Someone always has to bring up food  :D
Boy, back in my day..

ladylake

I'm with Ron Wenrich, I'd give my right arm for a clamp or clamps that would hold a cant tight to the bunks, every board would be perfect when sawing the cant with no need to turn.. Also you will need to take a skim cut when you take off a couple of board and the log has stress IF you want the cant to be the same thickness from one end to the other , any other way your boards will not be the same thickness if you are relieving stress as you saw.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ladylake on September 14, 2015, 08:17:48 PM
...... Also you will need to take a skim cut ......

I use my blade for a planer a lot of times.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Nomad

Quote from: ladylake on September 14, 2015, 08:17:48 PM
I'm with Ron Wenrich, I'd give my right arm for a clamp or clamps that would hold a cant tight to the bunks, every board would be perfect when sawing the cant with no need to turn.. Also you will need to take a skim cut when you take off a couple of board and the log has stress IF you want the cant to be the same thickness from one end to the other , any other way your boards will not be the same thickness if you are relieving stress as you saw.   Steve

Yeah...  My clamp will hold the center of the cant down just fine.  But when the ends want to jump up half an inch i use bad words.  And then when you flip it you gotta pull the center back down!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Are you guys supporting your cants on the VERY ends. If you don't stress or no stress, a bowtie will be sawed.
Thats what I experience. I always have support under the ends.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

I think it'd be neat if the the little stoppers they have there (what are they called? They stop the cant when the fence is down) were sharp spikes.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

You could do that, but you would have to pull the cant away from them before turning to prevent tear out.  Everything seems to somehow be a compromise.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: Magicman on September 14, 2015, 10:06:42 PM
You could do that, but you would have to pull the cant away from them before turning to prevent tear out.  Everything seems to somehow be a compromise.   ::)

Yea true, they could always put a little hydraulic kicker on it  ;)
Boy, back in my day..

xlogger

I think the cook's mill has the spikes and bigger ones have two clamps. I have a friend that has one and he said he never had a problem with the small spike holes. I wish I had two clamps on my mill or 3 would be great. Like Steve said you would not have to turn the cant when sawing and make a waste cut. So if anyone is looking for a new mill you should look for two clamps if your money is right.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

4x4American

I'm sure that if the spikes were shaped more like a top than a needle the cant would pop off on its own once the clamps release.  If they somehow incorperated a little kicker on the fence that goes up and down thatd work.  On our wm mills, if you've noticed, the fence comes out further than the stoppers, so, I'm willing to bet that if you cut off the stoppers and welded spikes in the same spot, just lifting the fence should kick the cant off.
Boy, back in my day..

drobertson

I have entertained the idea of something like small log tongs hooked to a boomer that is fastened below the bed frame, where when needed just swing them up and hook and boom down, but I have yet to employ it.  I have found what works, kinda at times if the cant is bowed and needs another pass, such as one or two more,  I lay the log with each end hitting the bed the center raised up, lightly clamp and slowly pull down the back stops and clamp, then pound it down like it were in a vise, it works at times pretty good.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

4x4American

I do that too.  Often times I pound it down with a pv or cant hook whichever is more handier.  If it's really bad I'll break out the old splitting maul.  But generally I'm sawing EWP and for the most part it's pretty well behaved.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

This oversize C clamp is my solution for pulling a raised center back to the sawmill bed for clamping.

More often I have the helper stand on the cant.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Banjo picker

Someone already said it,  look at a Cooks.  My ac 36 has the hold down spikes...no problem.  It also has 2 dogs .  Like has been said, position the log where the ends are suported an saw straight through if you desire.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Banjo picker

Here is a picture.  It shows one of the dogs an one of the spicks.  There is a spike on each bunk. Banjo

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

xlogger

Cook's mill spikes like Banjo picker has would be great on my mill.  Don't know why some of the other major mill makers don't copy this idea. I'm sure they would add on a second clamp for extra money but on larger hyd mills it should be standard equipment.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Thank You Sponsors!