iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Test fit with removable iron peg

Started by addicted, September 15, 2015, 09:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Can you drill a 1/2" hole in the large end for another pin to be used to extract ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: beenthere on September 17, 2015, 01:35:09 PM
Can you drill a 1/2" hole in the large end for another pin to be used to extract ??
Most likely that's what I will do.
the alternative is to push the pin out with a 1/2" or 5/8" dowel. I call that a peg pusher.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

addicted

Is it easier to to drill a hole or grind a flat spot in which to twist the pin out with a wrench?  Grinding it quickly will probably heat the end to a point of changing its characteristics.  I don't know if that. Will be an issue or not.
Rusty

Brad_bb

I had about 25 Podgers made by a local machine shop.  This is the picture I used to spec the body out.  These were $22 each.  The hole is to accommodate the handle which is a just a piece of 1/2 inch cold rolled rod I ordered online cut to length by Speedy Metals in Milwaukee.  Contact me if you want the full size Jpeg of this sketch is you want to quote it locally.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

addicted

I like the taper on your podger, but i bet you hear that a lot.  :D
The taper on the ones i just bought seem to hit the 13/16 size hole before moving the offset tenon hole far enough on a 2" 2" tenon-shoulder. Mine will probably work better on 1 1/2" 1 1/2" or on a 1" hole.
Rusty

Jim_Rogers

I haven't tested mine yet.
But Saturday, I opened the box and showed them to a bunch of timber framers at the northeast gathering in Maine.

Here is a shot of them:

and:

I'll let you know how they work when I finally test them.

Jim Rogers

razor

a straight tapered podger with no easy means to retract it isn't much different than driving a wood peg in IMO. I've had my T shaped podgers so tight it was all i could do to twist them out. I'd consider welding a handle across the top

Roger Nair

If your tee handle framing pins have an oval rather than a round cross section, you can tighten or release the pin by twisting the handle.  Eliminate prying and pounding, increase efficiency by using fewer tools.  Sorry for repeating a previous post.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Brad_bb

It looks like it would work sizewise Jim.  I  looked up that part number on McMaster carr, but it didn't tell what grade of steel it is, it only said "carbon steel" .  I hope is soft enough to drill the holes.  It looks like the pin was heat formed so I hope it's not too hard. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

I took them with me to a workshop class yesterday, and one of the students said her husband was looking for some test pins.
So I sold them.
I'll have to buy more for myself, again.

Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!