iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas Slabber

Started by Clevelander, January 25, 2016, 04:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clevelander

I'm considering buying a Lucas Dedicated Slabber with an additional 8" powerhead to run the planer attachment and sander. What kind of experiences are out there slabbing over 36" material?
Live your truth and your truth will find you

bkaimwood

A bit vague on the question, but here I go...what experiences come from 36" logs? A lot of backbreaking handling, sawing, lifting, dusting, stickering, drying, and space....followed by the reward of the beautiful slabs you've sawn, as you admire each one as sawn (while clenching your spine)...and in each of the following steps listed above. The next reward, is when you sell them. The best reward, is, by far, when you make something yourself from one.... Then is has gone full circle, from log to table. All the kidding aside, very rewarding, but VERY hard work... Almost necessitates proper support equipment, or a few strong young and dumb helpers, like most of us used to be...
bk

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Clevelander

Thanks BK and Terriffic. Bk I hope to head off a bit of the backbreaking aspect with a knuckleboom truck with a vacuum lift to set the slabs and kiln plates but there is nothing like experience, which I don't have much yet.

Terriffic, thanks for the link which I hadn't seen until after I posted this one.
Live your truth and your truth will find you

Grandedog

Howdy Cleavelander,
     Sorry for the delayed response. Part of the reason I'm on here in the evening is that we've just had our best week in Lucas Mill Sales so far, and there's still a couple days left. I think I might have spoken with you on the phone if you were the person looking for the Super Dedicated Slabber with the 9' width of cut. If it wasn't you, give us a call and we can answer any questions you might have.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

xlogger

Will the 18hp motor supply enough power on the slabber to cut wide logs?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Grandedog

Howdy,
  The 18HP has plenty of power in the 60" cut. You might have seen the special we're running on them. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,87686.0.html  We're doing it because Lucas is moving to the 23HP on both models. That way they only need to have the one engine emission rated. We have some of the new versions in stock if you're interested give us a shout.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

Thank You Sponsors!