iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting WRC 3X20's for the mega buck manision

Started by Percy, December 08, 2004, 07:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Our sawmilling group up here in Terrace, recently incorporated as "The Thick And Thin Lumber Company Inc." got an order for 22000 bdft of WRC 3X20 in 14, 16,20 and 22 foot lengths. When we were pricing this order out, we realized that the recovery factor of 3X20's as compared to falldown(side lumber) would be too high with smaller logs. We needed at least a 24-25 inch top. The specs for this cut was strict(minimal wane, no rot no shake etc) and finding the right logs at the right price was as big a challenge as cutting some of these monsters. THe LT70 breezed through the ones that were no more tham 37 inches at the butt, but there was this monster that I woulda given my right arm for a swinger that could  double cut a 20 inch pass.

it was very wastefull cutting this monster with notches and all but after doing my guzzintas, it had the best recovery factor of any that I cut for this order.

It took me 3 hours to cut this one log with all the notchin, cussin, sweatin. I was by myself  and with side lumber, got about 1100 bdft from this puppy. It had a defect in the butt that went in for about three feet.

It was easy to cut, once it was down to a managable size.

My share of this order was 7760 bdft and my son Warren and I did it in 5 days. There was another 6400(approx) bdft of side lumber. WE were just under 3000 bdft a day.

Im tired ;D ;D ;D ;Dthe dragback/conveyor steup I got couldnt handle any of these beams let alone the 20 footers but we made good coin on this order. The fella in our group that has the big extension on his LT40 is doing real well cutting 40 footers.

So much stuff to buy,so little time :D :D :D :D

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Norm

Cool stuff Percy. I see you're using the lazer too, right up there on my wish list. :)

Fla._Deadheader

WOW. Nice job, Percy. 8)

BTW, Homey coulda handled that Big one. We can cut 37" wide X 15" high, in the throat. MIGHT be for sale some day. ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Engineer

That's a lot more than my leetle LT30 can handle.

What's the intended use of WRC 3x20's?  Floor Joists? or rafters? ???

EZ

Great job, Percy. I also like the laser, maybe one of these days. ;D
40 incher is all my mill can do, a log like that I would have to chainsaw it to death. :D
Congrats again.
EZ

Percy

Ya Norm, the laser I got a couple of months ago. Its a time saver extrordanare :P. I didnt realize just what a usefull adddition it was untill I got one. It helps with the big ones alot  but really shines when you are cutting smaller logs. Setting toe boards and the height of your first cut accuratley is sooo easy that mis cuts and walking to measure is no longer necessary.

FLDH. Homey would be right at home :D cutting these babys. I didnt realize he was so big.Dya think he would mind immigratin to the land of snow and eskimos?? :D :D

Heya Engineer.  The broker wouldnt tell us exactly what they were being used for as Im thinkin he was worried we'd push the spec limits if we knew. Probably right. Probably some open ceiling and these were the rafters/ceiling joist/whatever. Id like to see it when its done ;D

EZ- You can cut a 40 incher on that unit???Wow. Thats good. I can do them but they are a pain. I learned a trick on this job,I leave the blade off while Im positioning the log and then I can measure just how low I can go before notching by running the head back and forth. Its time well spent as this method saves unnessessary notching. (running Husky 288 at head level is kinda unsettling) and you can mess up some nice boards by notching more than you need.
Back to your mill EZ, I didnt realize just how much you modified it when you  rebuilt it.

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

iain

Thank You Sponsors!