iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New saw and Black Walnut

Started by Crossroads, September 29, 2017, 10:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

So, I have officially bought a new lt40, but haven't been able to pick it up yet. I think it's a good sign that I haven't even got the mill yet and today I stumbled on to a black walnut tree that has been cut down and sadly some of it cut into firewood, but there are a few good size chunks with crotches. I'm pretty excited that one of the first logs I get to saw will be something so valuable.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

millwright

Should be fun, watch out for metal. Walnut must be magnetic with the amount of junk it attracts.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crossroads

Thanks cfarm!

The tree is coming out of a front yard so, ill definitely want to run a metal detector over it.

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

LeeB

You can check it by running a metal detector over it but the most efficient one is the one you'll be running through it. New blades are the best at finding metal.   :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Brad_bb

Yeah, I saw walnut yard trees.  There will be metal about 50 percent of the time in the butt log.  You'll ruin a blade or two.  If the blade will still cut without diving, continue using it carefully to find the next nail.  Just dig the metal out when you find it and continue.  I use a drill with 1/8" bit (Black Ace Hardware brand bits seem to be less prone to snapping than all the other brands I've tried), a cats paw and hammer, a slide hammer nail remover(old school but are still sold new on Amazon from Apex or Crescent), awl, and 1/2" chisel.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Kbeitz

I just sawed a walnut tree that had 10 nails in it.
Of course it was a brand new blade. I just touched
it up with a dremel after each hit and I sawed up
two logs with that blade. Now I need to sharpen it right.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crossroads

On the bright side it appears to not be old enough to have accumulated a lot of nails. On the down side it appear not to be old enough to have accumulated much dark heart wood either :(

OffGrid973

When you guys say touch up with a dreamel is it really that easy. Watched a few YouTube videos last night since I went through 6 of my 20 blades this week, but I never feel confident it will sharpen up correctly.  Is there a manual file size or specific dremel bit anyone suggests for woodmizer 4, 9 and 10 degree blades?
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Kbeitz

I'm using 4% blades. I use a 3/8 X 1" dremel stone. Works for me.
I take a black marker and mark the first tooth. The blade stays on
the saw. Takes about 4 min. to make one round. So much faster
than taking the time to take off the blade and mounting it on the
blade sharpener.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

customsawyer

Congrats on the new mill. I think back to what I did to my poor first log and am glad my first log wasn't walnut. My recommendation on the blade sharpening is to send them to a professional sharpening service. You have plenty of things to learn with the new mill and there is plenty of other stuff to learn when you get into sharpening. Two different task completely.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WV Sawmiller

X-Roads,

Congrats and good luck with the new mill and your walnut.

As a heads up that Dremel tool trick Kbeitz uses is not widely used IMHO. It seems to work for him but I don't know of a lot of others using that trick. If they do I hope they chime in here.

The chain saw makers and TSC make a tool like that that runs on 12V battery to sharpen chains saws and you can buy stones to match the saw chain. Oregon and TSC have the switch on the box for one handed starting and operation. Sthil has the switch on the cord and you have to buy their stones. The other brands use any stones. I prefer Oregon and have used Sthil, Oregon & TSC in the past. It works great on my chains saw. I sometimes hook it to my mill battery if most convenient - usually use ATV.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

When I first joined up to this club I show how I was doing the dremel sharpening
I got Ridiculed for even trying it. So I left it slide for a while. I kept it to myself
but it does work. Maybe not for everybody but I had some forum members PM me
saying that they did not think it was right because they also sharpened with a dremel.
They said that they would not post because of the ribbing I got and I don't blame them.
Back in the old days band saw blades was sharpened with a file. I have a file machine
to prove this. So... Whats the difference of using a file or a grind stone? My 3/8 dremel
stone fits right in the curve of my gullet and does a nice job for one blade. Them the stone
gets to small to do a good job. I buy my stones 100 at a time on E-bay real cheap so after
using it one time it goes to the shop for other uses. So people don't cry until you try...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crossroads

Why unloading the biggest chunk that someone had enough forethought to leave a crotch in I found a section of spider wire(fishing line) that has grown into the bark. Just guessing, but that's probably where I'll find my first nail.

I hadn't really thought about the learning curve with the new rig. I figured the only thing I was really going to have to get used to was making sure I lower the roller toe boards before turning the log and getting efficient with the set works, since I'm used to using the sliding 4/4 scale.

I don't have a dremel so, I'll probably continue to use resharp.

Magicman

Quote from: Crossroads on October 01, 2017, 08:12:07 AMI don't have a dremel so, I'll probably continue to use resharp. 
Good decision.

Quote from: cwimer973 on September 30, 2017, 06:37:48 PM
When you guys say touch up with a dreamel is it really that easy.
Who is "you guys"?  Not me.  My opinion is that repeatedly maintaining anywhere close to the same hook angle without some sort of a jig would be virtually impossible. 

Now to knock the rough off and run that blade again would be an experiment for any hobby type sawyer, but if you are anywhere near trying to saw production, you would be best served with properly sharpened blades. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz,

I certainly hope you did not think I was being critical of your system. That was never my intention. It works for you and I appreciate you sharing.

The chain saw sharpening stones come in many sizes and I think you can even get diamond stones for longer life. I bet they would fit your Dremel tool if the shank is not too big. I like the system for my chain saws because I can sharpen them in the woods on my saw using my ATV or truck battery and I have used my mill battery. Oregon and others make the stones in assorted sizes if you ever need a different size. Sthil stones are threaded and only work on their sharpener while the others can use the plain stones or Sthil stones.

If I were looking for a file for the sawmill bands I'd check in the chainsaw area for them too. You might even use the angle guides like you buy for chainssaws for a more consistent sharpening.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

I have used the 12 volt dremel to sharpen chainsaws for years.
We needed something fast here on the Christmas tree farm at harvest time.
We do use the diamond stones.

Quote...
I certainly hope you did not think I was being critical of your system. That was never my intention. It works for you and I appreciate you sharing.

I don't let little thing bother me... No offence taken... :)

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

terrifictimbersllc

If I ran out of blades 100 miles from home and needed to finish the job and customer offered me a dremel knowing what I learned here on FF  I'd try it sooner than cutting the rest of his lumber wavy with a dull blade.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mad murdock

Sharpening a blade for the purpose of cutting wood is based on specific principles, once they are understood, the tool selected to maintain or restore s blade to that condition is up the the one doing the work. I have used a hand diamond stone to sharpen the carbides on my Turbosawmill. It works surprisingly almost as well as the grinder. I see no issue with using a dremel, file or other homemade device. In a pinch you could even use wet/dry sandpaper of proper grit wrapped around a drill rod of proper size to get the job done. Where there's a will there is a way.
I was school envy a master saw filer, he taught me simple ways to sharpen practically anything.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 01, 2017, 01:40:33 PM
If I ran out of blades 100 miles from home and needed to finish the job and customer offered me a dremel knowing what I learned here on FF  I'd try it sooner than cutting the rest of his lumber wavy with a dull blade. 
Agreed, and I have an electric "dremel" type chainsaw sharpener in my truck. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

yes, congrats on your new mill and new next adventure, and congrats on another successful thread hijacking :D :D the only thing that really surprises me? is why Kbeitz has not built a sharpener of his own,, :D Lord knows he likes to build stuff,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Kbeitz

Quote from: drobertson on October 01, 2017, 05:36:27 PM
yes, congrats on your new mill and new next adventure, and congrats on another successful thread hijacking :D :D the only thing that really surprises me? is why Kbeitz has not built a sharpener of his own,, :D Lord knows he likes to build stuff,

I have... But the time it take to take off the blade and put it in the machine is
about the same amount of time to just grab the dremel. I can't see where one
does a better job than the other...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!