iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what was the best most trouble free saw you ever owned

Started by treechopper40, January 23, 2014, 03:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltydog

630 jonsered i bought it new ran it 9 years full time piece cutting.It cut mostly softwood.Sold it to a neighbor it blew up several years after that.No major work only bars chain a couple of clutches.I made my first $100 day in the woods with that saw it was 1985 cutting jack pine.I had to drive over 70 miles one way to work.I remember it well i was cutting near pine stump junction i got paid 14 cents a stick jobber bought my oil.Hot as h##L in august.Forgot my water one day ate blueberries all day :).Wish they still made saws that tough.Wish i was still that tough.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Lorenzo

late 80's  Stihl  028.  NEVER been worked on other then a bar and chain.

s grinder

70E Jred 77 vintage used it for years in part time firewood business cutting and bucking rounds,on it's second pull cord,still runs good but like me, in retirement

David-L

small saw Johny 2152, medium saw Johny 2159, Large saw toss up 2171 johny, old Sthil 044. Well , I really like all saws running or not.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

gspren

In 30+ years my 041FB has had 1 repair to stop a bar oil leak, if it had AV I wouldn't have bought the 044 17 years ago that has never needed any repairs. Both good but I really like the 044.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

brettl

026 Pro before the 8!@#%^&* stole it. 200T and 441 top the list now. I do 80% of my cutting with the 200T though. The ease of handling and compact power leads me to use it for far more than it was designed for but it's a champ! :)

Upnorth

Husqvarna 365. Wore the first one out, bought a 562 Auto Tune, cursed and hated it from day 1, bought another 365 and love it. Couldn't ask for a better machine......but they will soon be discontinued......too bad
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

Alexanderthelate

Not my saw, but my father's old PMS145-14 Mac was the most trouble free saw I ever saw. That thing was abused and beaten on, worked like a dog and it is still cutting like a hungry beaver in front of a hydro dam. Dad's mixed gas was awful (he'd splash a bit of oil in the bucket and try and make fifty same sized splashes of gas- sometimes he would let it sit for a year before he used it), it was stored on the wood pile and got knocked around and hit by junks of wood, it has been left overnight in the woods in a snow bank. I think the fuel filter was changed once, a few spark plugs and that about equals the service it gets/ has got for the past thirty years. (some times he lets it for months with a tank full of fuel (he only uses it for cutting his fire wood)) The only serious repair it got was when the primer bulb rotted from the sunlight and he jammed a bit of wood in there and stuck a screw into the fuel line (I went back and put some JB-Weld  over that when it started to leak about twenty years afterwards.

CR888

I like it how Athelate's father repaired the repair 20 years later by covering the old repair with jb weld. Fantastic! 8)

giant splinter

roll with it

lynde37avery

my fold up saw my dad bought for me at a hardware store when i was 5. we cut christmas trees with it. never have had an issue.

and...my jonsered 2171. but the 455 rancher comes in 2nd with reliability.
Detroit WHAT?

mikey517

I came to this whole chainsaw firewood culture rather late in life. I only have 3 saws, Huskies, and at my age, they will probably outlast me. I like all three for what they do; they start every time, run real good, and make the work of cutting firewood fun.

That being said, the 353 has worked the hardest in its short career with me. Its cut in bitter cold and blazing summer heat without a hiccup.

My 240e was my first, the 365XT is fun on the BIG stuff, but the 353 is the one I like to reach for the most.

lumberjack48

The 034 Stihl is the most trouble free saw i ever carried, running 9 to 12 tanks of gas everyday though it. The first 034 AV i bought i fell about 12,000 cds with it over a three year period, besides bucking up and cutting all my firewood. This saw impressed me everyday, how fast it cut, just a fun saw to run. If i was falling 10 to 24 inch pine and there was a 066 and a 034 setting side by side, I'd take the 034.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

ShaunUK

Husqvarna 50 Rancher, still going strong and still has original starter recoil. But my Husqvarna 51 has gone through 3 starters. Dont think the boss on the 51 is strong enough or ive been unlucky. The quality of the starters on the older models were much better imo. :)
Jonsereds 70E-Husqvarna 51-Husqvarna 50 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!