iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gearmatic 9 Problems On Pettibone FEL Skidder Master 501

Started by Sean Keys, March 22, 2018, 06:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Keys

So I'm having a slight issue.... just getting this Skidder put together and I picked up a rebuilt gearmatic 9 winch which has been sitting and I'm having an issue. When I pull on the winch controller in the clutch engagement direction all that happens is a humming noise. When I reverse the hoses and I release the handle from the clutch direction it moves the wrong way for a split second. At any rate I'm assuming the brake is sticking?? Is there anyway to tell besides pulling the side cover off or should I dive in? Any other things it could be?? Any things to look out for?? Anyway to get a manual for the winch and the Skidder? 

On a side note what's this machine worth? Need to know for insurance purposes. Engine rebuilt within last 500 hours, all hydraulic cylinders rebuilt, all new hoses, new hydraulic pump, rebuilt master controller and winch. Good tires, plenty of tread and everything works.  Loads of work done just don't want to risk getting screwed by the insurance company should the insurance ever be needed. 

bushmechanic

You may as well pull the cover off it and see what's going on in there, because you will be inside of that Gearmatic way more than you will want to be! It looks like a fine old beast you have there, useful to have around with that FEL. 

SW Oh Logger

Not exactly an answer to your problem {Gearmatics are just that!!}, but I owned a 1978  Pettibone 501 Master Speed Skidder " Mountain Goat"  --their name, with a picture even, from 1992 until 2004. It had a 353 Turbo, 4spd. gear box with a 2 spd. transfer case, 18.4x 26 tires with a Gearmatic 19 with the FEL. Pulled good, would load almost anything if you were careful. Not bad on fuel, pulled pretty good, winch would pull a lot when it was working good! Still have some pictures around I'll try to post. Sorry about the derail, just a little walk down memory lane! These machines are kinda rare now!
Snellerized 390xp,stock 395

mike_belben

Its worth every penny i got and then some.  Beautiful machine. 
Praise The Lord

Sean Keys

I got it tore apart and it is indeed the brake bands preventing the rotation. Is there something that is supposed to release the brakes when I pull the handle?

Gary Davis

if its like my 8a it has a master control lever (master cylender ) push down it releases the brake pull back and it engages the clutch ,there is a slave cylender it each end hope this pic helps

coxy

that should have a 19-119 winch on it i had  a 501 for about 9-10 years till all the parts dried up  that should have the rad like i was talking about i have a few yokes and drive shafts for it my even have a sun gear or 2 laying around  the best day i had is when it went down the road i sold it for 4k more than i paid for it 8)    the only thing i miss from that skidder is the 119 winch never ever had any trouble with it never put any bands in it while i had it the other 2 119s i have i would love to smash them to pieces  they are a never ending nightmare  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

mike_belben

Quote from: coxy on March 23, 2018, 08:05:25 PM
other 2 119s i have i would love to smash them to pieces  they are a never ending nightmare  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
The night is young coxy, youtube it for us!
Praise The Lord

coxy

if i had some other winch to put back on there  i would 

Thank You Sponsors!