iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

They walk among us

Started by sawguy21, June 18, 2019, 08:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

lxskllr, you don't need to go far to see a huge "pumped storage" facility. Muddy Run in Lancaster Co, PA has a large facility where water is pumped up the hill during periods of low electric demand and then used to generate during periods of high demand. Not sure about now but it was once the largest facility of its kind in the world.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

lxskllr

I /may/ have driven over that last trip to AK saw shop heading back to the office. I was following gps, so I wasn't super aware of where I was. It was a huge earthen dam, and the downstream side seemed to fall away forever. I kind of wish I stopped for a closer look, but I wanted to get back to the office. I'll be exploring that area more once decent weather gets here. Lots of interesting things to see. I might even pull out my old canoe, and checkout the rocky area below Holtwood dam. That looks really interesting from the road  :^)

doc henderson

I find it funny, the few folks here with electric cars that think the electricity just comes out of the wall.  They do not want to believe that the electricity was made with natural gas or coal.  any time you change energy states there is waste in the form of heat, light, noise.  we are getting lots of wind turbines now.  when we would travel, we used to tell the kids we wish they would turn the fans off, cause it is making it kind of windy.  My dad would have us put our hands on the glass in the car when I was young, as we passed by radio towers, and asked if we felt a pain when they all lined up... a window pane.  Kids are on there phones and disengaged any more.  I am sure she knows a few things the other kids don't since her dad is a pain and points them out to her! :) :) :)  @lxskllr 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

The 17 year old that came to work for me for a whole 5 hours last week - of which only 2 were actual work - did not know how to use a tape measure.   :o
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawguy21

He had probably never seen one used. I once walked into a service garage (anybody remember those?) and asked the kid for a left handed crescent wrench. He pawed through the tool box pulled out a wrench and said" This is the only kind.. " then the light came on. I quickly left. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

btulloh

SAE or metric crescent wrench?
HM126

doc henderson

most are metric as they are all made in other countries!!!   :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DelawhereJoe

While on the subject of adjustable crescent wrenches......they make a crescent wrench with reversible pipe wrench jaw thats also a passthrough ratchet in standard/metric/universal
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Pine Ridge

Conversation in 1990 between two guys i worked with at a door factory, both were in their 60s. Ralph whips out his tape measure and asks junior " is this still 5/8 s ". Junior replies " no ralph, they changed that while you were on vacation "  !!!!!!!!
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

47sawdust

I gave up asking for 3/8 of a # of cold cuts at the deli counter.Even after giving them the decimal equivalent i'd get a puzzled look.I suppose i'm being cruel.
I thought I'd simplify the process and just ask for 6 slices...well that backfired.I got 6 slices at #2 cut which weighed about 3/4 of a #.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Magicman

I order ¾ of a pound here and get a third of a pound.  She said that it was the same thing because her scale said .34 pound.  ::)  I order either a half or a whole pound.  smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

CArefdul MM. if you order 1/2 pound, you might get .05 or 5 pounds, or, by the preceeding logic, you might get .12 pounds. Hard to say. Why must you be so difficult? :D :D :D ;D ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

They know half a pound so maybe they ain't stoopid, just ignorant.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DWyatt

When I was in college, we would go through a lot of cheap lunch meat so if we told the worker behind the counter we needed 2 lbs and she went over she would try to throw away the extra slice and be worried that we would be upset if it wasn't perfect, not us. She said there was a guy who came in every other day and ordered 1/3 of a lb of ham and if it wasn't perfect he would throw a fit. Being the nerd that I am, I told her to tell him that her scale doesn't measure that accurate in decimals... 0.333333333333333333333333333...... I kid you not, I saw my comment fly over her head and hit the back wall :D

sawguy21

The college cafeteria had a cashier that only knew how to make change for a five, some students learned to take advantage by giving her a deuce. She didn't last long.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

This one's amusing, but I'd chalk it up to ignorance as opposed to stupidity...

At a McDonalds once, I paid for part of my order with a $2 bill. The young girl behind the counter didn't know what to make of it, and called the manager over to ok it  :^D

Not sure what made me think of that, but I also thought it would be fun to get a couple stacks from the bank to troll counter help at stores. Maybe get a couple rolls of Susan Bs for added fun  :^D

btulloh

I think you'll have to get Sacagewa's.  All the Susan B's are in a warehouse in Philadelphia due to lack of acceptance.  They might be sending the Sacagawa's there also by now.  

In any case, carry on with your noble mission.   :D

HM126

Jim_Rogers

One time in the seventies, my father when to the bank and got $100 in $1 bills all with consecutive numbers.
He brought them back to our woodshop and cut out a piece of cardboard the same size as the dollar bills.
He clamped them down in line with this cardboard base and spread glue across the end of the stack.
The glue dried and all the bills were stuck to the cardboard like a note pad.
He then went to his favorite pub and when it was time to pay the bill for a couple of drinks, he'd pull out this stack and peel off enough to cover that round.
The crowd couldn't believe him when he said he just picked them up from the bank and that's the way they are handing them out now-a-days.
You could see a lot of heads turn on that one.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

nativewolf

Quote from: lxskllr on July 05, 2019, 03:10:06 PM
This one's amusing, but I'd chalk it up to ignorance as opposed to stupidity...

At a McDonalds once, I paid for part of my order with a $2 bill. The young girl behind the counter didn't know what to make of it, and called the manager over to ok it  :^D

Not sure what made me think of that, but I also thought it would be fun to get a couple stacks from the bank to troll counter help at stores. Maybe get a couple rolls of Susan Bs for added fun  :^D
I had a friend whose father was very upset with their landlord.  They had been moved by Corning and could not wait to go back to TX so bridge burning was not an issue.  He would get his whole paycheck cashed in dollar coins, Susan Bs or whatever they had.  He'd pay his rent in coins and throw in quarters and other stuff to make it confusing.
Liking Walnut

Magicman

Jim, several years ago our local bank made up stacks of $1.00 bills like that.  I always liked to get a "book" before we went on vacation.  Eyes would pop :o when I started peeling off dollar bills.

btulloh

Quote from: Magicman on July 05, 2019, 07:04:43 PM
Jim, several years ago our local bank made up stacks of $1.00 bills like that.  I always liked to get a "book" before we went on vacation.  Eyes would pop :o when I started peeling off dollar bills.
Lynn, I know that's not completely accurate.  
You would get the book of $100 bills.   8)
HM126

Magicman

Where did that DanG decimal come from??  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!