iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When is apple butter done

Started by Qweaver, November 10, 2018, 03:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We are doing our annual apple  butter cook today and we can not agree on when it is finished.  We definitely  got it under done last year.  When is it done?

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

thecfarm

Brenda says it can not come off the spoon. Has to stick to the spoon. Kinda almost like peanut butter,but not as thick. ???  ;D  Takes HOURS to make.
She has a Instant Pot,made some pumpkin butter in 3 minutes.  :o   Just like the apple butter she has made. Thick and good!!!
She will gladly show you how to make pumpkin butter in her Instant Pot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd0KRjgGq60
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

When it thickens to the consistency that you like it.  Once it's browned and broken down, adding more sugar speeds up the thickening. 
Say when

timberlinetree

Not sure what apple butter is, but sounds real good! musteat_1
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

47sawdust

Apple butter is real good.The church I belonged to as a kid has made apple butter for close to 100 years.Every October.It is an all day affair.Large copper kettles over an open fire.
 We just received this years allotment of 4 qts. from my sister who is still involved in the process.It is delicious on pancakes ,biscuits,pancakes,etc.
Come over for breakfast and I'll make some waffles.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Don P

I think it was old Kenny Runion who described it by saying if you put a dollop on your forehead your tongue will slap your brains out trying to get at it :D.

The one observation I can make is that the cooks often seem to become numb to the cinnamon while they are cooking and as it cooks down it can easily become overpowering, go easy on the spice.

Another good apple thing we've made is apple syrup. Slow cook cider until it makes a concentrated syrup, yummy on a pork roast.

timberlinetree

Waffles sound nice with this apple butter! It would be worth the 18hr drive! :D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Weekend_Sawyer

Uncle Harold was one of the most kind and gentle giant's I have ever known.
6'4 and in the neighborhood of 250lbs with a heart of gold.

He and his wife made the best apple butter I have ever had.
They made it in one of those huge copper pots with a wooden paddle.

I remember him saying about cutting up the apples.
"You cut em in half, then quarters then eights then snits."
"Ya cut em till ya can't give a snit."

Fond memories.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

kantuckid

The best apple butter uses apple cider into the mix! The store bought stuff must be made by water removal as it lacks the kettle cook down flavors. We always make it but were given some from Cracker Barrel, which isOK but we wish it was gone so we can get back on the homemade. Apple choice maters in a huge way aside from how thick it might be.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

sawguy21

Quote from: timberlinetree on November 12, 2018, 05:53:08 AM
Not sure what apple butter is, but sounds real good! musteat_1
I have never had it either but sounds interesting.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

james

with me its done when the jar is empty ;D
james

florida

Kenny Runion? Foxfires Kenny Runion?
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

randy d

Love good apple butter and my daughter in law makes the very best I have ever had. Randy

Don P

Quote from: florida on January 17, 2020, 07:47:12 PM
Kenny Runion? Foxfires Kenny Runion?
That's him, I remembered that quote from him when the topic of apple butter came up, it made me laugh the first time I read it.

Jeff

It's  done for me when i see mold in the jar and its then free game to throw out. Tammy says she loves it, me, nope. I dont understand if she loves it so much that when she gets it, she only eats about a third of a jar before its lost in the condiment forest until it goes to seed
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

47sawdust

Jeff,We have a refrigerator that looks like that at times.When neither one of us knows what it is,it's time to go.
When I ask if it's okay to throw this out,she who must be obeyed says,"No,I'll eat that later".
Gotta choose your battles....and I can never load the dishwasher right!
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

sawguy21

:D :D :D Must be an acquired taste like marrmite.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don P

Sounds like another grits thing :D

gspren

For many years our church made apple butter the old fashion way as a fund raiser, 200 +/- gallons per year. Taste will vary with the apples and the people adding sugar and cinnamon, even the weather as it's harder to boil away the excess moisture on a drizzly day and a windy day adds some wood ashes that I don't mind. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Raider Bill

I agree with James!!
My Dad made it. DELISH!
I bet it would make even grits taste good.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Nebraska

Fyi wild plums make a similar butter that is amazing.

curved-wood

After reading that post I decide to make a try on apple butter with our last apples. It is really good. My wife is surprised to see me cooking and getting recipes from a sawmill forum! Very special place indeed. Thanks you guys 

js2743

my great grandmother was as religious as anyone ever, she said it was done when it bubbled and made lil a$$holes. thats how everyone in the family makes it and its just right to spread on bread. some like it a lil thicker till you almost have to cut it.

doc henderson

she sounds a lot like my great grandmother, maybe we are related.  was her name great grandma Gretchen?   :)  @js2743 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!