iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My newest favorite tool!

Started by Jeff, January 04, 2020, 02:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This year I was planning another trip to the Magicman's but due to circumstances I can't be traveling, so I took the gas money I'd put away and spent it!  First thing  I did when I got home was dug out a socket and was able to reel off a rear 8n wheel lug that my air impact wouldn't touch. Then yesterday I was able to use it for real taking out and replacing a 36 year old fuel tank on Tammy's Blazer. We also took off the rear bumper to make easier access to the wiring and plumbing.  What a time and muscle saver!  O hope to get a 3/8s some day now.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Which means No Crawfish for You this year.   no_no
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dakota

Woa, better hang on tight to that thing.
Dave Rinker

doc henderson

i saw MMs  post first so i thought you were talking about the fork.  also one of my favorite tools.  when we travel with a trailer, i throw my 1/2 inch impact in so it can be like at the races if we have a blowout.  A Christmas story comes to mind.  i also have the 1/4 inch drive that I use all the time.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

I look old and tired in that photo. I must be old and tired.

WV Sawmiller

I don't care how old and tired you may be I am impressed. I borrowed an electric 1/2" impact wrench from my son a few years ago to disconnect an electric PTO on my mower. Could not get it off with a socket but was a piece of cake with his impact wrench. I went and bought one at HF the next time I was there and don't see how I ever got along without it to change tires on vehicles and trailers, blades and spindles on my mower, work on my tractor, etc. I mentioned it to a buddy and he got off the advantages of the battery type like you show for changing tires and such out away from power and such where they like to go flat. I know you will get many years of great service out of that one. Sorry to hear about the crawfish dinner though. :( :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bert

Please don't take this the wrong way but have the HF tools improved? I've always thought it was good place to get a throw away tool but not much else. Can't help but notice how many people use them these days and also the prices have doubled in the bast year or so. Is it a legit place to shop?
Saw you tomorrow!

WV Sawmiller

@Bert ,

I'm certainly not offended but thanks for your concern. I agree you are not likely to find top of the line tools at HF but I have been well satisfied with the price and quality of most of the tools I have gotten from them. I am not an expert tool user/maintainer and I find I can tear up an expensive tool just as easily as a cheap one. I have had great service out of the impact wrench I mentioned above. If I tear it up tomorrow or the next time I use it I have gotten my money's worth several times over. I have a heavy duty half inch drill I have used (and replaced once due to my mistake) I use with a heavy 1.5" tenon cutter to make my bench legs and have made plenty more than I paid for the tool. I really like their consumables like cheap work gloves (A White or Brown mule work glove does not last me any longer than a HF >$2 pair), shop brushes, moving blankets, etc.

Yes, there are better tools out there and if I ever need and get a proper shop set up with 220 power and need industrial quality tools I will likely get them somewhere else but for my hobby type work they are working well for me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Corley5

Love my cordless impact.  It's better than any air operated one I ever had. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Okefenokee_D

I was debating about the Earthquake XT powered impact, but now I am kind of leaning to the Milwaukee Impact...I saw the test done between them and the Earthquake was close, but the Milwaukee had better power, but then it is more. Decisions. 

Hope you enjoy it. I have the Earthquake XT air impact gun and it does good!

Okefenokee_D

Quote from: Bert on January 04, 2020, 06:15:11 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way but have the HF tools improved? I've always thought it was good place to get a throw away tool but not much else. Can't help but notice how many people use them these days and also the prices have doubled in the bast year or so. Is it a legit place to shop?
I recommend going on the Garage forum here 
The Garage Journal Board - Powered by vBulletin
They have a thread dedicated to the Good and Bad of Harbor Freight tools.

Don P

I was surprised, my partner's Kobalt battery impact has more oomph than my old B&D electric, which seemed to have more than air.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Okefenokee_D on January 04, 2020, 06:58:19 PM
Quote from: Bert on January 04, 2020, 06:15:11 PM
I recommend going on the Garage forum here
The Garage Journal Board - Powered by vBulletin
They have a thread dedicated to the Good and Bad of Harbor Freight tools.
Thx for the referral. I looked up their pass/fail thread for HF tools and the results I read were pretty much in line with my experiences. There were a significant number of fails but the majority I spot checked were primarily pass. I'd advise people to look and use common sense about any item they are considering. I do not have any complaints about their customer service for a couple of returns I have made. They do keep minimal staffing so don't expect a lot of knowledgeable user/expert recommendations from their clerks. About the best they can do, if/when you can find one, is help you find something. They are mostly shelf stockers. 
Howard Green

Jeff

I use a lot of their stuff because I'm using it for me and I can't afford the biggest and the baddest, and because most all of them do what I've needed the limited time I personally needed them to do it, they have work well for me with 3 exceptions. C clamps, vice grip type pliers and a brake flaring tool. All junk. The difference between 270 and 600 bucks between the earthquake and a Milwaukee quickly made up my mind.

btulloh

Nice report, Jeff and enjoy the new tool.  I look forward to adding a 1/2" impact to my stable pretty soon.

One thing I've noticed with HF in the last couple years:  They've started adding upper tiers to some of their product lines.  Now for battery tools, there's the original low-end tier, a middle tier, and a top tier.  The upper tier stuff is substantially better than what we all used to expect there, and there's a lot of support for that theory in most of the garage forums.  

Same in the socket wrench department.  I bought a couple socket wrenches in the last year or so to dedicate the functions away from the shop/garage area and they were pretty impressive.  

Just sayin' that HF is not necessarily what it used to be.  As always, shop wisely and do some research, but keep an open mind.

I'm probably going to follow Jeff's example on the HF 1/2" impact, for the same reasons he stated.  He just added one more good review.  I'll still be able to fall back on my 1/2" and 3/4 air impacts.

Congrats on a good purchase Jeff.  Enjoy your new tool.  I think Magicman can ship you some mudbugs since you won't be making the trip down there.

HM126

Southside

I bought a HF plate compactor last year, $300 ish, compared to $900 for other options, not a tool I use every day so I figured it would be OK - have to admit it has been a great tool. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Okefenokee_D

I always like to watch reviews on Youtube as well to see the product being used. But something could easily work for one person while the other person gets a lemon. The main thing is definitely the return and warranty and how that goes.

Corley5

I've been buying HF 1/2" drive socket ratchet sets and wrenches for equipment and truck cabs for years.  Not out as much when something gets lost and they hold up good.  As of yet my Milwaukee impact hasn't been able to break any of their impact sockets ;) ;D :)  I've tried 8) :) ;D  Snap On sockets wouldn't perform any better.  I buy HF's green handled screw driver sets.  They're great.  I don't feel bad misusing them ;) 8) 8).
  We bought their 2hp dust collector last summer.  We just assembled the blower and use it for sawdust on the firewood processer.  Just blow it outside.  I bought the 28 month replacement warranty.  I forget what it cost but it wasn't too much and for what we use the blower for I figure it's worth it.  They told me if I so much as feel like it isn't working right anytime during the 28 months to bring it back and they'll give me a new one.  Can't beat that.  It's performs flawlessly.  The collector hose in the accessory kit sucks.  It was packed too tight and kinked to the point it won't straighten out.    

Okefenokee_D

Quote from: Corley5 on January 04, 2020, 10:29:18 PM
 I've been buying HF 1/2" drive socket ratchet sets and wrenches for equipment and truck cabs for years.  Not out as much when something gets lost and they hold up good.  As of yet my Milwaukee impact hasn't been able to break any of their impact sockets ;) ;D :)  I've tried 8) :) ;D  Snap On sockets wouldn't perform any better.  I buy HF's green handled screw driver sets.  They're great.  I don't feel bad misusing them ;) 8) 8).
 We bought their 2hp dust collector last summer.  We just assembled the blower and use it for sawdust on the firewood processer.  Just blow it outside.  I bought the 28 month replacement warranty.  I forget what it cost but it wasn't too much and for what we use the blower for I figure it's worth it.  They told me if I so much as feel like it isn't working right anytime during the 28 months to bring it back and they'll give me a new one.  Can't beat that.  It's performs flawlessly.  The collector hose in the accessory kit sucks.  It was packed too tight and kinked to the point it won't straighten out.    
Before the end of the 28 month...send the old one back and get a new one..  smiley_devil_trident smiley_devil_trident

Corley5

I've got friends who winter in Ocala Fl. who have a HF pressure washer.  They use it during the winter and leave it in their shed when they leave in the spring.  In the fall when they get back they take it to the HF store, say it won't start and they're given a new one under the extended warranty.  They've been doing it for years. 

doc henderson

I agree with all.  If your livelihood or safety depended on it, I might go with another brand.  I swear some of the stuff looks just like other name brand items but diff. color plastic.  I am sure some intel theft going on, or they make them for the brand name co., and make also for HF.  I bought a hydraulic punch kit to put holes in sheet meatal.  works great and at 1/3 the price.  not something I need often but sure is cool to pull it out when I do.  I would not have justified buying it at the higher price.  I bought the 12 k winch as rated "best value" by 4 wheeler mag.  had a part go bad, and they gave me a whole new winch.  I bought the plate compacter as well.  I left it outside.  and next time I started it, it squealed like crazy.  the big bearings on the eccentric were ruined.  I think the seal was defective.  2 bearings, the size of your hand and a casting.  tried to order parts, the bigger side was 3 bucks, the smaller casting and bearing was 2 bucks.  but it would take 6 weeks as they came from overseas.  I called every two weeks, and the manager told me to bring it in so he could look at it.  when I got there, they just loaded a new machine in the back of my truck.  2 weeks later the 2 bearings, castings and seals arrived.  never had the trouble with the new one, and now have a new bearing set if I do.  I buy dead blow hammers there, and not afraid to loan those tools as well.  I bought an electric over hydraulic rebar cutter, and have used it 20 years.  can drop it in a tight spot, and just pull the trigger.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Corley5

The HF stuff is probably made in the same factory as the Milwaukee stuff.

gspren

Several years ago I bought a HF 4.5" disc grinder to complement the Makita grinder I had, keep wire brush on one and grinding disk on other. Recently the Makita died after 15+ years but I'll replace it with another HF because it's "good enough" for my needs.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Bert

I'm pretty well sold based on the comments. I always steered clear of them but I'm going to give it a shot for the one off things you needed here and there. Right now I need some impact driver adapters, a heat gun and overhaul of the screwdriver selection. I used to be well stocked on tools but sadly many have been lost and borrowed. I was a big craftsman fan but the death of sears left a hole. Lowe's carries them now but not to the extent Sears used to. I need another convenient source and there is a HF nearby.
Saw you tomorrow!

Jeff

I heard a bunchbof lowes stores were closing up.

Corley5

It's been rumored that the Petoskey Lowes was closing and a Target was going in.  That rumor has been on going for several years. 

WV Sawmiller

I bought a HF 5 speed drill press several weeks ago, went to assemble it and found the plastic switch was broken so took it back and they exchanged with no issues. I put it together and never used it till today and it worked great on my school bus/deer blind/outhouse (Woodshed?) project and it worked like a champ so far. I was drilling pilot holes in 3/4" one LE ash siding. It works real good when drilling in the same spot on standard stock. I marked a 4' sticker and would lay it on the squared/edged side of my siding and drill at my desired marks. Using my hand drill I'd have broken at least a couple of 1/8" bits but broke none with the drill press. 

I was cutting the 4' siding with my RAS which worked good too. Just measured 48" and nailed a stop and slid my wood to the mark, cut and repeat.
Howard Green

Okefenokee_D

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 05, 2020, 08:25:33 PM
  I bought a HF 5 speed drill press several weeks ago, went to assemble it and found the plastic switch was broken so took it back and they exchanged with no issues. I put it together and never used it till today and it worked great on my school bus/deer blind/outhouse (Woodshed?) project and it worked like a champ so far. I was drilling pilot holes in 3/4" one LE ash siding. It works real good when drilling in the same spot on standard stock. I marked a 4' sticker and would lay it on the squared/edged side of my siding and drill at my desired marks. Using my hand drill I'd have broken at least a couple of 1/8" bits but broke none with the drill press.

I was cutting the 4' siding with my RAS which worked good too. Just measured 48" and nailed a stop and slid my wood to the mark, cut and repeat.
Saw reviews that said it isnt good for metal though.

WV Sawmiller

Well, time will tell. I am not a metal worker and very seldom have to drill into it so should not be much of an issue for me.

I always wonder about those people writing reviews whether on a drill press or sawmill. I suspect many are using dull bits and blades and such or wrong bit, blade, etc for the job then miraculously when it does not do exactly what they want or they find it is harder work than they expected they go write a review. Sort of like people writing hotel reviews complaining because their $50 room did not have a jacuzzi bath tub or 5 star service. JMHO.
Howard Green

gspren

I am/was a metal worker and often the problem wood workers have when drilling steel is that they don't drop the RPMs. Lower speed, sharp drill, and steady pressure and the HF drills are OK for angle iron, etc, drilling.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

hedgerow

I have a 1/2 Dewalt 18 volt impact I have had for eight years. The only reason I bought Dewalt at the time was I had many of 18 volt Dewalt tools and batteries. Its held up well and has changed and rotated a bunch of tires in the shop and on the road. HF tools I do own some and have had good luck with them. One of the ones that impressed me were some metric one inch drive sockets I bought on a Sunday because I needed to change a tire on a newer JD tractor that had metric bolts and I didn't have any one inch drive metric sockets. I have had them probably 15 years and they have held up well. I have had great luck with there small engines and have them on a bunch of things around the farm. 

doc henderson

ok so here is my HF rebar cutter and a 2 foot ruler I laser engraved after the center the pith thread.  of course one with chickens instead of number for folks who think in terms of chickens @Southside .  the ruler turned out handy for cutting 18 inch pins from 3/8th inch rebar.  of course after the first one, you can use it.  but also i space the pins in the wall every 2 feet, and put them 2 inches lower than the top of the slab!  and that is the width of the ruler.  made it easy for my son to help without lots of dad guidance ect.  concrete poured today, prep yesterday.

Thank You Sponsors!