iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you protect your smart phone from damage?

Started by alan gage, January 09, 2020, 04:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan gage

I still use a flip phone but I can see the writing on the wall that soon I'll be using a smart phone. I'm curious how you guys keep them accessible yet protected on a daily basis.

My flip phone lives in my left front pocket all day long. Doesn't seem to matter how hot and sweaty I get. Doesn't seem to matter how much pressure I put on it when lifting, pulling, or leaning over something. I'm afraid that won't be the case with a smart phone. So how do you do it?

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

reride82

Otter box or something similar and a screen protector. Save yourself some money and buy online, there is a large markup for accessories through the store, unless they are running a special.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Crusarius

Holster on my belt. Kind of a pain initially. But after I got used to it it has been great. only bummer is putting seat belt on in the truck. The seatbelt sits right there.

A-z farmer

Life proof case on on I phone 6+ going on 5 years just works even after being dropped in bucket of oil .we have them on our I pads too expensive but they work.

sawguy21

Otter box has served me well. I tried a holster as well but kept dropping it getting in and out of the truck and it was uncomfortable under the seat belt.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

scsmith42

I have a belt pouch and a Spigen case for my Galaxy Note 8.  Works well.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DPatton

Otter Box works well but is a bit bulky, LifeProof case is more expensive but still allows me to keep my IPhone 6s in my jeans pliers pocket. I have drown it duck hunting numerous times and even washed it a time or two without a problem.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Belt holster in the Summer.  In the Winter I use the bib pocket.  The phone has a snap on protective case but I do not remember the brand.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

I went with a Keyocera Duraforce Pro model.  The reviews say it's not the fastest one out there, but I have never noticed anything slow about it.  What it is from the factory is waterproof, shock proof, dust proof, etc to Mil Spec levels.  I put an additional glass protector on it and keep it in a 2 piece slide out hard case.  Been 3 or 4 years that way, never broken the screen or had an issue with it.  The touch screen now has worn out so I picked up another one the other day.  Could not tell you how many times I have dropped it, kicked it, smacked it, etc - tough as nails.  Best part was the day I got out of the skidder and the phone fell off my hip and landed smack into a 4" deep mud puddle.  I simply picked it up, looked for a non muddy puddle and proceeded to wash it off with a big grin on my face.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

Buy a phone that's built to take some punishment?

https://www.catphones.com/en-us/cat-s41-smartphone/

There are various "rugged" phones. They might not have the top performance. fanciest camera, highest res screen etc. But instead you pay for something you can drop 6 ft onto concrete, then have it bounce into a pond, and still work after you fish it out.  ;D 

Cat have a new model, which they list on the European site, but not on the US yet. It's a bit thinner / higher spec, but still tough.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Nebraska

My best reply is poorly.....I once had a millspec Casio phone fall out of my pocket while mowing with the tractor the failure was spectacular when bush hog blade hit it.  I realized it was gone about 200 feet later. I sent the remnants in to the insurance carrier as they asked for the old phone. There have been others, FWIW  buckets of antiseptic solution are hard on phones as well.

Corley5

I've got a Kyocera Duraforce with the extra glass too.  Been great, no issues.  I pocket carry it in cold weather and use a Sneaky Pete belt pouch when it's warm.  Battery is getting a bit weak now.  The family has Motorolas which are soft.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

RPF2509

Otter box and screen protector - it adds a bit of bulk but I always wear shirts with a breast pocket and it fits in there snug (don't have a big screen), plus if it does fall out its readily noticeable.  Three years now and the phone still looks like new when I occasionally take it out of the case to clean it.   Be sure to put it in the left pocket if you're shooting a long gun.  Tried the holster on the hip but it kept getting in the way and I'd rather have my Leatherman living in that space to be readily accessible.

Stephen1

Lifeproof case, Gauranteed for Life, or until you change type of phone. I am on my 4th case with the 2nd Iphone 6 in 5 years. The screen eventually gets scratched on the
case and they replace it for me, I pay $6 for the shipping of the replacement case.  8)
I have dropped it, been in the water, run it over with my truck. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Brad_bb

I have a lifeproof case.  I've used them for about 4-5 years.  They last about a year.  The softgrip start coming off at about 6 months and starts looking bad in about a year.  Just wear from going in and out of my pocket.  @Stephen1   I didn't know they'd replace them?!  I'm going to have to look into that.  I'd just been buying a new about once a year.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

kantuckid

I went from flip phone to my wifes old smartphone a couple months back. It was cheaper with service provider, Verizon than stay on flipper! I too have a lifeproof case off of ebay it was old stock as they don't make a model for this phone now. I paid new, old stock about $10. It keeps my phone from an automatic charge on my new Lincoln car as the case prevents the juice from getting through. It has paint overspray on it now that I need to get off . If you can't tell I don't get real "into smartphones" , but I do take it to the woods, mill and work shop or when I travel for safety. We are forced into a landline here cause the tele co-op says so if you get their web service. Yes it rings often and a serious waste of energy to answer politics, car warranties, credit card scams, and medicare calls.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Stephen1

Last year this time, I needed a new phone or battery, the new plan was 20$ cheaper and included a new phone. The same phone 8), then I realised I was able to keep replacing the $75 case for the $6  shipping cost ;D.
In less than 1 year the new phone has a bad battery, Apple is paying all the shipping and suppling the box, and I get a new battery. I also ordered another  new case.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: alan gage on January 09, 2020, 04:25:53 PMI still use a flip phone but I can see the writing on the wall that soon I'll be using a smart phone.

alan gage, don't leave the fold!  Stay on Team Flip Phone!  I keep telling people they are making a comeback (I have no data on that, but it sounds good to me:D).

I listen to how much folks pay to upgrade phones, or they have some type of payment plan, etc.  I will keep my flipper, my $30 a month bill, and take forever to send a text, I'm good with that! I don't need it for anything but calls and text or textmail's as I call em!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Brad_bb

I tried to hold out on a flip phone as long as I could.  I figured I don't need anything but the phone function.  Then a guy was showing me all you could do and I was convinced and got my first (iphone 4).  Now I'm on an iphone 8. 

Here are some of the benefits of switching to the dark side:
1. maps/directions: super easy to find the address and guide you there.  When you come upon a backup on the highway or in town, you can easily and quickly find an alternate route around.  You can look up any place on the fly.  If you're driving and not sure if you're going to get some place before they close, you can quickly see their hours on google maps, or call them.  If you want to get carry out on your way home, you can look them up and call ahead.

2. You can look at the Forestry forum or any website on your phone.  This is good when you are sitting and killing time, like tires being installed on your truck, or waiting to see the doctor, or in the airport, or any any of a million times you have to wait. It also lets you look at stuff on vacation when you don't have a computer with you.

3. Texting.  I resisted texting for so long, but found that it's really useful.  You may not want to bother someone with a phone call or get tied up talking to someone for too long, so you just text them the info they wanted, or the question you have.  Easy.  It's easier to text someone your contact info and visa versa.  You don't have to type it in your phone, they text it to you and you save it as a contact , done!  Or send someone elses contact  info that is on your phone to someone else. 2 seconds, done!

5.  A calculator on your phone to calculate board feet, log volume, algebra, or trigonometry...

6. Weather.  I use the default weather app, and I also have accu weather.  Very useful.

7.  Notes: You can keep notes or lists on your phone.  I keep my To Do tasks, grocery list, comedy bits I write, favorite songs list when I hear one on the radio I want to download later.

8.  This is a big one, and a new one I discovered for iphone - Reminder.  You can talk into the iphone and tell it to remind you to do whatever on whatever day or time you specify.  So when you think of something you need to do, set a reminder and your phone will remind you.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Raider Bill

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on January 11, 2020, 01:16:18 PM
Quote from: alan gage on January 09, 2020, 04:25:53 PMI still use a flip phone but I can see the writing on the wall that soon I'll be using a smart phone.

alan gage, don't leave the fold!  Stay on Team Flip Phone!  I keep telling people they are making a comeback (I have no data on that, but it sounds good to me:D).

I listen to how much folks pay to upgrade phones, or they have some type of payment plan, etc.  I will keep my flipper, my $30 a month bill, and take forever to send a text, I'm good with that! I don't need it for anything but calls and text or textmail's as I call em!
If you buy at your provider and make payments on the newest models they gouge you.
We buy ours online way cheaper.
Just bought Moto G7 powers for $125 ea.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SawyerTed

I've used Otterbox, Lifeproof and Pelican protective cases both for personal phones and employer provided phones prior to retiring.  Two Otterbox cases were okay but let too much dust/trash into the case.  The Lifeproof was just okay, the screen cover scratched easily.  The Pelican case was $23 online and has out preformed the other two.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

sawguy21

That is my one complaint with the Otterbox, fortunately it is relatively easy to remove and clean.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

coalsmok

I use an otter box defender and then have a glass screen protector put on and the otter box screen protector removed from the case. The case isn't waterproof anyway and the glass protector does a better job protecting the screen. 
 I carry my phone in my chest pocket. Best I have come up with so far. The holsters never worked for me. 

thecfarm

Brad is right. My wife's phone does all that. 
You guys don't want to know about my trac phone.  :D I only use my phone so the wife can find me when I am in the woods. She calls me and tells me we have company.  ::)  Most of my friends will just start walking out in the woods and listen for the chainsaw or the tractor and come find me. Sometimes they have to walk a ways to find me.
Phone was really bought so if I get hurt, I can call her.
I just bought another phone,$14.99 and I had to buy a 60 minute card to get it at that price. I just put it away, in case I broke the one I have. Last one the battery got real warm and would not charge.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!