iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your Barber?

Started by Magicman, January 09, 2020, 05:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

In 1974 I was about to head to the airport to catch a plane to Chicago to attend a training school when PatD noticed that I needed a haircut.  There was no time to get one now so she said "sit down".  I have not had a "Barber Shop" haircut since.  

"Homemade haircuts" was my normal growing up because my Dad did the duty.  Pictured above are his barbering tools.

OK, so who cuts your hair??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

My Sisters.  Lynda for years, now Jill. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

randy d

My wife of 47 years has cut my hair for the last 20 years there is getting a lot less to cut. Randy

lxskllr

I haven't had a haircut in ~25 years. It breaks off and/or falls out.

btulloh

HM126

dgdrls

My Mum when I was young.

Mrs D. cut it once and said "go get it done"

I have a younger lad cutting it now and I like his work

D

doc henderson

Frank.  he lowered his prices to get more business.  was 20 now 15 bucks.  he is in his 70s.  old military guy who speaks many languages.  one in front of young ladies like my daughter, a different one for young men (boys) to make them smile but not embarrassed.  Then full bore man to man.  i still pay him 20 + 5 dollar tip.  my mom went to beauty school and cut my hair till I was 4.  then she thought my dad should take me with him to the barber.  i got a flat top, my mom cried and my dad was in trouble for some reason.  it was her idea.   ::) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

that is smart outside!  just bag the hair up with the grass! :D 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

We have a real old time barber shop in town run by a young fellow and his trainee. They have hunting and car magazines as well as friendly conversation on just about anything. No phone to interrupt. A musket hangs on the wall. No reservations it's first come first serve pretty much a social event.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

hacknchop

My wife Rhonda cuts it when she gets a chance.been cutting my hair for 40 yrs still does a good job, if you don't believe me just ask her.
Often wrong never indoubt

Logger RK

My Bride Terri's been cutting mine 40 years now. But not as often as before. 

breederman

I live with my barber. She had a shop years before I met her. She cuts mine and a couple of our friends. 
Together we got this !

51cub

I bought a set of $14 clippers at the drug store about 18 years ago and been doing it myself since. No  guard, just run it around my head a few times til I'm pretty sure I got it all. Between cataracts and the gray color, it's harder to see now when I get it down to stubble length
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

scsmith42

True Story.,..

Shortly after the Doc and I moved in together here in NC in early 2000, a town hall meeting was announced.  Part of the agenda for this meeting was so that the Area President could introduce me to all of the local employees as the incoming Area VP of Engineering and Operations.  I'd  moved here at the end of 1999 and then Laureen joined me in early 2000 after she completed her internship at Oklahoma State University.  I'd been totally focused on challenges within the E&O org and had not met many employees outside of my department.

The night before the Town Hall I realized that my hair was a bit shaggy and it would be a good idea for me to get it trimmed.  Since it was already evening all the local shops were closed, so I asked Laureen to give me a trim.

She was studying her veterinary texts that evening because the next day she would be performing her first amputation as lead surgeon.  An hour goes by with me continuing to bug her; she was totally engrossed in her manuals.

Finally she put her books down, joins me in the bathroom, picks up the clippers, twists the adjustment and proceeds to make the first run from my neck up to the top of my head, right behind my right ear.  Then I hear an "oh ADMIN EDIT (I have used an attempt to mimic prohibited language here thinking I could defeat the Forum family friendly language rules and got caught.  I should and do know better) from her, and noticed a horrified look on her face as I'm looking at her in the mirror.

Mind you, I can't see where she trimmed, but the horrified look on her face prompted me to say "you didn't....!  To which she responded "oh ADMIN EDIT ( For the second time, I have used an attempt to mimic prohibited language here thinking I could defeat the Forum family friendly language rules and got caught.  I should and do know better) again.  And I knew that it wasn't good.

A few minutes before my haircut she had been studying for a surgery.  Preoccupied with her upcoming surgery; out of habit she put the clippers on the "surgical shave" setting and then cut a stripe down to the skin - from my neck up to the top of my head.  

Now this isn't good..... the next day I'm scheduled to be introduced to several hundred local employees at the town hall.  But her proposed solution was even worse....

Honey, let me put some stitches in it, she stated!  That way I'd have an excuse as to why there was a bald stripe on my head.  "You gotta be kidding!" I replied.  You want to cut my head open and then sew it up just so I can cover up your mistake?? Uh, no....  She didn't like my idea of shaving my head so the next day I showed up for the meeting with a strip on the back side of my head.

Needless to say, the Town Hall was memorable....

That's the last time that she cut my hair too....
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Pine Ridge

3/8 ths guard on a set of clippers, i am my own barber, been doing it myself for several years .
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

WV Sawmiller

Tony is my barber. Still $8. He lost the last election for county commissioner but I suspect he will run again. He just started hunting out west so now he talks about hunting elk and mule deer. I think he got a muley last time but don't know that he's gotten an elk yet. I often run a set of clippers over my beard and take it down to about 3/8". I am not sure I would like the idea of my wife working around my throat with sharp instruments. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jmouton

diane does mine, its easy, razor as close as she can to my head takes like 3 minutes , so much easier to be bald ,,, not by choice though  oh well 
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

trapper

Sounds like i am in with the majority here.  My wife does mine. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Tom the Sawyer

Mom did mine until I left home.  Had one barber for about 30 years, until he had a stroke and retired.  Bounced around for a year or so, trying to find someone who could do a decent, consistent job.  Finally found a young (30) guy who is quite good, been going there over a year.  $15 for seniors, + $5 tip.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Corley5

Leo Harris cut mine when I was a kid.  He was known to us kids as Leo the Lawnmower ;D 8)  During the school year it was cut the way Mom wanted.  When summer started Dad took me for a hair cut.  Leo retired and a classmates mother who had a salon in town cut my hair for a while.  She was married to Leo's nephew.  Larry, another of Leo's nephews had a shop in town for a while and cut my hair.  At some point in my high school career Larry left for Texas and I didn't think it was right to go to a beauty shop for a haircut so I started going to Mike and Dave in Indian River, the next town north.  They had a second shop here in Wolverine for a while.  I got a hair cut there once.  They were only open here certain days and it wasn't when I wanted/needed a haircut.  They've cut my hair ever since.  No one else has.  Mike just completely retired before Christmas.  He was part time the last year or more and they cut their Saturday hours and are closing earlier.  Dave says he's going to keep working.  They've cut the boy's hair too.  I've got another shop in mind but won't go there until I have to.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Texas Ranger

Had a native American barber for years, now an ex Marine or his Hispanic partner, old time barber shop, old guys and a lot of bull to go around.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Nebraska

Small town old fashioned barber shop, actually visited  Dan the barber this morning when I stuck my head in the door he was reading the paper sitting the chair waiting for the next haircut so I took advantage   of the opening.

Bruno of NH

Sheila has done mine for 22 years with a set of clippers .
Right down to the stubble.
I'm getting thin on top :D
We cut outside when it's nice.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

Wife cuts my hair. Put the 1/8 guard on and cut away. I start it, and she finishes it.
Bought one pair of clipper, $30-40, a good pair, we thought, ::) they was on their way out after about 3-4 years. Bought another pair, from a junkie store, might of paid $10 for them and 20 years later, we are still using them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!