iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another sad day on the farm

Started by DbltreeBelgians, January 18, 2020, 11:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DbltreeBelgians

Jill found Jake down in the barn tonight when she went out to do chores. Called the vet to get some assistance and we had 8 people trying to get him up but the poor boy just didn't have the strength to get up. Vet checked his heart rate and said it was cranking @ 100 just laying there. Should be around 30 which told us he was hurting inside. I had to make one of the hardest decisions a person makes but I couldn't stand to see my boy suffer. Pretty much broke my heart but I know he's not in pain anymore and he's not lonely anymore and back with his buddy Jed that we lost in June. They both gave us so much joy over the years working on the farm and showing at the county fair. They both will be sadly missed.
RIP Jake   :'(

<

<

Brent

doc henderson

I am sure they were part of the family.  I am sorry for your loss and the pain you are feeling.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Dbltree - He sure was one good looking horse.  I am terribly sorry to hear that you lost him.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

I'm sorry for your loss.  Our animals do become like family and are a big part our lives. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

olcowhand

Brent,
As someone who has also lost horses, I feel your pain. My condolences.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Magicman

Such sad news Brent.  I know that you and Jill were expecting it, but not ready for it.  Never ready because there is never the right time.  Remember the Joy.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

This I know hurts and saddens the family.  I am sorry for your loss of such a long time friend.

WDH

Oh no!  Such a sad loss.  My heart goes out to you and your family.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

Sorry for your loss.
My heart is sad for you and your wife.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

I could not look at that second picture long. Sad to hear.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

As I sit here with a dog at my feet and one by my side I know how much an animal can mean. So sorry for your loss.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

barbender

Aw man, losing animals is so hard. Sorry for your loss😕
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

I've lost a few horses (and special cows) and know how it feels. Though they may not live at your side like a dog they are every bit a piece of you and your family. It's a sad day for sure.

WV Sawmiller

Sorry for your loss. We've got one old mule and one older half Belgian half Tennessee walking horse. Just hay burners but we will sure miss them when they are gone. The first thing my 3 y/o grandson wants to do every day when he is visiting is to go help Grandpa feed them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

Sorry, it really sucks been there too many times.

Brad_bb

Real sorry to hear that.  Very painful. I hate to think of the day I'll have to do that.  I'll be bawling my eyes out.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

DbltreeBelgians

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I can say I definitely shed a few tears. I always thought big boys don't cry but it hit me pretty hard. Guess it just shows we're human and have feelings and heart.
Here's a few more picks of my boy. First one is the first day he was on the farm after I bought him at the Topeka Draft Horse Sale. Jed is on the left and Jake on the right.

And here's a picture of Jill taking Jake for a joy ride in the pasture.

Brent

DPatton

They were certainly beautiful creatures, sorry for your loss.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Bandmill Bandit

The toughest thing in the life of a farmer of any kind is the moment of standing/kneeling in a barn stall beside a long time loyal companion and friend knowing you either call the vet to do the deed or you walk the 100 ish yards to the house to get the Rifle. Very few understand just how hard that is and some cant even comprehend how urgent the motivation to do it can be.

I feel your pain! I have been there too often but to ignore that reality of the farm life is irresponsible and cruel. 

I stand in silence with you and remember the days I had to do the same. It is what a good 2 legged friend does for a good 4 legged friend whne the time comes!
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Firewoodjoe

Sorry to hear that. We had a horse go down years ago. Would lay in his belly all comfy looking and ate hay grain everything just like normal. But would not stand. We used hoist to get him up and his legs just wouldn't work. It always sucks when it's there time. 

dgdrls

So very sorry Brent.
A beautiful team.

scsmith42

Gorgeous horses!

There is just something about a Belgian.  All of the ones that we've had have been very gentle and intelligent.

My heart goes out to you.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

terrifictimbersllc

Sorry to hear, my sympathy to you.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Tom King

So sorry for the loss of your friend!!

We've been here for 40 years, with horses, dogs, and cats.  We have quite a graveyard.

I don't own an excavator, and used to have to go rent one for the job.  We do have a strong front end loader.

I've found the process much easier, and gets it over with so much quicker, to already have holes dug.  The big ones have ramps out, so deer, or small critters, can get out if they fall in.  We don't need one every year, or few, so when I rent an excavator for other things, I clean the holes out again.

I buy short towing, or lifting straps, and when the time is near for a horse, they wear one around their girth, before they go down.

Sorry if it seems so graphic, but it really does ease the process, if you have a strong front end loader.

moodnacreek

The honest love and the will to work seems unequaled in the work horse. Why do you have to pay the price?

Thank You Sponsors!