iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HOT Today

Started by Magicman, May 24, 2010, 07:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I still remember that it was 55° when we left Burch Run, Mi.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peder McElroy

Perfect here on the Coast of Central California about 77 and sunny.

drobertson

Yep, no doubt about it, when I started cutting at the end of 04' the flooring mill foreman, who we go to church with said, "get ready, it's always hot, or always cold in the sawmill industry" and I can testify, he is correct.  I built my shed to block the winter wind in Feb, and did not think about the toaster oven effect during the summer months, it is warm, Still love it, early mornings and thank God for lights in the evening.  What  blessing to have fun while making a living. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Okrafarmer

In Maine, they told us that a (production) sawmill was the hottest place in the summer, and the coldest place to work in the winter.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

We finally got our break this afternoon.  It is 72° and raining now.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 18, 2012, 04:22:50 PM
In Maine, they told us that a (production) sawmill was the hottest place in the summer, and the coldest place to work in the winter.

For the sawyer of today, he sits in a climate controlled booth with computer assist and TV monitors. A lot of the times his hands are not even at any controls. I saw one modern mill and the guy had his feet up, laid back in an easy chair or sorts with his head cradled in his hands behind his head, while looking at screens.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 18, 2012, 05:49:32 PM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 18, 2012, 04:22:50 PM

For the sawyer of today, he sits in a climate controlled booth with computer assist and TV monitors. A lot of the times his hands are not even at any controls. I saw one modern mill and the guy had his feet up, laid back in an easy chair or sorts with his head cradled in his hands behind his head, while looking at screens.

Yeah, that's him, not the guys running around doing what they're told. But anyway, they meant "back in the day" in particular.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

There is a hardwood mill about 50 miles from here that shuts down in winter about Christmas. I don't think those fellas were cold much because every piece of that heavy hardwood was stacked and stickered all day long. All the figured maple was sorted for eye and curl. This was the cream of the sawmill, as most of the wood was very cheap for the mill coming off public land. Without a license on crown, they would never have enough supply to keep the mill running. Wood from private woodlots was just a trickle because they were not paying much more than pulp price for logs. I think they sawed mostly ties, but also whatever Select or better they could get out of it. I'm pretty sure some of the wood is bought and kilned by the local broker. When you talk to some of the guys around the lumber yard, they can't tell you much because they are not on that end of it. They most often don't even know the local mills.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

96° today and no shade whatever for my two off bearers.  My umbrella and "pith helmet" saved me, but by the late afternoon, those two guys were hurting.  I saw that one was flushed and I quickly got him to the water cask for a head wetting.  He drank water and later a 12 oz Gatorade which immediately came back up.  More water and he seemed OK.  By then the other was up-chucking.  We will have to quit sooner tomorrow.

clww

They need to pace themselves. Heat exhaustion (or worse) is no joke. It was 93 here at The Beach today, and I drank four 32 ounce Gatorades, two 16 ounce glasses of sweet tea, and at least half a gallon of water.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Chuck White

Hot and Humid here today 85° and I don't know what the humidity was!

I was out on a sawjob early this morning and at lunch time I went home (ate lunch in the truck) and got my operators seat and umbrella, so after that, I was good!

The heat didn't seem to bother the two "adult" off-bearers much, but my 5-gallon water jug only had about a gallon in it when I got home at the end of the day!  Which is great!

I really push the water when I'm on a saw-job!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

I went out this morning and bought a 42" drum fan to use at the sawmill  :).  95 degrees today. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

StimW

One of my best heat recoveries was after a day of offshore fishing on a hot day I got home and after cleaning fish and the boat I was half past dead!
I ate a large slice of cold watermelon with salt and it turned me around to feeling great!
You might try packing some iced fresh fruit like water/cantaloupe/honey dew/melon to bring out when it gets rough.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 17, 2014, 08:44:06 PM
I went out this morning and bought a 42" drum fan to use at the sawmill  :).  95 degrees today.

I thought you were a Bass Fan....not a Drum Fan. :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tcg

Hot here today as well high of 87. I mowed lawns till 3 PM.
Yeah I know mowing lawns has nothing to do with sawing and milling.
But it helps me feed my wood milling and woodworking habit.
Next purchase a Logrite 60" cant hook.

TG

Delawhere Jack

Heading out for a two day job in Chincoteague VA tomorrow. Forecast is for upper 80's to 90 degrees, humidity off the scale. Dreading the though of it.......  :-\

Magicman

I am not looking forward to the heat today.  We are actually set up in a graveled parking lot, so no shade.   :-\

WDH

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 17, 2014, 09:07:21 PM
Quote from: WDH on June 17, 2014, 08:44:06 PM

I thought you were a Bass Fan....not a Drum Fan. :o

I went out this morning and bought a 42" drum barrel fan to use at the sawmill  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I would not want to be off bearing in them temps. I should say I could not do it. The heat bothers me. And that is here in Maine.  ::) I work out in the sun,a field at times,but it's at a slow pace. Lots of breaks,lots of fluid.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gadrock

Down South we have been under a series of VERY high humidity. In a few weeks as we become acclimated to the higher heat we will appreciate it only being 92 deg etc.

As for me I am having a particularly difficult time this year getting used to this stuff. Monday I worked too hard and got too hot, yesterday I restricted myself, but today it will be out in the heat again.

Like MM says, out in a parking lot offers little shade.

Carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

thecfarm

We drove by the bank building in town,92°. I might of had 82,with the wind blowing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OneWithWood

Yesterday it was 92°F with very high humidity.  I played host to a group of middle and high school teachers taking part in the Natural Resources Teacher Institute put on through PLT.  Fortunately there was a steady breeze and we stayed in the shade, moving slow as we toured the woods.
Repeat of temp and humidity today with much less breeze.  I will be working in the saw barn addition, laying decking on the loft.  It will be interesting to see how much I get done and how long I last.  Definitely will be drinking a lot of water.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Cedarman

I know it is getting hot when the guys get out the pedestal fans.  Nice breeze in the mill.  When I built it in 92, I had 6" of insulation put over the tin in the ceiling.  This makes a huge difference in the mill.  Usually a breeze flowing through the mill too.  I am usually the yard guy.  No shade there.  I take to the house and drink plenty.  Don't move too fast either.   Have gotten hot a few times, but never puky hot.  I like heat better than real cold. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

mesquite buckeye

Big break in the heat today. Coolest day in a month. 98° or so they say. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Hilltop366

I don't envy you guys in the heat one bit, our forecast for the next 5 days is 63° to 72°,  just right!

Thank You Sponsors!