iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw races

Started by Sawyerfortyish, June 28, 2002, 07:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evgenii.B and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Sawyerfortyish

Any body race saws ? Last year I got drafted out of the grandstand at the local fair for the log rolling contest and won.That got me hooked this year im going all out I have an 084 with 404 pitch chain and 36" bar if I put on a smaller bar should I stay with 404 chain or go with 3/8? I was thinking about an 18 " bar and maybe trying 404 skip chain anybody have any thoughts on this. I'm also looking for a 064 I have 2-066 saws but they are just above the class that the 064 is in.Can anyone tell me is the 044 and the new 440 the same saw and would that fall into the 3.5to 4.0 class

sawman

Get a Dolmar PS7900. That 79cc saw has kicked butt in the 80-100cc class.
Brute torque unlike any saw I've ever run.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Gordon

What kind of rpm do those dolmars turn? I've never run one. Torque is great but without rpm it's nothing. So to be kicking butt it must have both.

Gordon

Jake

For racing you want a narrow kerf, so 3/8 50 gauge would be best.Look for a square ground chisel chain for faster time. hope this helps, Jake

sawman

RPM is 13.5K stock. Can be cranked to 17K.
There is a balance between rpm, torque, displacement, and bar& chain.
For example, Husky, and Stihl have good saws that run 500-1,000 rpm faster, same size b&c, basically same displacement. But don't out cut most  Dolmars.
Main difference is cylinder & piston design.

As far as racing goes, Use Oregon's counter vibe style, less cutter heel drag, 3/8", .050 guage for narrow kerf, speed tip/sprocket nose bar that's just long enough to have the tip clear, and modified square ground chisel chain.

There is alot more, but can't give all my secrets away.

Have safe fun.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
keep up this fine talk about dolmars and ya might have a few orders here sawman ;)as for RPM Vs torque most saws cut at about 6000-9000 rpm so speed is not a big factor, torque is king if ya after useable power .bottom line is ya should be able to push ya saw with out it dropping it's revs ,i know my 120Si dolmar with a 18 inch bar standard chain would eat any of my work mates huskys :o  etc etc .as for race saws many years ago i saw in a paper a drag saw made with a small block chev  ,2 man setup .anyone see or heard  or it??catch ya
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Sawyerfortyish

I once seen a saw made from an Indian moter cycle engine. Made a lot of noise and flames out of the exaust and wow could it cut!
 thanks Jake i'm finding out that the 3/8 cuts faster we will be sawing 8x8 white pine. I still have about a month to play around with saws and bar and chain  combinations . As for the Dolmars Iv'e never seen one run or even know where to find them local . Iv'e always been a Sthil man and when it comes to getting a part there right there never wanted any other makes didn't want to go more than one place for parts

Gordon

Well I just was taking a look through the Forum links and found this
http://www.hotsaw.com/Page_1x.html

Seems the seven time world champ runs a husky. ;D Well a husky motercycle engine.

Gordon

Kevin

Jeff has allowed me to post this link to another forum that relates to hotsaws.

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1926

Tom

Chainsaw races reminded me of this new sport. I know what you guys are talking about but, with a twist like this link, Chainsaw races could be made a lot more interesting.  :D

http://www.monashee.com/recreation/expo.html

Paul_H

Hey Tom,I've seen those on TV before.They really rip.I have a Skilsaw that wants to do that,if I don't let it stop before setting it down.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Sawyerfortyish

??? Belt sander races  ::)  8)People have tooo much time on there hands  ;) :D :D

Jeff

QuoteHey Tom,I've seen those on TV before.They really rip.I have a Skilsaw that wants to do that,if I don't let it stop before setting it down.

Paul! get that DanG gaurd fixed before we change yer user name to stubby!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

JD_Kid

Hi ya
good link on the belt sanders ,many moons ago we got the schools beltsander and all the flexes we could find and let it race across the netball court  8)needless to say this was not a condoned (?) use of the sander   :D
catch ya
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

johncinquo

Some of those guys over there have some impressive saws.  I have spotted a couple of them over here as well already.  The guy that built the predator has a rotax saw as well, which got my head churning and started my latest project.  I am attempting to build a 690cc rotax powered chainsaw.  I took the motor out of my 91 Ski-doo Mach 1.  It has been bored out from 583cc.  I havent gotten too far yet except for getting it all apart and gathering a few things.  I have a salmon belly bar I bought off a guy from Australia I met at a logging contest.  I have enough 404 chain to run it after it is all together.  one major problem is how to handle the water cooling system.  I can either close it off or figure out to mount a smaller radiator and let it work.  Weight is proving to be a major concern, as I really wanted to run it as one man, instead of two like those guys with the car engines.  I am going to switch it to a premix gas instead of the oil injection system, at least that will cut down on some weight.  I have discovered a couplle rotax saws, but none that has 2 cylinders or water cooled, or over 500 cc.  Getting help or advice on building it is like asking for someones secret password or something.  I guess no one wants the extra competition!  I am also working on a couple antique saws and have heard of several guys running them, and plan to go to WI next summer.  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

johncinquo

I cant as it would hold together or not.  I have seen a few old Macs, that have taken over some Go kart engines and a few extra parts and they run like heck.  I am sure if you could build it, you can find a race to run it in.  They saw I am attempting to build will compete in what I believe is called the unlimited class, meaning anything goes.  I don't think I can compete against the car engines, I just want to run,and maybe beat other 2 cylinders or motorcycle saws.  I just picked up 2 free engines that I really want to work on.  one is a kawasaki motor out of an old john deere snowmobile.  It says 383 cc on the side so this ought to be fun!  They are both air cooled so about half my problem setting the other one up is gone.  Hey, set it up, and I am sure you can find a race!  I plan on going to MN next summer to race in a big old saw shootout kinda match up.  I can let you know where, when if you have a desire.  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Dennis

John..that is the problem with the 2-6 cylinder saws...they have to compete against the V8's...You have seen the V6 with nitrous...its alot of fun...but it doesnt win.  I have a KTM 540cc single cylinder that I am considering...It already has the crank reversed.  Forget about watercooling it....warm it up...race it...shut it down...you dont need the extra weight....the Rotaxs are 55lbs...70hp...that is alot to control right there....
Just Log It.

kiwis_rock

hi Sawyer40, just a quick note to see if you got much feed back about your 084 sthil as i am in the process of trying to get mine to go faster.

thanks Brett      

Sawyerfortyish

Hi kiwis I just got my hands on a 12 tooth sprocket .325 got a bar to run it with and also found out the local guys i'm trying to beat are running 100 octane go kart fuel and combustable 2 stroke oil so this will be a very interesting race this year. I'm just leveling the field so I can compete.

Dennis

You have your powerhead, now you need chain.  There are some guys out there that  build race chain....without it, you can't compete.  My single loop 24" cost me 500cdn, but without it...my saw can't compete.
Just Log It.

Larry

What's a race chain?  Assume its square but how is it different?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Sawyerfortyish

500 cdn so thats like 25 bucks US ;D But seriously where do you get these chains who can make them?

Dennis

Lol...apparently you haven't been watching the dollar lately...I think we closed at almost 75 cents usd today....

But seriously, there are a few links out there to building your own chain and I would be happy to provide them if you email me.  My particular chain was built by one of the best there is...an older fellow named Art Martin.  He no longer builds race chain except for a few.  I was lucky enough to have the opportunity this spring to go to his house and take some filing lessons.  Myself and a couple other guys stayed at his house, ate his food and drank his beer...lol...it was a fantastic weekend in California!!

Race chain is square ground, but has a tremendous amount of extra work done to it....If I tried to explain it, I couldn't do it justice.  Once again email me and I will give you the link.
Just Log It.

kiwis_rock

hi Dennis
             that information on chisel chain sharping that you were giving out sawyer40, could i please have the links as well
thanks brett.

Rob

Dennis,

You are right Art Martin is the man when it comes to building fast cutting chains..I'm sure you know I have read all 20 pages of his thread on chain filing as I'm sure you have as well,and I have put alot of his tips to use and let me tell you those tips worked excellent on the PP385 with some square ground chain  8)

Rob.

Thank You Sponsors!