iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Oil Thread 🙄

Started by JKendrick87, December 06, 2023, 04:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JKendrick87

A rep stopped by today and dropped this off... anyone have any experience running this?
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.

Walnut Beast

Many guys like their grease. I asked a Stihl head mechanic about using Amsoil in mine. His response was absolutely positive stuff from everything he's seen. It's  probably pretty good.

HuckFin

Is it recommended for chainsaws specifically?

JKendrick87

Quote from: HuckFin on December 06, 2023, 06:10:44 PM
Is it recommended for chainsaws specifically?
Anything two cycle according to the rep.
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.

Magicman

What I put in my Stihl chainsaws has Stihl written on the bottle.  I trusted their R&D which is why I bought the chainsaw so......
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JKendrick87

Quote from: Magicman on December 06, 2023, 07:20:44 PM
What I put in my Stihl chainsaws has Stihl written on the bottle.  I trusted their R&D which is why I bought the chainsaw so......
Understood sir, Love the chainsaws just not the oil, converted to Red Armor and have never looked back!

jhellwig

https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/228-706-td.pdf

It says meets or exceeds JASO FA, FB and FC and says TCW3 so people are either going to poo on it or poo themselves over it.

I messed up and original posted this one.  It at least goes to JASO FD
https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/346-9046-td.pdf
Sorry that is their regular one.
Murphy's Law is a pain in my butt.

barbender

My understanding is that the tc-w3 spec and JASO specs are very different targets, and trying to hit them both with the same oil compromises both. I run oil that is JASO spec only, made especially for air cooled engines.
Too many irons in the fire

Ianab

With modern synthetics it's possible to at least meet both standards. It mostly has to do with the temp the engine normally runs at, with water cooled running a bit cooler. With old school oils, that might mean the "air cooled" type didn't burn properly, and carboned things up. Or the "water" cooled" broke down at the higher temps, so didn't lube so well. Hence the 2 different standards and types of oil.

But with the fine tuning of the blend they can do with synthetic oils it's possible to formulate a recipe that works OK over a wider temp range.

Now it is possible that a modern oil specifically formulated for "air cooled" might exceed the minimum spec by more, and same for water cooled. So that might be a reason to choose those. But is that enough of a reason to run 2 different mix cans?  Especially if it's a multi use synthetic that that probably exceeds both standards anyway.

It's a bit like running different grades of engine oil for summer and winter, which was done before multi-grade oils came along. Now you just use synthetic 10W-50 and don't worry about the season.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JKendrick87

I may give it a shot for a can of gas since it was free, I normally run Red Armor and have been happy with it.

B.C.C. Lapp

I have probably tried a dozen or more different kinds of two cycle mix over the past thirty years.    It all worked fine.  I have never not once had a saw "blow up" as guys say, and I get long life out of most of my saws.   The motor's never go, the saws just wear out in other ways.     Its all the same stuff with different colors added.   
And that ain't from me. I was told that by two people. One that spent his working life in an oil refinery and the other was a Stihl rep. 
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

JKendrick87

I truly believe that! It's all a sales gimmick!

lxskllr

Once I've used my Stihl silver oil, I'll be switching to RedArmor, and I'm pulling my mufflers for inspection. I've heard stihl oil leaves more carbon deposits. I guess I'll see some time this winter. Using stihl(silver) oil technically violates echo's warranty. It doesn't meet spec. I doubt you'd get called on it, but you could.

realzed

After much agonizing and attempting to buy Stihl Synthetic (silver bottles) it became pretty clear than Stihl just doesn't want to sell that type of oil in these parts as none of the local dealers could get any in for months and some close to a year!
So I switched to Amsoil Saber oil and found it doesn't smoke at all - not that the Stihl stuff did all that much either - but I haven't noticed as much gunk plugging up the spark arrestor screens of any of my Stihl tools, trimmer, blower and saws as I previously did.
I still mix it at around 45:1 just like I did with the silver stuff and no smell at all is what I noticed after a few runs.. but other than that, if it can be used at 100:1 as Amsoil states - I'm sure all my engines are safe at the mix I use it at - so that is what I use now..
Don't understand Stihl's logic in making their synthetic hard or harder to get but it apparently has - thus Amsoil has me as a new fan!

jhellwig

I posted the wrong data sheet again.  It was for the 7000 not the 9000.

https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/248-9006-td.pdf

So now every one is in this thread.
Murphy's Law is a pain in my butt.

JKendrick87

Quote from: lxskllr on December 07, 2023, 09:00:25 AM
Once I've used my Stihl silver oil, I'll be switching to RedArmor, and I'm pulling my mufflers for inspection. I've heard stihl oil leaves more carbon deposits. I guess I'll see some time this winter. Using stihl(silver) oil technically violates echo's warranty. It doesn't meet spec. I doubt you'd get called on it, but you could.
That's why I made the switch my FS 110 and BG86 were so choked off from years of the silver bottle. I've noticed quite the improvement since switching.

JKendrick87

Quote from: jhellwig on December 07, 2023, 01:25:52 PM
I posted the wrong data sheet again.  It was for the 7000 not the 9000.

https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/248-9006-td.pdf

So now every one is in this thread.

Thank you for your time on this!

Walnut Beast

Quote from: realzed on December 07, 2023, 10:54:21 AM
After much agonizing and attempting to buy Stihl Synthetic (silver bottles) it became pretty clear than Stihl just doesn't want to sell that type of oil in these parts as none of the local dealers could get any in for months and some close to a year!
So I switched to Amsoil Saber oil and found it doesn't smoke at all - not that the Stihl stuff did all that much either - but I haven't noticed as much gunk plugging up the spark arrestor screens of any of my Stihl tools, trimmer, blower and saws as I previously did.
I still mix it at around 45:1 just like I did with the silver stuff and no smell at all is what I noticed after a few runs.. but other than that, if it can be used at 100:1 as Amsoil states - I'm sure all my engines are safe at the mix I use it at - so that is what I use now..
Don't understand Stihl's logic in making their synthetic hard or harder to get but it apparently has - thus Amsoil has me as a new fan!

Absolutely! That's one of their claims. Been running both in my Stihl saws. Amsoil actually recommends on their mixing ratios that you don't have to use as much but I keep at the regular ratio. Have the Stihl silver also. Amsoil on the bar oil and silver bar oil.

The Red Armor I run in other stuff. No problems but I have noticed that some of the mixture that sits on and around the outside of the plastic can seems to get sticky so I decided not to run it in the newer saws and roll With Stihl Premium and Amsoil

barbender

I run the Amsoil Saber as well, at 40:1. I want lots of high quality oil drowning my bearings😁 The Saber oil is the best deal for me for a high quality synthetic.

thecfarm

That Amsoil saber sounds good.
I mix husky oil 40:1.
I have enough of it to last me a couple years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DHansen

On the bottles of Amsoil Saber it states, "For maximum benefit, use the SABER Ratio."  I have been using the Saber oil for years, at 40:1, but have often wondered what benefits I am missing out on by not running the Saber Ratio?   I switched to Saber because I was having Exhaust screen plugging up on a 266XP running oil that left more deposits.  Looked like tar on the spark arrester screen.  I have no complains about the Amsoil Saber oil.  I also use Amsoil on the sleds and water toys.  I have had no issues with Husqvarna HP+ either.  We all have our preferences.  I could save money running the Saber ratio, but is it worth it?  I don't know.

barbender

If there was a definitive way to establish any engine failure was due to the oil ratio and Amsoil would cover it, sure I'll run the 100:1. As it is, I figure I can blow it on the math and even if I accidentally double the amount of gas, I'll still be within Amsoil's ratio recommendation😁

donbj

To me the higher the ratio/less oil, the less the bearings like it. Jmo
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

OH logger

I have ran the amsoil saber for 5-10 years now. I get it in the plastic bottles that have enough oil in them to mix in 6 gallons gas at 100:1. My gas cans are 2.5 gallon cans. I have a gravity tank at home with non corn gas on with no meter. So I just put in 3 gallon worth of amsoil (markings on bottle) and fill
The gas can to the top.  I'm guessing that's about 2.7 gallon or so. I checked it once at a gas station pump. So I'm a little richer than 100:1. Saws run great. A while back I  ran over a saw and ruined it.  My mechanic also sells me the amsoil took apart my saw and asked if he could use my jug and piston as part of his display. Looked brand new and the saw was WELL used. I used to use Stihl.  I'd never go back. My mechanic gave me the first bottle of amsoil and promised if I mixed it like the bottle said it'd be good. Saw smelled way different and hot.  I called him and said something isn't right. He said it's just burnin out the built up carbon. Saw came to life
john

barbender

I just can't do the 100:1. It's not the piston and cylinder I'm worried about, I want more oil on the bearings.

Keepfixin

Hello there, yes 100 to 1 does sound lean! But I have used amsoil saber oil to 75 to 1 and it burned good in my stihls. Also ran 50 to 1 and it left a cloud. So my assumption is that saber is a concentrated 2 cycle oil. Been using it for about 3 years now and no problems. Don't think 100 to 1 would be a good idea for any other 2 cycle oil though.
Jesus: The Way, the Truth, and the Life. John 14:6

lxskllr

I dunno. If it works, it works I guess, but any ratio over 50:1 wouldn't suit my head. Even at 40:1 it's a marvel these machines lubricate enough to not self destruct. 3.2oz per gallon? You could put that much whisky in a gallon of water and not feel anything after drinking it.

OH logger

Full time logging cuttin by hand and been using 5-10 years and mixing that way and have had nothin but success with it.
john

ehp

Klotz at 40 to 1 here and the highest test pump gas I can buy which is 94 octane , Klotz is not cheap but I buy it at a couple cases at a time

donbj

What? Is this thread finished? I was hoping this was the one to finally answer the mystery of what the best oil is and what the best mix is.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

barbender

Uncle Al already told us before, straight 30 at 10:1. Everything after that is just foolish talk😂

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Arcticmiller

I have a pile of still full synthetic ultra biodegradable unicorn milk....I bought it for the additional warranty with a new 261 and a leaf blower I recently purchased.... I hate it, mostly because it doesn't have much color. Mixed as recommended I can't tell if my fuel is mixed right. It kind of gives the fuel a little off color, but not enough to make me go "looks right" while topping off the tank. It kinda scared me the other day when I topped off. Second guessing whether or not I'd mixed it right. I don't like that feeling a bit.

The other thing is it smells rotten. It sure seems to burn clean though, no smoke or smell in the exhaust to speak of.

I've been using Lucas semi synthetic for the last 10-12 years, which is a nice shade of blue. There's no mistaking a correctly mixed fuel, and everything has held together on it. So once I run out of the stihl stuff I probably won't be buying more of it.

I may mix in a splash of Lucas with it to give it some real color though. Once the warranty period is up of course.

Nebraska

I second the nice color from the Lucas because its nice to be sure you grabbed the right jug. (Even though I write on them too.)

lxskllr

I'm pretty methodical about my mix fuel. My small containers only get 2stroke mix, and they aren't filled unless I have oil sitting there ready to go in, and the oil always goes in first. My 5G containers are for storage of pure gas. It's virtually impossible for me to straight gas my saws.

Arcticmiller

Quote from: lxskllr on January 03, 2024, 09:56:06 PM
I'm pretty methodical about my mix fuel. My small containers only get 2stroke mix, and they aren't filled unless I have oil sitting there ready to go in, and the oil always goes in first. My 5G containers are for storage of pure gas. It's virtually impossible for me to straight gas my saws.

I am pretty paranoid about making sure my stuff is mixed as well, and know I mixed the jug, but for my uses in Alaska above the arctic circle I work a lot in the dark with headlamps. The color doesn't stand out enough for my liking in those conditions.

A nice blue color is unmistakable. I do have 4 gallons of Husqvarna synthetic oil on the way to work through with the new 572xpg, not sure what its color is, but I hope it's a good stand-out color.

Ianab

Quote from: lxskllr on January 03, 2024, 09:56:06 PMI'm pretty methodical about my mix fuel. My small containers only get 2stroke mix, and they aren't filled unless I have oil sitting there ready to go in, and the oil always goes in first.

Similar here. I have a flat metal can that gets pre-mix, and a plastic one that gets straight gas, and like you, the oil goes in first.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JKendrick87

Quote from: lxskllr on January 03, 2024, 09:56:06 PM
Fortunately for me I'm the only one using my can and at this time I only need to mix a gallon at a time so it works out well. Through the season I'm using the can, this time of year I buy the ethanol free pre-mix red armor if it will happen to sit in the saws longer.

BlackberryPines

I've been running the Schaefer's 9000 mixed at 32:1 for about a year.  It runs good and clean even at 32:1.  I previously ran Castor 927, which brings back the nostalgia of dirt bike days, but it doesn't run as clean as the newer synthetics.  I've been running Schaefer's oils in all my trucks and equipment for about 8 years.  I believe there products are along the same quality as Amsoil.
-LT50 Wide, Cat 252, Stihl 461 & 261

Arcticmiller

Quote from: lxskllr on December 09, 2023, 09:17:54 AM
I dunno. If it works, it works I guess, but any ratio over 50:1 wouldn't suit my head. Even at 40:1 it's a marvel these machines lubricate enough to not self destruct. 3.2oz per gallon? You could put that much whisky in a gallon of water and not feel anything after drinking it.

I feel the same way, I burned up a saw once as a kid/young man after a boss handed me a saw and a jug of gas (light blue) that he'd forgotten to mix-there was just some residual color from the last fuel apparently. A brand new saw, made me feel pretty sick back then. Ever since I'd rather run fuel I'm not sure about in the mower or old truck and mix fresh.

JKendrick87

Quote from: Arcticmiller on January 06, 2024, 05:05:36 PM
Quote from: lxskllr on December 09, 2023, 09:17:54 AM

I feel the same way, I burned up a saw once as a kid/young man after a boss handed me a saw and a jug of gas (light blue) that he'd forgotten to mix-there was just some residual color from the last fuel apparently. A brand new saw, made me feel pretty sick back then. Ever since I'd rather run fuel I'm not sure about in the mower or old truck and mix fresh.
Man I would've definitely been gun shy after that! I'm only ever mixing my own cans! Hard to trust anyone else's mixing.

Arcticmiller

The worst part was it turned out not to be his saw, or even a business saw, to make things worse it was a new saw he'd borrowed from drumroll...my uncle who was his neighbor-he was going to clear a few down trees at his house then used it for the business after that. Small towns man.

JKendrick87

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Thank You Sponsors!