iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

saw chains

Started by David_c, August 31, 2003, 07:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David_c

couple questions? first on my husky 350 & 372 do they use the same files for sharpening the reason i ask is i have allways  taken them to be sharpened but i figure it's time i started doin it myself. I would also like to know what kind of saw chains you guys use. I think the ones came on them are ok but i would'nt mind somthing with more bite.

Kevin

Dave, check the drivers to see what the numbers are.
Measure between any three rivets center to center and divide by two to get the pitch.
Chisel chain cuts the best in clean wood.

http://www.cdcstihl.net/stihlpost/spring2001/chain.html

David_c

the 350 is.375 and the 372 is.75 what kind chain do they come with.

Kevin

.375 is 3/8 pitch , .75 is usually mechanical harvester pitch.
Now if you are making reference to the number on the driver as being 75 then that's likely 3/8 pitch with .063"gauge driver.
75 LG Oregon chain would be a good choice.
They usually come with safety chain due to liability.

David_c

75 is what i got from the math, on the driver is 30. what is machanical harvester? is the 75 LG oregon chain for the 3/8 pitch. I want to thank you for your help.

Kevin

The distance between three rivets is .75 or 3/4", divide that by two and you get .375 or 3/8"pitch.
What make is the bar?
Can you get me the numbers off the bar?
A mechanical harvester is a large tree processing machine.

David_c

i acually ment mecaical harvester pitch. it is a husky bar and i could have looked on bar an saw that driver it shows it says 325 inch. but when i mesured like you said then divide by two i come up with.375.

Kevin

There should be a number like 20 8 RN D D009 on the bar.
The bar, chain and drive sprocket all need to match the same pitch.

David_c

the only number i see that could be it would be 5089261-72

Kevin

I'm not familar with that number, is the bar removed from the saw?
That 30 on the chain sounds like the number on the cutter for depth gauge of .030" .

David_c

the 30 is on drive link. just took bar off no other numbers. just the number i gave before and that is right next OM original. it is a husky bar. no numbers on cutters just LV on raker lip.

Kevin

Does your manual make any reference to what your saw has?
Is that a 20"bar?

David_c

18 inch bar. it says pitch 0,325 i had bougth 2 new chains they are stihl pitch .325 gauge .050 rapid super ansi yellow are they safty type chains also. why would have told me to file at a 30 degree angle when on the file box it says 25. 23RS 72E

Kevin

That OEM is a franchise name related to Oregon.
You can see your dealer or send Blount an email and ask them to ID that bar number.

Here is a link to Stihl chain, 3 on the driver indicates .050".
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/identify.html

David_c

thanks for your help kevin i quess i will just have to talk to my dealer have a nice day.

Kevin

For the 350, .325 pitch, .050"gauge the Oregon 33LG Super Guard would be a good choice.
The other more aggressive option would be Oregon 20LP Super 20 if you don't mind the bumper drivers.

David_c

thanks that definitly helps. are the stihl chains i mentioned above (RAPID SUPER ANSI YELLOW 23RS 72E) comperable or would i be better off getting what you sggested. what are bumper drivers are they those 4 prog spikes on inside next to bar if so i have 1 would i need 2 with the super 20. also would i be better off upgrading the bars if so what would suggest.

Kevin

Here's a good Oregon link...  http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/ms_manual/ms_manual.pdf

I would keep what you have until it wears out, never put a badly worn chain on a new bar or a new chain on a badly worn bar.

This is from Stihl ...
Stihl recommends the use of green reduced kickback bars and green low kickback chains on all Stihl chain saws.

I don't use Stihl bars or chains but it's good quality.

This is a chain with bumper drivers ... anti kickback feature

You can see where the drive link comes up to to the raker.

David_c

those bumber drives are on the husky chain. what is yellow in stihl chains it looks more aggresive than the husky chain. the chains are what the dealer gave me when i asked for 2 extra  (had to pay for them of course) when i bought saw.

Kevin

ANSI B175.1 Chain Saw Kickback Standard
Stihl's green and yellow color code system serves to identify Stihl bars and chains with different kickback reduction characteristics. Green (go) marks those products which are designed to reduce the risk of kickback injury and comply with ANSI B175.1 kickback standard. Stihl's low kickback chain features a green triple-hump tie strap that identifies each loop as "low kickback" chain that meets the ANSI standard. Recommended for both the experienced and inexperienced chain saw user. Yellow (caution) marks products with increased risk of kickback injury. They are for use only by persons with extraordinary cutting needs and experience and specialized training in dealing with kickback conditions

David_c

I have used saws for years no real training worked for tree service in my younger days but i never did any sharpening. just figure it's high time i learnd. I am also taken the the game of logging class. class i was to take was full waiting to find out when i can. I have had a couple close calls though once i had chain leave 3 holes in pants in thigh woke me up now i wear chaps and pay closer attention. Found sites added to favorites list thanks.

Kevin

Quotei did'nt see the 33LG on that site

David, look at page 39 of 95 at the left side of the page.

David_c

acually i found it right after i had posted that so i mdified that post obliviously not soon enough. not the sharpest pencil in the box about as sharp as a baechball. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!